PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's all get back into buying some good old VHS! That good old analog image quality combined with that truly impressive pixels density...yummy!

And that feeling, unmatched by any of those recent digital devices: The more you watch your movies, the more the image gets worse!

Let's all get back into buying some good old VHS! That good old analog image quality combined with that truly impressive pixels density...yummy!

And that feeling, unmatched by any of those recent digital devices: The more you watch your movies, the more the image gets worse!
:yes:
VHS was superior to DVD, I know, I read it on the internet... (this archived article is a gem, please never let it die)
http://adequacy.org/stories/2001.8.24.112921.289.html

Right, because we all have 80" TVs, infinite bandwidth and CPU cycles, ideal viewing distances not to mention perfect eyesight!

MP3s and Youtube should have made it obvious than other than being able to market a bigger sounding number, the average schmoe doesn't care above it being not total ass. 4K is well over the line of diminishing returns. Heck, cable suppliers can't even handle 1080p at decent bit rates for sporting events. Now you want them to send 4K signals? How about instead of 4K we rally for something actually useful like lower latencies?

"What do we want!"
"Low latency!"
"When do we want it!"
"NOW!!!"
a0406616c76f1fb5ee4780ac1bf5564d.jpg

Just releasing a PS4.5 which:
  • Can play UHD Blu-rays with HDMI 2.0 and HDR (=> also requires H.265 codec)
  • Can stream 4K Netflix
  • Can play the same games but upscale them to 4K
  • Plays the same PS VR content at 2x 960p60, upconverted to 2 x 960p120 via the external box
Doesn't make sense to me. UDH Blu-ray and 4K streaming isn't a USP (unique selling point) for the PS4. Sounds like the
content or TV guys at Sony pushed this through in a deperate attempt to justify 4K displays.

Breaking up your market with games specially written for a PS4.5 is a bad move... On iOS devices it works, but I think
fragmenting your console is a bad move. Still I wonder if AMD has a 4Kp30 suitable for APUs already on the shelf (actually
should be last year, given the time it takes to design and debug SOCs).

It could be nothing more than pretty much the same SoC as the original PS4 with:

- H.265 decoding
- 4K upscaler
- HDMI 2.0 support
- AACS 2.0 support

Due to the UHD BD spec, likely it can push 4K@60p. Current PS4 can't do more than 4K@30p via it's HDMI 1.4 interface.

So basically a PS3 Slim, which added bitstreaming of audio codecs (HDMI update) with an updated Cell SoC.

Just releasing a PS4.5 which:
  • Can play UHD Blu-rays with HDMI 2.0 and HDR (=> also requires H.265 codec)
  • Can stream 4K Netflix
  • Can play the same games but upscale them to 4K
  • Plays the same PS VR content at 2x 960p60, upconverted to 2 x 960p120 via the external box
Doesn't make sense to me. UDH Blu-ray and 4K streaming isn't a USP (unique selling point) for the PS4. Sounds like the
content or TV guys at Sony pushed this through in a deperate attempt to justify 4K displays.

Breaking up your market with games specially written for a PS4.5 is a bad move... On iOS devices it works, but I think
fragmenting your console is a bad move. Still I wonder if AMD has a 4Kp30 suitable for APUs already on the shelf (actually
should be last year, given the time it takes to design and debug SOCs).

It could be nothing more than pretty much the same SoC as the original PS4 with:

- H.265 decoding
- 4K upscaler
- HDMI 2.0 support
- AACS 2.0 support

Due to the UHD BD spec, likely it can push 4K@60p. Current PS4 can't do more than 4K@30p via it's HDMI 1.4 interface.

So basically a PS3 Slim, which added bitstreaming of audio codecs (HDMI update) with an updated Cell SoC.

Thoes might not be usp but they are expected of Sony who must wish to offer a uhd player given their status in the uhd alliance and big 4k tv push.

it may simply be cheaper for Sony to deliver that with a new PS4 revision over custom hardware for a standalone uhd player.

This does not preclude a more powerful console also.

Thoes might not be usp but they are expected of Sony who must wish to offer a uhd player given their status in the uhd alliance and big 4k tv push.

it may simply be cheaper for Sony to deliver that with a new PS4 revision over custom hardware for a standalone uhd player.

This does not preclude a more powerful console also.

I forgot to add a shrink to a TSMC 16nm FF process => less power, cheaper heat sink/fan. I might consider this, because with some games the PS4
can be quite loud. However, they better not put a BD drive like on the PS3 super slim (final rev) with its top-loading drive. Front-loading drive is preferred for me.

Oh my god I got it. It's 4 VR. GOT IT?

PlayStation 4 VR. PS4VR. K. There should be a K there. A big bad Kardashian K. Oh and the .5 too. PS4VRK.5 :yep2:

Maybe the PS4K is just the inclusion of the VR boxes internally to the main console? That way they dont need the external equipment pieces and can sell a slimmed down VR device, just the HMD.

I forgot to add a shrink to a TSMC 16nm FF process => less power, cheaper heat sink/fan. I might consider this, because with some games the PS4
can be quite loud. However, they better not put a BD drive like on the PS3 super slim (final rev) with its top-loading drive. Front-loading drive is preferred for me.

Well if they choose to push ps4 as their uhd player it will need to still be a "premium" device to no cheap flappy drive doors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back