Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Are people that attached to the idea of having every device in black?
Because its unobtrusive. You don't want to see these items. Imagine if every device you had was brightly coloured - your house would look like Kindergarten. And a clash of conflicting aesthetics too if they all go extreme in the stylings.

Companies have been selling CE goods for decades, and they've learnt what people want. ;)

Great explanation.
It's a good explanation, but everything he says applies equally to heatpipes, it's the same thing. It would have been helpul to go over the advantages/disadvantages of vapor chambers over heatpipes, since most people are probably already familiar with heatpipes.

We are reaching high power density with 7nm, and this might be the generation where vapor chamber would cost less than the 8x or more heatpipes and larger heatsink cross-section, to provide something equivalent in terms of noise, and the size difference becomes more and more dramatic between the two.

https://celsiainc.com/heat-sink-blog/vapor-chamber-vs-heat-pipe/
Heat Pipes Are the Best Choice If:
  • Nominal power densities are <25 w/cm2
  • Ambient temperatures are nominal – let’s call this below 45oC
  • Cost is a key consideration – every penny counts!
Vapor Chambers Should be Considered If:
  • Power densities are high – certainly by the time they hit 50 w/cm2
  • A high degree of isothermality is a critical design element
  • Atypically high ambient temperatures and/or low air flow
  • Performance is a key consideration – every degree counts

From that list: we should now reach above 25w/cm2, but still far from 50w/cm2. Ambient temps are still consumer level 35C. Cost is still a key consideration, and this time heatpipes might be bigger and heavier to reach the same performance, and might end up pricier than vapor chamber. Low airflow is not directly required, what we need is low air velocity, which is why the best CPU air coolers still use heatpipes and they can cool 200W extremely quietly (very large cross-section means very low air velocity, so low noise, even if the airflow volume is relatively high).

Last edited:
With the simplicity of expanding the storage later, I doubt they want headlines with such prices. The vast majority of gamers won't need more than 825 for at least the first year or two as the big AAA start to come out. And the more we wait until we buy an expansion, the lower it will cost.

I expect a year or two after launch I'll add a 2TB nvme and I'll be set for the rest of the generation with 2.8TB, if games are twice the size of the ps4 games with only a few exceptions that might reach 200GB like there were a few exceptions at 100GB on PS4. And my 1TB is feeling a bit short towards the end.

Also that 2TB nvme is taken out at the end of the generation and used elsewhere, be it ps6 or PC or laptop, or even a PS5 slim, or a PS5 Pro, etc.... Paying $100 more for proprietary storage feels like money thrown out the window.

Last edited:
With the simplicity of expanding the storage later, I doubt they want headlines with such prices. The vast majority of gamers won't need more than 825 for at least the first year or two as the big AAA start to come out. And the more we wait until we buy an expansion, the lower it will cost.

I expect a year or two after launch I'll add a 2TB nvme and I'll be set for the rest of the generation with 2.8TB, if games are twice the size of the ps4 games with only a few exceptions that might reach 200GB like there were a few exceptions at 100GB on PS4. And my 1TB is feeling a bit short towards the end.

Also that 2TB nvme is taken out at the end of the generation and used elsewhere, be it ps6 or PC or laptop, or even a PS5 slim, or a PS5 Pro, etc.... Paying $100 more for proprietary storage feels like money thrown out the window.
PS5 and PS5 digital edition will both have 825 GB base modols (825 GB is not enough if users want to install PS4 BC games for faster loading).

I expect 1.65 TB or even 3.3 TB will be available. Because Sony can sell these model

with high profit to balance the loss of PS5 digital if it is priced at $399.

PS5 and PS5 digital edition will both have 825 GB base modols (825 GB is not enough if users want to install PS4 BC games for faster loading).

I expect 1.65 TB or even 3.3 TB will be available. Because Sony can sell these model

They’ve already said that it’s 825GB. That’s it. For now an external HDD will suffice for archiving games, which are moved to the SSD when needed.
When suitable SSDs are released, we will then be able to penetrate our PS5s with a suitably large one and that will give us the space that we need. Until that also isn’t enough anymore and we do the same thing we do now. Delete, reinstall, or perhaps archive to external HDD.

I expect those will be available too, but it'll be by way of a bundled secondary SSD. No need to faff around with the logistics of differing amounts of internal storage, when they can focus on two models (identical except for the ODD) and bundle SSD's of varying capacities.

They’ve already said that it’s 825GB. That’s it. For now an external HDD will suffice for archiving games, which are moved to the SSD when needed.
When suitable SSDs are released, we will then be able to penetrate our PS5s with a suitably large one and that will give us the space that we need. Until that also isn’t enough anymore and we do the same thing we do now. Delete, reinstall, or perhaps archive to external HDD.
And it will feel even bigger because there's already one in there.

COD warzone which is multiplayer only is a 100 gigs while RDR2 is 150 and Destiny 2 Shadow keep is 165 gigs. So your looking at 5 to 8 games. Doesn't really seem like much to me. Going to be a lot of juggling of games and what price do we think the 2TB nvme drive will be ? I guess maybe you can buy a cheap large external HDD and keep transferring back and forth ?

Wow. 19 million views in 3 days. 1 million likes. It's going to become playstation most viewed youtube video in a week if this trend continues.

There were just short of 2 million watching the English live stream, 1.955 000 while the others languages were anything from 150k up to over 450k watching. That is without streamers doing their own stream e.g. SummerGameFest, YongYea, IGN etc. It was insane watching the live stream numbers go up when it went live.

Last edited:
How about 549 or 599 because its 1.65 TB?
I'm not convinced they'll go that route. Why bother, when they can sell it at a lower price and charge a fair whack for an official, secondary SSD?
I agree, Sony themselves said that they intend to get consumers to move as quickly as possible to the PS5 from the PS4 so selling at a lower price would be ideal. Selling at $599 would not be even though there would be people buying a 1.65TB at $599.

There were just short of 2 million watching the English live stream, 1.955 000 while the others languages were anything from 150k up to over 450k watching. That is without streamers doing their own stream e.g. SummerGameFest, YongYea, IGN etc. It was insane watching the live stream numbers go up when it went live.

With many more being home due to covid-19, high numbers where to be expected.

Because its unobtrusive. You don't want to see these items. Imagine if every device you had was brightly coloured - your house would look like Kindergarten. And a clash of conflicting aesthetics too if they all go extreme in the stylings.

Companies have been selling CE goods for decades, and they've learnt what people want. ;)

IMO it's not unobtrusive at all, unless you somehow live in an ultra goth house, but a lot of people seem to have a strong opinion about it (that always seems more like "ewwww NOT black??!!") but hell, if it's what the customer wants, and it's just another color SKU, not a huge deal.

Also they seem to be coy about the price, probably so they can judge what supply they can get versus what demand they have. If there's some supply constraint that means there's only 2 million units available, just an example, then maybe they can sell that many for $599 and drop the price quickly next year.

There will be less room to walk around the room, with this thing in it! ;)

It's even worse than you think when it starts quacking and following you around the room.

o0d861jcwl451.jpg

Regards,
SB

Back