Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [pre E3 2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not just use Scorpio as a Base console then? I highly doubt the base line for next gen is anywhere as low as 4-6 tf, even 8tf is low balling. Third Party would have heck of a nightmare if they have to design their next gen game in the chains of a 4tf console.
Few simple reasons why you wouldn't want to use scorpio engine.
  1. Possible that it is a binned version therefore improving yield and costs
  2. Archetectual changes: mccc, working (amd version) mesh shades, hopefully new texture formats etc.
Regarding 2, you don't want to have to build different engines, having the same IP for gpu means you can scale pretty easily, so just aim at 1080p for example.
If you use scorpio engine then you give developers more reason not to use the newer tech.
That 4tf could perform like the old 6tf.

I've not been about so I don't know what is the new thoughts on things.
But I could still see:
  1. $100 diskless streaming device
  2. $200 offline, also hybrid streaming where it uses local compute also. Mayby 1080p when offline, 1440p when hybrid mode. Something that has been worked on before and they've mentioned
  3. $500 4k
2 and 3 could both have diskless models. I don't see the point in only top end model having disks if games are being shipped physically.

First of all, I keep reading “diskless” as “dickless”. Sorry.

But back on topic, wouldn’t it just make more sense to put in a next gen CPU next to a Scorpio level 6Tf GPU and call it a day, rather than this very weird sounding 4Tf “concrete” rumour?

Perhaps it speaks to efficiency/architectural improvements? Who knows. :???:

It could just be a scarlett herring. Bizarre.

neutral-face-messenger.png

First of all, I keep reading “diskless” as “dickless”. Sorry.

But back on topic, wouldn’t it just make more sense to put in a next gen CPU next to a Scorpio level 6Tf GPU and call it a day, rather than this very weird sounding 4Tf “concrete” rumour?
Then you would have to build cross gen games (in relation to gpu tech) for the life of the next gen. You wouldn't be able to just scale the graphics.
What if it's got new better texture formats, mesh shading from Vega but working, memory cache controller, you wouldn't be able to use any of that in the lower end device. The only one of those that we don't know about is texture format, the others are already Vega tech.

You basically raise the base gpu IP level to a standard level by using a cut down version of the top end chip.

Curious about the BC in the lower end device. Does it run as XO or as 1X.
4TF Navi coded specifically for it may perform like 6TF Polaris, but probably won't be the case when just running the same binary.

Why not just use Scorpio as a Base console then? I highly doubt the base line for next gen is anywhere as low as 4-6 tf, even 8tf is low balling. Third Party would have heck of a nightmare if they have to design their next gen game in the chains of a 4tf console.

Any new base system needs a similar CPU to not limit the design for the game world/FPS. Scaling the display to 1080p/dynamic resolution shouldn't be such a problem as they already do that for X1/X.

What I don't believe is 1TB SSD for a console at X1S price. The price differential between SSD and HDD at 1TB is still about 3x.

If MS is indeed launching next console in late 2020, this E3 unveil [and GDC dev breefing] seems premature to me. But they most likely have nothing else great planned for Xbone, and they could want to seize every marketing advantage they can.

They announced Xbox One X at E3 2016 and it launched in late 2017...

They had to counter the ps4pro announcement, it was a reasonable gamble. The theory is that not announcing anything would have been even worse on their sales.

It's probably not the case with next-gen.

Slightly different circumstances.
1X was launching year later, XO was struggling sales wise against ps4 already.
It was basically a spoiler tactic.

Not saying they won't do it, just that it was probably situation

MS regularly communicates everything they do early. This is because they do not have the same good will pull that their competitors have.
They cannot just drop a comms and have it on sale next week, it will flop, whereas some communities like Apple, Sony, Nintendo, would be willing to dive in head first.

Getting out their communications first helps them guide their communications processes. They know better than waiting too late for leaks to destroy them, so they come out earlier to control the messaging while they can. Unfortunately that leads to some awkward communications at times, because the product is still subject to change.

MS regularly communicates everything they do early. This is because they do not have the same good will pull that their competitors have.
They cannot just drop a comms and have it on sale next week, it will flop, whereas some communities like Apple, Sony, Nintendo, would be willing to dive in head first.

Getting out their communications first helps them guide their communications processes. They know better than waiting too late for leaks to destroy them, so they come out earlier to control the messaging while they can. Unfortunately that leads to some awkward communications at times, because the product is still subject to change.
1.5 years to try to get messaging out?
The main reason they may mention hardware is because, anytime they mention streaming they feel they have to reassure the console buyer.
I expect them to talk streaming, therfore a little on consoles like mentioning 3 in family etc.
But you never know.

I feel people are confident about their hardware now post 1X, it's their 1p games and exclusives people need convincing about.

It will be interesting to see how much detail they reveal

New consoles were always announced a 1-1.5 years early. Last time things were different because everyone started to follow what Apple was doing with the short announcement to release cycle. Things could swing back the other way to the early announcement.

I don't think it will have that much impact on the casual buyer. An early announcement is for the hardcore audience who is likely an owner already.

Technically they announced last e3 I suppose.
For me it's about the detail they go into.
Is it them just saying 3 models at different price points for everyone.
Or 1X level of detail etc.

I do agree they will likely mention it as I expect them to talk about streaming somewhat also.

When people say reveal are you talking 1X type, specs, board layout etc

E3 2020 will likely be the full reveal if they decide to do it that way. All eyes will be on collaboration with NSW; Gamepass with XCloud on switch is going to be MS best vector into the Asian market and the EU market.

both of those areas where Xbox does generally poorly compared to Sony have much better internet, giving Xbox a serious chance to enter the market.

Count on e3 2019 to be about a lot of
Different things they are working on; the Digital only XBO, possibly the 2 next gen hardware SKUs. And ideally their collaboration with Nintendo.

E3 2020 will likely be the full reveal if they decide to do it that way. All eyes will be on collaboration with NSW; Gamepass with XCloud on switch is going to be MS best vector into the Asian market and the EU market.

both of those areas where Xbox does generally poorly compared to Sony have much better internet, giving Xbox a serious chance to enter the market.

Count on e3 2019 to be about a lot of
Different things they are working on; the Digital only XBO, possibly the 2 next gen hardware SKUs. And ideally their collaboration with Nintendo.
This was pretty much my guess also.
I was just thinking people meant a specs reveal like the 1X.

I think they will try to give a vision of sorts, may be in a position to demo xcloud even.

1tb ssd in lower end model also though? sounds bit expensive to me. But then I've always been going on about multiple hierarchy storage to augment mechanical drive.

This was pretty much my guess also.
I was just thinking people meant a specs reveal like the 1X.

I think they will try to give a vision of sorts, may be in a position to demo xcloud even.

1tb ssd in lower end model also though? sounds bit expensive to me. But then I've always been going on about multiple hierarchy storage to augment mechanical drive.
the nvme drive reduces CPU cycles when concerning accessing the hard drive. This is important piece of the puzzle, because I still don't believe it's Zen 2. Sorry.
Custom CPU, carrying forward whatever work they completed on X1X.

the nvme drive reduces CPU cycles when concerning accessing the hard drive. This is important piece of the puzzle, because I still don't believe it's Zen 2. Sorry.
Custom CPU, carrying forward whatever work they completed on X1X.
I personally don't think even zen 1 would be a problem. Obviously zen + or 2 would be nicer though.
When you say custom CPU what base are you talking from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back