Fallout 4 PC discussion

Level 52 or 53 and still getting distracted. I'm throwing in with the Brotherhood this play through. Except when I'm at max carry capacity I've stopped using fast travel and I'm amazed at how many new places and events I'm stumbling upon.

I set up my first supply line today.

So much for my intention to finish the main quest last week because I'm keen to play Just Cause 3 and Dishonoured, which are next in my game queue.

I haven't spent the time to figure out supply lines just yet, but I only last night finished the "Big guns" (or whatever it's called over at the fort) mission where I now have artillery support. A few nights ago while perusing the downtown ruins I found Cait who has now replaced Detective Roboto as my companion. She and I are now just wandering through every alley and ruined street in downtown until I get it completely covered.

I still feel like there's a lot more of the southern end of the map that I need to explore...

The southern end seems much more sparse than the north and middle.

I only used artillery once and it creamed my allies so bad they turned on me. Never tried it again.

I haven't spent the time to figure out supply lines just yet, but I only last night finished the "Big guns" (or whatever it's called over at the fort) mission where I now have artillery support. A few nights ago while perusing the downtown ruins I found Cait who has now replaced Detective Roboto as my companion. She and I are now just wandering through every alley and ruined street in downtown until I get it completely covered.

I'm not hugely into the settlement stuff but do like to dabble on occasion and having to manage each workshop's inventory of junk was becoming really annoying and supply lines make it so much easy so I've connected up about 8 or 9 of the settlements I'm invested in.

Nick is a pretty good companion and is one I often chose when I want to hear a voice while exploring.

I still feel like there's a lot more of the southern end of the map that I need to explore...

A portion is the glowing sea area which you'll explore at some point.

Today I had another staggeringly unproductive day in Fallout 4. Somehow I spent three hours rebuilding my base at Sanctuary. It started out simple enough - my current base is three stories high with the "living quarters" on the ground floor, crafting area on the 1st floor and power armour on the 2nd (top) floor. Because most trips to base involve me breaking down scavenged armour and weapons for components I thought I'd move the cooking, weapons and armour crafting stations and storages trunks to the ground floor to make things easier.

And because the place is wired for electricity and because I hate wasting anything (scrapping and rebuilding - even though I have 3,000 steel, 2,000 wood, 700 copper, 500 ceramic etc) it somehow took around 3 hours to expand a 3x4 layout to a 4x4 and move and re-organize in the inside. I also was getting annoyed by the generator noise (on the roof) so moved that to the adjacent tower and wired it across.

THREE HOURS!!! :runaway:

So that done I set off with the intention to pushing forward with the Brotherhood missions. I'm avoiding fast travel now so I set off towards Boston and bump into a group of minutemen just patrolling the roads. Curiosity got the better of me and I decided to follow them to see where they went. It seems they go on a very long route and visit lots of settlements having fun adventures along the way!

TWO HOURS!!! :runaway:

Somehow I ended at my settlement at Jamaica Plains and somehow ended up attacking the supernatant stronghold just outside. Despite having a Fatman and my Gauss rifle I would have been dead if the Brotherhood weren't sending wave after wave of Vertibirds and Knights against them. Legendary Overlords, Legendary Warlords. Jesus!

TWO HOURS!!! :runaway:

So yeah. Seven hours and one side quest completed. :rolleyes:

Finished the story siding with the Brotherhood. Yay! :mrgreen:

I'm now kicking myself for not keeping a save from 3 days ago when I started down that path as I want to see how the other factions endings pan out. Oh well, there's always another play through after Just Cause 3 and Dishonoured.

I'm not completely satisfied with the ending myself and some of my choices but there's no denying it was bad ass(tm). :yes:

Fallout 4 Beta Update 1.3.45

New Features

• New ambient occlusion setting, HBAO+
  • New weapon debris effects (NVIDIA cards only)
  • Added status menu for settlers in your settlements
  • Added ability to rotate an object you are holding with left/right triggers and pressing down on left thumbstick lets you switch the rotating axis
  • Improved "ESDF" keys remapping support while in Workshop mode
Gameplay Fixes

• General memory and stability improvements
  • Improved performance when looking through a scope
  • Fixed issue where player could warp to a different location when aiming
  • Companions can no longer get stuck with radiation poisoning
  • Fixed an issue where Vault 81 residents would not dismember correctly
  • Big Leagues perk now displays calculated damage correctly
  • Fixed issue with third person camera not displaying properly after exiting certain crafting stations
  • Fixed an issue where subtitles would occasionally not update properly
  • Effects will properly be removed on companions when items are unequipped
  • MacReady’s Killshot perk now calculates headshot percentages properly
  • Fixed an issue with NPCs getting stuck in Power Armor
  • Fixed a rare issue with companions getting stuck in down state
  • Second rank of Aquaboy now calculates properly
  • Fixed an issue with resistance not always lowering the damage correctly when added by mods
  • Enabled number of characters available when renaming an item (XB1)
  • Fixed issue with player becoming dismembered while still alive
  • Robotics expert is now usable in combat
  • Stimpaks can now be used on Curie after the transformation
  • Playing a holotape found in wilderness while switching point of view no longer causes the screen to blur or controls to be locked
Quest Fixes

