Anand states that a lot of NV30 info around is inaccurate

McElvis

Regular
He states that the NV30 IS ON TIME

I'm working on a piece about NV30 right now, there's a lot of information floating around and a lot of it is unfortunately inaccurate (which is usually the case). I hope to dispell a lot of rumors in this upcoming article, but it'll have to wait until after my final.

Also an update on the R300 -

Although Best Buy and other vendors seem to be indicating a September 15th availability date for R300 it seems as if you'll be able to get boards much earlier than that. We'll have a final review with final hardware well before that.

And finally some more Trident XP4 info -

One of the guys from Epic Games joined me for a meeting with Trident this afternoon where we got to see the XP4 in action running Unreal Tournament 2003. The card ran the latest build of the game just fine with a few minor rendering issues that can be attributed to the early nature of the drivers. The performance seemed respectable although I'm working on building an identical test system here (we couldn't bring our own system due to time/location constraints) so I can get Ti 4200/4400/4600 scores to compare to.

link : http://www.anandtech.com/news/shownews.html?i=3430&t=sn

Anand is told whatever he wants to hear, I will take a CEO's statement over what he is told by some PR guy..call me crazy.

...and what if we didn't understand the CEO properly? Is it completely impossible for the term tapeout to only refer to the first time a chip comes back from a foundry? Even though you go through the exact same process with each chip revision?

If there are NV30 beta boards knocking around and NV are not just doing the initial Tape-out, I would imaging the CEO being kept clear of investor question sessions in the future! :D

The CEO though was trying awful hard not to answer the question. No wonder people got the impression they did. It is a cynical world after all!!

I can't help but roll my eyes though whenever Anand makes these little statements. I admire the guy's smarts but no one could ever accuse him of being impartial. I often imagine him having one of those Red 'bat-phones' on his desk with a direct line to NVidia (and Epic Games!) PR departments. I don't visit his site much except if there's a review of some new tech. I really must read up on. You can almost base a drinking game around how many paragraphs he'll write before saying, "Product XXX is an great performer, however card YYY coming from Nvidia in Qtr. Z will almost certainly outperform it."

Qroach said:
...and what if we didn't understand the CEO properly? Is it completely impossible for the term tapeout to only refer to the first time a chip comes back from a foundry? Even though you go through the exact same process with each chip revision?

Ok lets assume that the chip has taped out...so now it is 100+ plus days to working cards..

Aug
Sept
Oct
Mid November

If it is a 256 bit bus these things just don't get drawn up on powerpoint overnight ...the Parhelia was two years in the making and the R300 over a year and a half..then .13 micron issues..TSMC 15% yields..then Nvidia stating 256 bit bus was overkill...

Ok lets over look all of this then on a shareholder call a analyst asks if the Nv30 is taped...and the reply was NO..

Ok overlooking that going back to the IF IT IS TAPED OUT TODAY that leaves working boards in Mid November...then 30 days for testing..driver optimizations...then shipping the product into Distribution channels and board makers..

= January on a best case scenario

Reality is if it happens..its a mirracle.

Re: Anand states that a lot of NV30 info around is inaccurat

McElvis said:
He states that the NV30 IS ON TIME

Ermm...maybe I've missed something, but where does he state that? The only thing I read was that Anand states that many people write BS about the NV30 and he is doing an article about NV30 to clear things up.

Regarding the NV30 time schedule that could mean either that the people
who write that the NV30 will not arrive until next year are wrong and it will be available in October or vice versa. He may also talk about something completely different. We do not know.

Oh boy here we go again :rolleyes: . Is there another topic to talk about ? Like the good workstation performance of the P10?

Qroach said:
...answer the question DT. Is it, or is it not completely impossible?

Anything is possible...Aliens could land tomorrow...Halle Berry could do another topless scene :p

I just look at facts plus some..other info I have.

ben6 said:
Oh boy here we go again :rolleyes: . Is there another topic to talk about ? Like the good workstation performance of the P10?

Yes the P10 looks great..Still no offical creative PR though on consumer level cards :(

Snyder said:
Ermm...maybe I've missed something, but where does he state that?

The title is: "XP4 in action, R300 soon and NV30 on-time" ;)

Not having read the article, only the quote you posted. I don't think he's talking about the Nv30 being late as one of the rumors. I can't imagine him saying late shipping is "unfortunately inaccurate". I think he would have said, "forutunately it is inaccurate". Then again, I was too lazy to read the whole article, so forgive me if it's stated somewhere else in the article.

Oops, musta posted the above while I was typing mine. My bad.

pxc said:
The title is: "XP4 in action, R300 soon and NV30 on-time" ;)

Oh well. Seems I've definitely missed something. ;)

There simply isn't enough info with this post to make any conclusions. I think we may have to wait for the actual whatever it is he is working on. Then whatever he has to say take it with a grain of salt as he is often one of nvidias mouth piece. Got notin more to say bout dis.

Hmmm....

Whoever is claiming that Anand does _not_ state that NV30 is "on time" didn't read the _whole_ post...

XP4 in action, R300 soon and NV30 on-time

I don't think it gets any clearer than that.

Doomtrooper said:
I just look at facts plus some..other info I have.

But weren't you the very one who earlier had said that the NV30 came back at .15um? Don't get me wrong, I really have no clue as to the status of the NV30 so I'm not arguing for either side but ...

Typedef Enum said:
Hmmm....

Whoever is claiming that Anand does _not_ state that NV30 is "on time" didn't read the _whole_ post...

XP4 in action, R300 soon and NV30 on-time

I don't think it gets any clearer than that.
Its called a mistake.
Chill out, its just your pet video card, not your life.

I dont see where Anand is saying that NV30 is on time. Maybe is my bad english :rolleyes: but what I understood:
- Anand is working on an article about the nv30
- a lot of info floating
- a lot of inaccurate info
- he hope to dispells the rumours

Now people please have a life :rolleyes:

Back