The Witness

Given how praised it is, I would think it's a good deal...

Well, I am not sure what I am getting into, if its just a puzzle game, I am not comfortable with that price tag considering how absolutely fantastic full adventures are on sale right now on PSN. I have my eyes on Rogue Galaxy and Divinity original Sin, where I know what they are. Going into this blind only knowing that I will be drawing lines on panels is a bit of scary at that price tag. at $20, I would take the plunge, like I did for the Swindle and SOMA and loved them.

I had similar concerns, but I've found it to be one of the best games I've ever played. The feeling you get when you finally spot a vital clue is like nothing else.
It's definitely not a simple line drawing puzzle game, they couldn't be played in book form, the clues are generally in the environment.

Almost done with the main objective of the game and i can safely say it's one of the best games I've played. Easily worth the price tag imo.

Just finished the game. Some of the last puzzles are kinda twisted. :yep2:

Definitely one of the best puzzle game I have played. Blow did it again! And the game is never unfair, at least not the puzzles needed to see the normal end. But some of them definitely need some serious mind work and perseverance.

My advice, when you are stuck, do another puzzle or go explore. There are several "ways" to see the normal end so some puzzles on another "path" might be easier for some.
You're a monster.

I think the Portal comparison is rather misleading. Portal is a linear, narrative focused game with a bunch of obstacles along the way that are cleverly designed to look way more imposing than they actually are. Unless you're playing Portal 2's cooperative campaign, it never dares to stump the player for more than a couple of minutes.

Hmm, i feel like the last few challenges are not actually fun.

Obvious puzzle spoiler
The flashing color thing and the other where it moved when you did

I want to finish the game without opening a guide or googling anything but this isn't as fun as the rest of the puzzles in the main game imo.

I'm not far into the game yet. This is what it means to me so far:

f7e6586da45e7d88d220831b3db684e4.jpg

Am I the only one that has to write stuff down??

I usually use my iPad, I take a photo of the puzzle and draw over it.
Was again stuck for hours on one puzzle piece yesterday evening, couldn't resist checking the internet for a hint, not a solution but just some small hint... of course the solution was again such that I can't believe I couldn't find it out myself :D
Really, cheating ruins the joy of discovery in this game.

Last edited:
I usually use my iPad, I take a photo of the puzzle and draw over it.
Was again stuck for hours on one puzzle piece yesterday evening, couldn't resist checking the internet for a hint, not a solution but just some small hint... of course the solution was again such that I can't believe I couldn't find it out myself :D
Really, cheating ruins the joy of discovery in this game.
Yeah, I needed to take a photo of one of my own drawings and then 'flip' it so that I had a mirror image.

Finished the game finally, very interesting way to "end" the game. I'll need to go back and solve other puzzles since I've only cleared 350 of them on my first run. Great game :yep2:

Ok apparently I am the only one to use this particular trick to easily plat this game, so I am going to disclose here, It's not the solution of any puzzle, it's a "trick" in order to make the platinum (very) easy:

People already know that you can put the PS4 in standby in order to suspend the game and have time to resolve the puzzles of the last Challenge. But you don't need to turn off your PS4 if you want to suspend the playing game! You can start Spotify which will do the job just fine: suspend the game.

You can even take a screenshot of the puzzle, start Spotify that will suspend and really pause The witness, and open the screenshot in your PS4 in order to resolve it on a piece of paper for instance, then resume the game and resolve the puzzle. You can do that several times, restarting spotify will always suspend the game even if it was already open before.

I plat the game in my second try with this trick because I hate stressful and random conditions like the last challenge, but I did all the puzzles in the game without a single hint :yep2:.

You mean the one where
There was a timer? And if you solved one it remained static but you had to solve it within 10 seconds?

Also about the ending
I liked how the credits worked till it got to that video. I didn't think much of it, just a bit meh. I think the game is trying to be a bit too clever for itself sometimes. Great experience regardless!

I can't play this game too long as it gives me horrible motion sickness :(
I think it's due to the very slow camera movement, but it's difficult to tell
About the game itself, I wish it had more variation than just every permutation of "draw a line on this grid"
And the audio clips are not my cup of tea :)
It does look very nice though, very easy on the eyes!

You mean the one where
There was a timer? And if you solved one it remained static but you had to solve it within 10 seconds?

Also about the ending
I liked how the credits worked till it got to that video. I didn't think much of it, just a bit meh. I think the game is trying to be a bit too clever for itself sometimes. Great experience regardless!

No. I mean
a specific challenge that gives you the platinum trophy. Finding it is already a puzzle.

What do you think the 11 lasers are for? You only need 7 to see the end.

Last edited:
Ah nice i get you, i'll get there eventually when i get back to it :smile:

I can't play this game too long as it gives me horrible motion sickness :(
I think it's due to the very slow camera movement, but it's difficult to tell
About the game itself, I wish it had more variation than just every permutation of "draw a line on this grid"
And the audio clips are not my cup of tea :)
It does look very nice though, very easy on the eyes!
You are not alone with the motion sickness. Jonathan Blow has stated on twitter that they are working on reducing the Motion sickness problems caused by this game. A lot of ppl are suffering it, including a friend of mine.

and the whole lack of vriety other than draw lines on grid is why I am wary of spending so much on it. I will wait for a sale.

Back