Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I think even chains like best buy are in the narrows. Only place where I have really seen physical consoles is costco around black friday. I have completely moved my electronics purchases online.

When you think of it, the actual usable space on 825GB will probably be only around 700GB? So it wouldn't be surprising if the digital edition is a larger capacity...
I expect PS5 to use a much thinner filesystem for the SSD than what PS4 uses, I.e. a lot more usable space.

Reactions: JPT
Yeah. DD only at launch, what happens if Sony gets the SKU balance wrong? Might hurt sales records if people wait for the out-of-stock console.

I don't see why Sony (or even MS) couldn't release an external optical drive for installs. DRM might be a problem, but if they can't do it over standard USB via encryption or something, they could just use a proprietary port. The cost likely goes up a little for people that want an optical drive with their console but the plus would be that you'd only need one physical console and if someone got the DD console (if there's still 2 physical consoles) but later decide they want to use optical occasionally (borrowing games from friends to try out, for example) they can either buy an optical drive or borrow an optical drive from a friend.

Regards,
SB

Didn't the lame versions of previous consoles fail to sell? I vaguely recall 360 Arcades and 20 GB PS3 just sat on shelves.
Arcade was a gimped system.
Where you needed to plug a usb drive in for some games.
Also its not really apples to apples comparison.
The market for a digital only console has been growing year in, year out for a while now.
On PS5 your just missing the optical drive that a lot of people already don't use on their console. For the people that do, got a model for them.
Allow the market to naturally move to DD over time.
(borrowing games from friends to try out, for example) they can either buy an optical drive or borrow an optical drive from a friend.
Isn't this explicitly used as a selling point for gamepass? You and your friend have same games to choose from. Here:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/06/10/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-future-of-xbox/
Xbox Game Pass fundamentally changes how people play games. Think about all the constraints that gaming operates under today. Your games will only play on the device you bought them on and you can only play with your friends if they each buy the same games, too. And every game either requires a big up-front investment or an even bigger investment down the line to access all the content. Xbox Game Pass is changing all that. One low price, a common library of the best games across all your devices for you and your friends on the same plan to enjoy.

I'm sure Sony will look to promote that aspect next gen at some point.

Last edited:
I think Amazon probably doesn't really care....Walmart probably does cares a bit....Gamestop/EB Games is shitting bricks...

Gamestop has been shifting away from gaming itself to more gaming adjacent . They have been devoting more and more floor space to pops , clothes and other gaming memorabilia. They have 3 trial store concepts one of them being more of a local mom and pop gaming store where you go for pokemon/ magic events and DnD and stuff and another one is more of a retro store.

Amazon doesn't care as they can just sell digital cards which means very little inventory costs and with digital digital cards they just need a code and nothing else .

Target / Walmart / BestBuy can just get rid of huge sections of low margin games. They can instead stock DD cards which are worthless if stolen and use some of the space they got back from games to stock higher margin gaming stuff like head phones or controllers or cases and what not.

Its what I've been saying for a long time.

The fins probably serve thr same purpose as PS4 slanted design: to make sure it got certain minimum airflow / distance from wall / cabinet edge, etc.

The fins probably serve thr same purpose as PS4 slanted design: to make sure it got certain minimum airflow / distance from wall / cabinet edge, etc.
Yes there's definitely that.

I would also speculate it might have been designed from simulations to control turbulence. The outlet grid is shaped with tell tale signs of trying to reduce turbulent edges at the intersection of the in/out pressure difference. Extending it with the flat white parts would push that pressure "wall" at a place where there's no sharp edge. Micro-textured surfaces also reduce drag I think, we can see the white part is textured on the inside. But it could also be just a coincidence because it can't be a big impact. I shouldn't read papers where I don't understand half of the words.

Bit like here, not really representative of Joe blogs.
But 33% DD isn't actually that bad I would think.
Considering the recent politically correct trend of axing films and entire tv shows from streaming media, some sort of hard media is going to be a necessity, at least to keep the games in circulation, even if it means hacking to play them.

Last edited:
There better be a way to lay it on its side ...
The stand is shaped to work horizontally, that's why it looks different for both models. It's the radius of the bottom when placed horizontal.

I expect magnets?

Sony-PS5-On-Side.jpg

Thanks that the first pic I've seen of it laid on its side.

Now just sort out the HDMI 2.1 thing.

I don't think there's a UHD Blu Ray player which has 2.1 yet. Not sure if UHD Blu Ray spec supports the higher frame rates and bandwidth of 2.1 though. But presumably PS5 will have apps. which stream UHD HDR video and potentially Dolby Atmos audio.

Back