God of War [PS4, PC]

On the flipside he also thinks FC5 is almost perfect. And that doesn't fill me with a a great deal of confidence. Also the prudes over at Polygon give it a 10, so it cannot possibly push anyone's buttons. For better or worse.

God dang almost every reviews I've read and watched have all claimed it to be the best looking game they've ever played, no small feat when there's Horizon ZD single handily swiped all he best technical awards last year. And yes from what little snippets that I've seen, I firmly believe them. The stupendous amount of detail in the dense environment, textures, models, the superb PBR rendering with tons of volumetrics, tessellation, bokeh DOF, per pbject motion blur and personally the best use of gpu particles are truly something else. The lighting is just wow. Now imagine all that in HDR and WCG, a new benchmark is raised people.

I watched some Gamersyde videos and i have one main complaint : they changed the rage effect and they completely missed it artistically. I had the same problem in GOW3, some special powers were completely missed artistically.

Otherwise, the game looks very good despite the poor water and some animations that could be better. Some people will call that a hyperbole, but to me Sony studios compete in their own category. Dice is not too far but still not at the same level.

Anyway, i didn't expect this level of polish from Santa Monica. The game lasts about 30 hours, it is not an open world, and they still managed to keep a very high gameplay interest throughout the game. Impressive.

IGN video comparison of E32016 trailer sequence and the same part of the game in the retail version.

Here's Digital Foundry Analysis
text version if you prefer
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-god-of-war-tech-analysis

I didn't watch the Digital Foundry video yet, I ll save it for after i finished the game but i just paused and skimed through the first minutes and there seems to be some spoilery scenes so be careful.

Little summary :

Base PS4 :
1080p@30fps with overall fps performance similar to PS4 pro on res mod.

PS4 pro :
4k checkerboard rendering 1
Resolution mode : Capped at 30fps. Almost stable. few drops during certain scenes.

Performance mode : Similar to GOW III or Ascension.
Runs between 40 & 60 fps at 1080p with average 40fps and can hit up to 60 during quiet sequences.

Some tidbits from eurogamer article

it's clear that the studio has been granted the budget and time to fully realise its ambitious vision - key ingredients in delivering a quality product. From the smallest of incidental environment details to the most towering of beasts, God of War elevates real-time visuals to new heights while pushing the PlayStation hardware to its limits.

[...]Volumetric lighting also plays a huge role here. From piercing light shafts to thick fog, a voxel grid solution is used to lend a sense of fullness and atmosphere to the game. If you look closely in some scenes when precision is reduced, you can even see the voxel structure used to achieve the effect.

Particles are another impressive feature - GPU-accelerated particles are used in abundance throughout the game. Everything from the ashes and sparks during combat to the performing of a door opening ritual results in a gorgeous shower of GPU accelerated particles.

God of War is receiving a lot of positive press right now - not least its Eurogamer Recommended review - and from our perspective, it deserves its plaudits. It's another great example of a first party studio reaching new heights in terms of visual fidelity, with the title standing proudly alongside the likes of Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4 and Gears of War 4. From its remarkable rendering technology to its seamless camera system, God of War is a showpiece title - it's an impressive achievement that demonstrates what can be accomplished when that heady cocktail of raw talent, budget and time is deployed on a key project.

Last edited:
IGN video comparison of E32016 trailer sequence and the same part of the game in the retail version.
As always, polarized replies in the videos comments: it's a clear downgrade for some people and a clear upgrade for some other people.

Personally, I prefer the warmer lighting and colors of the E3 video (in comparison, colors look just a tad louder in the final game), as well as the final view. Also, the different lighting in the final scene makes the white fur more unflattering, because of the high contrast.

Downgrade in this or just an artistic change? From my smartphone, I can't tell... :D

At any rate, the graphics are insane! Also, congrats to the developers, because the game seems to be much more than just good graphics.

Yeah DF agrees with me alright:), the game sets a new benchmark in graphics easily. We've seen games like UC4, Horizon and The Order doing a laundry list of cutting edge techniques all at once, ranging in scale from corridor to open world, GoW does pretty much all that bar full open world but throws in even more expensive effects like GPU particles, real time GI (in certain scenes?), Voxel grid volumetric and highly detailed, well animated, mountain sized characters on top of those. That's what elevates it to the next level. Oh and it manages this level of visuals in both directed scenes and gameplay, something can't be said the same for others.

Last edited:

Thanks for the video. Now i have the evidence for what i was saying previously : there's a clear downgrade, especially in lighting. The game was much more impressive in its first showing, clearly by far the most impressive thing ever showed on PS4.

Now, the game looks very good, but i won't say it is obligatory much better than HZD or TLL. I didn't see any boss fight though, so my opinion may change latter.

I wonder what caused these downgrades because, according to DF, performances were already good :

i

Here is my theory :

- They downgraded the game because of the "one shot" thing.

- They downgraded the game to allow 2160p checkerboarding on PS4 Pro.

Edit : after rewatching carefully the comparison, it appears that my comment was a little bit too hyperbolic. I think ultragpu was finally much closer to the truth than me : mainly artistic changes.

Last edited:

Here's Digital Foundry Analysis
text version if you prefer

I didn't watch the Digital Foundry video yet, I ll save it for after i finished the game but i just paused and skimed through the first minutes and there seems to be some spoilery scenes so be careful.

Little summary :

Base PS4 :
1080p@30fps with overall fps performance similar to PS4 pro on res mod.

PS4 pro :
4k checkerboard rendering 1
Resolution mode : Capped at 30fps. Almost stable. few drops during certain scenes.

Performance mode : Similar to GOW III or Ascension.
Runs between 40 & 60 fps at 1080p with average 40fps and can hit up to 60 during quiet sequences.

Some tidbits from eurogamer article

Some elements do exhibit a downgrade. Like the animated fur on the child's clothes

EDGE will bring that score down.

Edge's earlier God of War scores:
God of War I 8/10 | Meta 94
God of War II 7/10 | Meta 93
God of War III 8/10 | Meta 92
God of War Chains of Olympus 7/10 | Meta 91
God of War Ghost of Sparta 8/40 | Meta 86

Their review will be out on April 26.

I thing most differences are purely artistic. This section of the game was re-crafted for the reveal demo of e3. sp they gave it a different introduction: Kratos coming out of the shadows, and a different ending: The two looking out to the grat vista to foreshadow the adventures yet to come. These moments make sense in demo such as this, but not necesserely in the middle of the game. Lighting also changes for similar reasons. Any well art-directed movie/game, uses colour and lighting to somewhat guide the progression of the story. In the context of the whole game, that initial scene is part of the inicial snowy area, and it follows krato's new wife, and the kid's mom's death.
On the demo, it was not part of a bigger progression, and wasn't trying to evoke the exact same emotions. The demo was crafted to present the game, introduce itd character's and world in a more broad context. For such, they felt a warmer lighting at points was better. On the actual game the characters are also presented under warmer lighting, while inside their candle lit hut.

They may be visually similar, but in practice GoW is more accessible. I would not say it's "better" for it, but it is very enjoyable [and can be very punishing].

Yes, 10+ hours in already. And I have to say, the game is even better now. Those who are playing it on SDR TV are missing out, big time.

I'll post some images on 20th.

Are you in France? :) they broke the street date there.

Or maybe UK? The copy in France comes from UK...

No, it's a review copy. My colleague has already written a [glowing] review, and I finally started playing yesterday.

Just keep away from spoilers of any kind, you will be glad for doing so.

Back