Nvidia Ampere Discussion [2020-05-14]

Something interesting.
What it's interesting is that the GeForce2 was launched in September 2000, exactly twenty years ago.
The cards may be expensive, but what about the jump in actual power and visual fidelity? Will Nvidia reach that "goal"?
I wonder if Jensen remembers that.
Which goal ? 20 years old Pixar animation IQ ? Maybe. Today's ? Hell no.

Which goal ? 20 years old Pixar animation IQ ? Maybe. Today's ? Hell no.
Would be nice to get something in between.

I remember seeing the first shrek (yea its a dreamworks movie so sue me) and when they go to fight the dragon I thought wow this would be amazing for a rpg

I mean this is a 19 year old movie and I'd still love to enter a game that looked this good

and then Shrek 2 in 2004 blows that out of the water.

Last edited:
Board size is probably still the same. The cooler is what has been bulking up generation over generation
This cooler is actually smaller than the aftermarket coolers on currently available 2080 Ti cards from Asus and Gigabyte.
Also noteworthy that this cooler is different from what was leaked back in June - the old leak showed a 2-slot design more or less the same size as that of 2080 FE - which is likely what 3080 will get.
So I kinda don't understand the fuss about it.

This cooler is actually smaller than the aftermarket coolers on currently available 2080 Ti cards from Asus and Gigabyte.
Also noteworthy that this cooler is different from what was leaked back in June - the old leak showed a 2-slot design more or less the same size as that of 2080 FE - which is likely what 3080 will get.
So I kinda don't understand the fuss about it.
The 2-slotter had RTX 3080 markings on it too, so yes.

After reading this, I wondered if Pixar uses Nvidia GPUs, so I googled it.

https://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/...logy-for-accelerating-feature-film-production

Of course, even AMD have a dedicated product for their type of work and game engines even became viable tools.
That happened before programmable shaders on commercial GPUs and before the people from SGI made the OpenGL abstraction to make the farmwork for RenderMan viable on desktops.
https://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~ravir/6160-fall04/papers/p425-peercy.pdf

They would not be doing this unless they were forced to.

That much, I think, is obvious. Since Kepler they've had plenty of headroom, so what other reason is there to blow past the efficiency curve so totally with Ampere? My only question would be: What does Nvidia see as necessary? Through the lens of 10+ years ago, resorting to this kind of cooling would point to an FX-level disaster. Today perhaps, Nvidia has it in their head that it would be unacceptable for AMD to be within, say, 20% of their top card. Either way, things are going to get interesting!

Again, there's nothing particularly strange in such cooling. 2080Ti had bigger coolers and we're not in a water cooled as a reference FuryX situation obviously.
What it points to so far is to NV's desire to have as much headroom as possible in a reference design. Why is an unknown for now.

2080Ti had bigger coolers.

There will always be some AIB that slaps a monstrous cooler on a card. Totally irrelevant.

What it points to so far is to NV's desire to have as much headroom as possible in a reference design.

When you resort to esoteric cooling, it's because you're consuming headroom. It's not like NV isn't going add the extra manufacturing cost out of the goodness of their hearts.

That happened before programmable shaders on commercial GPUs and before the people from SGI made the OpenGL abstraction to make the farmwork for RenderMan viable on desktops.
Ah! And Hydrox cookies actually came first, in 1908, four years before the Oreo.

Somewhere between 3 slots and gigantic finstacks.

There's also the part that they pursued sheer finstack area so aggressively that one of the fans blows air in the wrong direction, sacrificing the thermals of every other component in the system. That's was pretty esoteric before blowing the thing up to consume three slots.

Back