Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Again, the landscape is completely different. As I said, Sony could sell 30M PS5's in one year, that is the level of hype, digital "revolution" and general gaming industry status that we have in 2020-2021. Its not even close to 2013 where not only did we have many more foundries producing chips, gaming landscape wasn't as big as it is today (it was at the bottom actually).

Sony will produce more PS5s then PS4s till end of Q1, of course, but so will MS. And they will both sell it all, even though as it currently stands PS5 would take a big lead over Series if they weren't supply constrained - which they are. That is an issue Sony is having right now. They will sell all PS5s for next 2 years I think, but they will only sell them against what they can produce, and they would certainly want to produce more.

The question in my mind is how will ps4 sales hold up? As I understand it ps4 will stay around 3 more years. PS4 has potential to break ps2 sales record. At least it will act as entry level cheaper console. What happens when those ps4 users might upgrade to newer gaming device is interesting to see. Holiday season this year is interesting as it might be ps4 will also be sold out or on other extreme people might only want to have next gen consoles.

Why do you think PS5 will automatically be console of choice? Both consoles will be sold out for next 2 years so I think if 3rd party performance are to matter, they better continue for long enough time that they are not supply constrained.
Because 2 years in I would say it’s too late to turn the tide. And I do t think they will be supply constrained for 2 years - neither company will want to lose sales to the opposition because when a customer walks into a shop there’s only one choice and we know Sony (so far) seem to have the upper productive hand.

But hey, it’s just my PoV...you have yours.

Because 2 years in I would say it’s too late to turn the tide. And I do t think they will be supply constrained for 2 years - neither company will want to lose sales to the opposition because when a customer walks into a shop there’s only one choice and we know Sony (so far) seem to have the upper productive hand.

But hey, it’s just my PoV...you have yours.
I dont really have my POV on this. All that matters is number of waffers TSMC has, and they are fully booked for next year.

So the whole Standard vs Digital editions distribution thing just got very, very weird...

PS5 DE received but the box contains the disc version. So the guy paid 399 for the full day PS5. Result.

Can’t make this shit up.

Probably had more disk versions than digital versions so gave him a favor.

Signals that most people want the full version anyways to be future proof for 100 bucks.
What's 100 bucks? It's just an extra game with a season pass.

I dont really have my POV on this. All that matters is number of waffers TSMC has, and they are fully booked for next year.
Of course they are - why would they not be? Doesn’t mean that there won’t be enough made to fill demand for the next 2 years unless you know the figures of both supply and demand for the next 2 years?

Any idea why sony keeps refusing to support Bluetooth headphone audio? Maybe via LDAC or APTX-LL?

dunno with PS5, but on PS4, it use Bluetooth audio to deliver lag-free audio to gamepad if you plug wired headphone to gamepad. This Bluetooth audio mode only available when DS4 is in PS4 mode (pair by connecting USB cable to PS4), and not available when its on PC mode (holding PS logo and share until LED blinks)

EDIT: source https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps4/DS4-BT

EDIT: i mean reasons other than business reason, as sony probably have tidy profit margin from PlayStation branded headphones.

but then it also supports any other USB wireless audio headphone... and some sony headphones also already supports LDAC...

Sony is definitely researching a Pro model already but I agree that they'll need to be on one or two newer nodes before launching said model.
Although if anything, it looks like the PS5 is severely over-engineered (in good Sony fashion for all their initial console releases). The cooler and fan are nothing short of gigantic and the whole thing is pushing less than 200W at the wall. Take away PSU inefficiency + RAM + VRM + SSD + etc. and the SoC must be pushing below 150W.
One must wonder why the hell they're putting a 350W PSU in a console that doesn't seem like it'll ever push more than 250W.

Yes, I agree - I'm not saying it won't happen just that I can't see it being another massive box - but then, having said that it seems no-one really cares enough not to buy PS5...and it is only a product for those of us who will make the space to accommodate it. Certainly I hope they do make a Pro - I liked last mid-gen refresh.

I think the 350W PSU might be down to what Cerny was saying about building a machine to power to the max if required (or maybe I misunderstood). The PSU should be around 20% over the maximum draw I believe, that puts the maximum at 280W. This will cover every and any scenario that may be thrown at the PS5. That's my thought anyway.

Any idea why sony keeps refusing to support Bluetooth headphone audio? Maybe via LDAC or APTX-LL?

dunno with PS5, but on PS4, it use Bluetooth audio to deliver lag-free audio to gamepad if you plug wired headphone to gamepad. This Bluetooth audio mode only available when DS4 is in PS4 mode (pair by connecting USB cable to PS4), and not available when its on PC mode (holding PS logo and share until LED blinks)

EDIT: source https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps4/DS4-BT

EDIT: i mean reasons other than business reason, as sony probably have tidy profit margin from PlayStation branded headphones.

but then it also supports any other USB wireless audio headphone... and some sony headphones also already supports LDAC...
It is probably a technical limitation. When the controller connects to the console it is likely using something non standard over bluetooth. I believe we still can't get high quality audio output and voice input at the same time using standard profile or whatever. Of course there is also latency issue. Yes, you can use aptx, but aptx is proprietary. I believe only devices with qualcomm (including csr) use aptx. It seems Sony is using something from NXP. I don't think LDAC latency (at least using standard implementation) is low enough.

Back