Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [pre E3 2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
7nm transistors are 2.56x power efficient than 16nm. If Navi really has 1.5x power efficiency than previous GCN. Can we expect next-gen consoles with 1.5 x 2.56 = 3.84 x performance of xbox one x?
I've been searching around for footnotes or specifics on this comparison. It's more significant and impressive if compared to Vega 7, and I'd like AMD's position to be fully clarified since it has been known to use misleading start and end points for its comparisons in the past.

Navi is an all new architecture RDNA, not GCN.
Everything we know about it says it's still GCN, it's just being split into "Compute-GCN" and "Gaming-RDNA" with some differences, but the underlying architecture staying same

Going by the LLVM changes for GFX10, if someone were to stumble unknowingly into a Navi ISA doc, I think it would be very recognizable as a GCN or GCN derivative.
In the Navi thread, there is some debate as to what "GCN" can be defined as before deciding what can be defined as being "not-GCN".
There are elements to the architecture disclosed so far that would actually be more familiar to Sea Islands or the current gen consoles than someone looking at Fiji and beyond.

There are some signs of significant changes, such as the mostly undescribed cache hierarchy that might pass some threshold of being new-enough to be considered an distinct evolutionary successor. Whether that's a successor of a single unbroken line of GCN generations or an amalgamation of features from different console and client/compute products is not easy to determine from the outside.

Since the GCN architecture as a marketing concept has been rather haphazard on what counts as a feature of an overall architectural model versus implementation detail, something arbitrarily put together by AMD could be more arbitrarily declared to be different as well.

I 100% agree, however, if the RDNA architecture matches the Nvidia's Turing architecture in performance (in non-RT gaming) or is trading blows (wins) more equally between gaming titles, then its architecture design/heritage/lineage becomes less problematic from PR-marketing standpoint. That being said, if the RDNA architecture is being outperformed handily by Nvidia's Turing architecture (in non-RT gaming), then that's a PR nightmare waiting to happen for a supposed new architecture.

I'm more interested in the watt and performance improvement and if it's comparing it to Radeon 7 that is also manufactured on 7nm.
So if it's a architecture improvement or manufacturing improvement.
Assuming it's an architectural improvement what can we expect for next gen then?

They did say it's going to be powering the next AMD graphics chips for a decade. So I doubt it's just a small change to the architecture.

Last edited:
I 100% agree, however, if the RDNA architecture matches the Nvidia's Turing architecture in performance (in non-RT gaming) or is trading blows (wins) more equally between gaming titles, then its architecture design/heritage/lineage becomes less problematic from PR-marketing standpoint. That being said, if the RDNA architecture is being outperformed handily by Nvidia's Turing architecture (in non-RT gaming), then that's a PR nightmare waiting to happen for a supposed new architecture.
Bah.
On their slides, it was actually the next chip that was going to introduce a new architecture, and it would be coming out next year or so. If RDNA doesn't perform convincingly against Turing, then NewDNA will be the new shiny next year, and people will bicker about that instead.
nVidia does this all the time with their Kepler-Maxwell-Pascal-Volta-Turing monikers while AMD has used GCN and a version number. AMD would be wise to use these versions for marketing just like nVidia, then they can wave a "generational leap" in front of consumers much more frequently.

this is least logical because that means all third party developers can't take advantage of it either meaning only Sony's exclusives would have to be developed with this and be the only games to take advantage of it.

I think the posit is that the nextgen consoles could engineer out many of the slow I/O (loading time) architecture bottlenecks that current consoles and PCs suffer. If that was the case some third party developers (and Sony first party developers) may chose to develop games that simply won't work on PC and if that's the case, where does that leave Microsoft's first party lineup as they have committed to support Windows in future.

I don't buy it either but the gamers are fickle and nobody likes loading screens. I buy some multi-platform games on PC because of long-loading times on consoles. Will PS5 have me mothballing the gaming PC hooked up to my TV? :runaway: Instant on, sleep/resume and almost no loading? Hell, yes! :yes:

Dr Lisa Su at AMD Computex:
Dr Lisa Su at AMD CES: (Microsoft) is really looking at revolutionizing the console era for the next decade
Dr Lisa Su at GDC: (Google) is really looking at revolutionizing the console era for the next decade
Dr Lisa Su at AMD XXX: (Your favorite company who is partnering with us) is really looking at revolutionizing the console era for the next decade
Jen Sen Huang at whatever: Nvidia invented everything

Amazing how this PR thing works..:rolleyes:

Seems about right when you add a 70mm^2 CPU and a little I/O.

I've been searching around for footnotes or specifics on this comparison. It's more significant and impressive if compared to Vega 7, and I'd like AMD's position to be fully clarified since it has been known to use misleading start and end points for its comparisons in the past.

AMD claimed a 1.25X perf increase iso power for Radeon 7, so the 1.5X factor would actually be a regression comparatively (1.25X times 1.25X is 1.56X). If that were the case, I would peg it on the memory power dragging it down.

It depends how they compare the architectures because I doubt Navi is running at the same TDP. Same clocks, perhaps? In either event, it should be at a better place on the perf/Watt curve because it’s not pegged at 300W. And we also know it’s not a 300W card because it only beats RTX 2070 by 10% in Strange Brigade, whereas R7 beats the 2080 in that benchmark.

Last edited:
Guys, the PCI-Ex 4.0 test, could this be related to Nvme streaming capability to GPU?

No solid details here, but my gut feel is that's more of a test on CPU capabilities less on GPU capabilities and how the system can handle reading back from GPU memory while sending new data.

RDNA is GCN based....It's just marketing fluff...instead of calling it GCN 6
Did people also say that Pascal is Maxwell based, and the name change was just marketing fluff?
Or Turing is Volta based and it's marketing fluff?

Did people also say that Pascal is Maxwell based, and the name change was just marketing fluff?
Or Turing is Volta based and it's marketing fluff?

Yes, "people" did note at the time that Pascal was basically a die shrunk higher clocked Maxwell. Now, regarding Turing, although it is based on Volta, it does include RT functionality which is a completely new dedicated part of the graphics pipeline, as far as we know.

Regardless of names, did the AMD keynote actually reveal anything that would give us some info on what will be in the next gen consoles? From where I was sitting, it looks like the PS5 will get a 3700 with some kind of Navi GPU, which look quite expensive right now, so what am I missing?
I guess if we get July 2019 tech in 2020, then that’s a bit of a cost save...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back