Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still impressive looking game, just comparing to top end games like HZD, GoW and Origins its not that long away from it, i mean over 10 years difference. What if developers would create something like the first Crysis again, not limiting to consoles. Imagine a Crysis 2018 on a core i9, Titan V, 64gb ram :p

Voluemtric clouds, voluemtric lighting, self shadowing POM, lit particles and SSAO are indeed impressive for 2007. Unfortunately, the shading was not up to the quality of the 2006 demo and Crysis Warhead was technically more advanced in lighting as far as I remember. The Motion blur looked very good especially with the blurred outflying shells of the handguns and the nanosuit allegedly consisted of about 70 000 polygons which would be multiple times ahead of all other games at that time.
I dont understand why Yerli said the 2011 console version looks better.

Hopefully we will soon get more destruction and interaction possibilities in games again.
gotta try Crysis Warhead (I have the GoG version but barely touched it). The original Crysis (also I got the GoG version, Crysis 2 on Origin, and Crysis 3 on Steam :D) is a tough cookie even to today's standards. My RX 570 had a tough time running it at 60fps with certain settings -that's paired with a Ryzen 1500X, a pretty decent CPU if you ask me-.

I recently switched my RX 570 to a 1060 3GB card but haven't tested the game yet. I usually play on my laptop, which features a 7700HQ and a 1050Ti but haven't tested Crysis yet. Crysis 2 runs quite fine if you ask me, at 1080p60 already, so I have high hopes for Crysis Warhead.

New DF video (can't watch it, metered connection). Dark Souls remastered vs DSfix:

one of my favourite questions. :)Can it run Crysis?

I think it's funny he mentions Netburst and Intel's dreams of 10 GHz. With the Core 2 Duo available almost a year and a half before Crysis' release, I figure Crytek could've reoptimized the engine to better scale across multiple cores.

It certainly didnt help the console versions that released 2011 :)

My arguments with friends and on forums about Crysis ever appearing on consoles was always a problem with memory, not CPU or graphics. I would just about argue that Crysis on 360 and PS3 is not the same game.

Red Dead Redemption 2 Trailer #3 Analysis! New RAGE Engine Tech Upgrades

Our third peak of perhaps this year's most anticipated game is also the longest. Tom dissects two minutes of new, pristine-quality footage supplied directly by Rockstar - where the upgrade from the likes of Grand Theft Auto 5 - and certainly the original Red Dead Redemption - are more apparent than ever before.

My arguments with friends and on forums about Crysis ever appearing on consoles was always a problem with memory, not CPU or graphics. I would just about argue that Crysis on 360 and PS3 is not the same game.

Do you think say the PS3 had enough ram, that it could match Crysis on a 8800GTX? In my eyes the card needed for that game, a 8800 was on another level compared to 7800GTX gpu's. Crysis was memory heavy but not just that, you could never have a powerfull enough gpu for that game. Thinking that a 8800 really was generation ahead and a real successor to the 7800 cards i dont think PS3 or xbox 360 could handle it. Even with a 8800GTX 30fps isnt always happening.

Im not as sure about CPU, though i have a hard time seeing Cell or the 360's cpu coming even close to a full high clocked quad core Kentsfield XE for game performance. Optimizations can only do so much, hardware was moving fast during that generation.
But offcourse memory was a big problem too, its just that with Crysis the engine was ahead of its time, there wasnt fast-enough, even highest-end limiting to 30fps, if you wanted everything maxed.

Do you think say the PS3 had enough ram, that it could match Crysis on a 8800GTX? In my eyes the card needed for that game, a 8800 was on another level compared to 7800GTX gpu's. Crysis was memory heavy but not just that, you could never have a powerfull enough gpu for that game.
Was that because the game was far from optimised though? The argument is that the original Crysis was far from optimal in its implementation, and subsequent optimisation would make the same game run better, enabling it on lower performing hardware. If designed and implemented from the ground up for a console like PS3, a crack team of uber coders would have gotten a lot closer to Crysis on an 8800 than the original game running on a 7800.

If designed and implemented from the ground up for a console like PS3, a crack team of uber coders would have gotten a lot closer to Crysis on an 8800 than the original game running on a 7800.

No doubt about that, though i dont think the team behind Crysis could have done it. Same could be said if it was designed a little better/better optimised, the game would have made a even more impression on 8800GTX/QuadCore hardware then it did.

No doubt about that, though i dont think the team behind Crysis could have done it. Same could be said if it was designed a little better/better optimised, the game would have made a even more impression on 8800GTX/QuadCore hardware then it did.

While working on Crysis 2 for consoles, the original team spoke of massively compacting render targets to make the games more efficient on console. These changes also made the PC version faster.

Still impressive looking game, just comparing to top end games like HZD, GoW and Origins its not that long away from it, i mean over 10 years difference. What if developers would create something like the first Crysis again, not limiting to consoles. Imagine a Crysis 2018 on a core i9, Titan V, 64gb ram :p

It'd look a contemporary game if it can get lighting for bright sunny day. I have been playing it since Rockstar fubared gta iv enb mod last week, and it looks very good and the fps still dips to 30-40 with lots of AI since it only loads one thread at 90% and a second thread to about 20% max(ryzen 1600 at 3.5Ghz).

Trying to run it at Vhigh settings doesn't do justice to the fact that it blew away other games at the time even on medium settings let alone high. Back then, I wanted to build a new computer for playing Unreal Tournament 3 and thought it looked awesome, and this game absolutely annihilated it.

It'd look a contemporary game if it can get lighting for bright sunny day. I have been playing it since Rockstar fubared gta iv enb mod last week, and it looks very good and the fps still dips to 30-40 with lots of AI since it only loads one thread at 90% and a second thread to about 20% max(ryzen 1600 at 3.5Ghz).

Trying to run it at Vhigh settings doesn't do justice to the fact that it blew away other games at the time even on medium settings let alone high. Back then, I wanted to build a new computer for playing Unreal Tournament 3 and thought it looked awesome, and this game absolutely annihilated it.
Was Crysis 2 on PC CryEngine 2 or 3?
It looks like CryEngine 3 scales with CPU cores or at least the iteration used for Crysis 3.
It is interesting just to see how modern CPUs and GPUs perform with Crysis 3 as Digital Foundry still use it, and seems to scale reasonably well relative to some other modern games.

DF Tech Focus: Anti-Aliasing

So what exactly *is* anti-aliasing and why do we need it? It's not just about the 'jaggies' - as Alex explains in his new video.

DF Tech Focus: Anti-Aliasing

So what exactly *is* anti-aliasing and why do we need it? It's not just about the 'jaggies' - as Alex explains in his new video.

And that is why I continued to use a Voodoo 5 with RGSSAA over a Geforce 2 back in the day, despite it being significantly slower.

I'm glad that AA no longer has to be a purely hardware or driver hack anymore and that more and more developers are addressing it at an engine level.

Regards,
SB

The Division is the game (TAA) with the smallest amount of ghosting I've seen. Even two intersecting fences in sloping angles look good. All other games with TAA have smearing or ghosting artefacts. It doesn't even use Motion Blur which would make it more difficult to detect artifacts.

Last edited:
Join John and Alex for a look at how Gears of War 2 runs in its X-enhanced flavour on Xbox One X and learn about the evolution of Unreal Engine 3 across the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back