I need a 32 " TV... Suggestions?

eloic

Veteran
Hi, muthafuckas,

Well, I want to buy a medium sized TV, no more than 32 inches (even 28 inches would do). I would use it to watch some movies and play games.

I wonder if there are any TVs that size with HDR, but is it worth it? I don't have any HDR capable console and I don't plan to have any in a near future (as some of you may know, I still have LOTS of old games to play, hehe), but I wonder if HDR can be good to watch movies because of a better contrast or definition in black tones.

Oh, and I just want it to be full HD (I don't need 4K, plus in this size is kinda absurd), and I don't give a damn about Smart TV (useless, to me).

Any ideas?

Have you seen HDR in the flesh ?
If not wait until you have
nvidia in a recent HDR/SDR comparison got caught cheating by altering the SDR settings to make it look bad

Have you seen HDR in the flesh ?
If not wait until you have
nvidia in a recent HDR/SDR comparison got caught cheating by altering the SDR settings to make it look bad
I'm not sure I understand your message... :-S Do you mean that SDR is not that bad in comparison to HDR?

At any rate, does this matter that much in a TV this size, or are there other specifications more important with regards to blacks, etc.?

Afaik HDR gets bundled only with 4K sets, and 4K TVs aren't made in that size range. I have a 32" Sony XBR6 which is still impressive imo, though it was made back in 2008. Even the sound from it impresses, though that's probably because Sony gave it a decent sized speaker bar that sits at the bottom of it. I recently bought an upgrade to that, the XBR-43X800D. Imo it fairly represents the investment in technology Sony has made over the last several years, though they went style over substance with the speakers. They are still more than adequate for me as I use it as a PC monitor, and I also have headphones, but I rather preferred the decision to go with functionality on the older set.

I say find today's equivalent of that 32 inch Sony. Sony itself seems to have abandoned the idea of making top of the line smaller sets. Mine was sort of top of the lineish in that it had a lot of the premium features from Sony. rtngs.com has suggestions at that size though that look tempting, though they're getting hard to find. Might be the case that everyone is abandoning 32" as a platform for premium features. Though down the road I think this will change. Once display port starts getting common, then they'll be competing for desktop users.

Anyway ... http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/d-series-1080p-2016
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019PZDJEE?tag=rtings-tv-bs11b-20&ie=UTF8

The review suggests it's good for gaming, and as long as you're not viewing it from an angle, it's good enough for everything else. Though they didn't test the 32" one, it seems the feature set stretches across all sizes. The link to the page was from their rec's of 2017 32" TVs. http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/32-inch The one getting the top spot loses to the 2016 Vizio, so I guess 2017 has seen this size really getting abandoned for being a candidate for top features. P.S. The 32" variant of their 2017 pick is only 720p!

Last edited:
eloyc, I edited my post above after you liked it. "The 32" variant of their 2017 pick is only 720p!"

It's very affordable but for a gamer that's probably a deal breaker.

I was looking for a cheap 32" TV for my bedroom & what I found interesting was almost all of them were 720p. Ended up getting a Spectre 1080p for $159 from Walmart 3 months ago. Not bad, but not great. Just use it for gaming when the family is using the main living room TV. So it gets little use. I won't replace the main TV until I go 65" or bigger in another year or longer.

Tommy McClain

1 - The only 1080p + HDR TVs you'll get are some old OLEDs from LG
2 - OLED is mostly reserved for high-end TVs, meaning it'll only appear on big TVs, not tiny ones like 32".
3 - In fact, at 32" nowadays you'll find either computer monitors (4K, north of $800) or ultra-low-cost TVs that might have only 720p resolution.

So in the end, what you want is something that doesn't exist.
Either you go 40-42" and then you'll be able to find a cheap 4K+HDR TV, or you can just forget about HDR.

But is HDR worth it? Yes it is, given you own a TV with at least 8bit+FRC panel with edge-lit local dimming and a console and/or a way to play UHD BluRays. HDR in the PC is sort of a mess right now.

1 - The only 1080p + HDR TVs you'll get are some old OLEDs from LG
2 - OLED is mostly reserved for high-end TVs, meaning it'll only appear on big TVs, not tiny ones like 32".
3 - In fact, at 32" nowadays you'll find either computer monitors (4K, north of $800) or ultra-low-cost TVs that might have only 720p resolution.

So in the end, what you want is something that doesn't exist.
Either you go 40-42" and then you'll be able to find a cheap 4K+HDR TV, or you can just forget about HDR.

But is HDR worth it? Yes it is, given you own a TV with at least 8bit+FRC panel with edge-lit local dimming and a console and/or a way to play UHD BluRays. HDR in the PC is sort of a mess right now.
Hm, as I see it, if I'm sticking to that size I'd better find a FHD display (most of them are 720, WTF) and forget about HDR. Thank you! :)

Lol, I think they've been invalidated as a 2017 Vizio is now available. See my other post for links, or just look at this one. https://www.vizio.com/tvs/dseries/d32fe1.html
Thank you for all the info, but I don't think I can find that brand where I live. :-S

I think LG is a decent brand, but well if the whole market thinks 32" is only for low end, all or most the TVs might be of bad of mediocre quality with light bleeding, poor color reproduction, and so on. I am merely speculating though. Alternatively a mediocre LED TV might be deemed good enough overall.

Otherwise : there is such a thing as 32" 1920x1080 computer monitors. Some are curved gamer things sadly, some have one hdmi and one vga, some have two hdmi, some have no speaker and no sound output (seen such a samsung on the web but it has two hdmi)
There's 28" Benq monitor also.

Monitors are the least smart things around, but no remote. I think they maximize picture quality while minimizing price (tho a perfect or really cheap TV would compete) but might be best if you take care of the sound yourself i.e. use line out or optical out on consoles and other devices. (or use an AV receiver)

Back