AMD: Speculation, Rumors, and Discussion (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And achieve what exactly? They are still breaking PCIe connector specs. So how does that solve the 'if something goes wrong' argument? Also I think specs are +-10% or something like that.
On the MoBo side its "5.5A MAX"

Overall I think the solution works.
But, why did they not also test with power target and/or OC?
It is as if they think no-one is going to play around with WattMan.
I am kinda surprised, and this is not about trying to catch out AMD, just to define what can be done with the reference card from a consumer perspective.

Cheers

Overall I think the solution works.
But, why did they not also test with power target and/or OC?
It is as if they think no-one is going to play around with WattMan.
I am kinda surprised, and this is not about trying to catch out AMD, just to define what can be done with the reference card from a consumer perspective.

Cheers
Probably not enough resources.

Not really.... as long as they are within spec on the motherboard side they would only be liable for card/psu issues, which there shouldn't be any.

Only way is to drop frequency/voltage to get into the pci-e spec of the amps of the motherboard and everything else. They just don't want to drop its performance.....

Well obviously :LOL: I expect reference design to kinda go EOL rather quickly.

Spec compliance wise it is exactly the same as before the "fix". I mean why bother releasing a "fix" if it doesn't actually change the situation....
It brought the PCIe slot portion to more or less within spec (some variance between different "quality" GPUs etc), and no-one really gives a crap about the PCIe power connectors, you can pull something.. was it near 200W from 6 pin without dangering the integrity of even lowest quality PCIe power connectors, even though the spec says 75W max, and many cards have pulled "over the spec" from them before, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back