• Fixed an issue with "Taking Independence" where the minutemen remaining from the battle against the Mirelurk Queen would not gather in the Castle
  • Fixed an issue where invulnerable characters would get stuck in combat
  • Fixed an issue where Preston would send player to a settlement instead of a dungeon as part of a Minutemen quest
  • Fixed an issue where Synths could attack the Castle while the player was friends with the Institute
  • Fixed an issue where killing a caravan would leave a quest open
  • Fixed an issue where Dogmeat would stay at Fort Hagen after "Reunions" was completed
  • Fixed an issue where the player couldn't talk to Desdemona to complete "Underground Undercover"
  • Fixed an issue where the player could get stuck exiting the cryopod
  • Fixed an issue where the player could no longer get Preston as a companion
  • In "The End of the Line," fixed an issue that would prevent the player from killing the leaders of the Railroad
  • Fixed an issue with Minutemen quests repeating improperly
  • Fixed an issue where the player couldn't get back into the Railroad headquarters after being kicked out of the Brotherhood of Steel
  • After finishing "The Big Dig," fixed an issue where Hancock would no longer offer to be a companion or help with the "Silver Shroud" quest
  • Fixed an issue with obtaining the Dampening Coils from Saugus Ironworks before going to Yangtze
  • During "Unlikely Valentine," fixed an issue where the player could be blocked from entering Vault 114
  • In "Confidence Man," Bull and Gouger can now be killed
  • During "Taking Independence," fixed an issue that would prevent the radio transmitter from powering up
  • In "Human Error," fixed an issue where killing Dan would cause the quest to not complete properly
  • Fixed an issue with "Tactical Thinking" where leaving dialogue early with Captain Kells to reprogram P.A.M. could cause quest to not completely properly
Workshop Fixes

• Fixed a bug that would cause settler counts to appear incorrectly
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent the player from setting up a supply line in settlements with a high population
  • Improvements to snapping pieces together while in Workshop mode
  • Fixed an issue that caused powered items to stop functioning permanently if its power source was ever removed
  • Player can now build workbenches in their Diamond City house
  • Building wires no longer uses up copper
  • Fixed issue with certain settlement attacks not generating properly
  • Fixed an issue with settlement happiness calculations
  • Settlers assigned to weapons stand will now stand next to it
  • Diamond City house now shows provided power
  • Repairing items will now correctly consume resources
  • Fixed an issue where companion would ignore commands at workshop locations
  • Fixed an issue with crops appearing destroyed after saving and reloading

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1583568-fallout-4-13-beta-update/

Ok so I'm giving away 3 copies of y{Fallout 4}y (PC, XBO, PS4). If you're interested go here:
, if not, that's cool too.

For those of you on the fence, now's your chance! Trying to have fun with this. :)

patch performance tested by gamegpu. Huge wins for AMD cards, nano ahead of 980Ti, 280X even besting 780Ti. No CF and better min. though.

http://gamegpu.ru/rpg/rollevye/fallout-4-beta-patch-1-3-test-gpu.html
280X is the same speed as GTX970 at 2560x1440 and a lot faster at 3840x2160. Or, it's the same speed as GTX980 at 3840x2160

I can't think of theoreticals that would make Tahiti as fast as GM204. The bandwidth looks like the first excuse, but GTX980 has the same bandwidth as GTX970 with about 20% more performance.

Are we seeing colour compression in Maxwell failing, even though colour compression should get better with higher resolution?

EDIT: "as triangles get smaller", nonsense deleted

Hmm, yes there's some funky stuff going on with copy/paste in the forum editor

Last edited:
970 doesn't have as much bandwidth as 980. Because of the L2 -> ROP disabling deal.

You're right, the difference between 970 and 980 doesn't bear on my question of whether bandwidth is the reason for GTX980's shortfall versus Tahiti.

Still, is colour compression failing here?

AMD should have had this out 2 months ago. One of the reasons I run NVIDIA in my primary rigs. The budget builds get AMD budget support. AMD cards are fine for my brother who normally can't afford new releases anyway. By the time they go on sale AMD has generally fixed their issues.

Back to chatting about playing Fallout 4 instead of benchmarking... ;)

Over the weekend, I finally dipped into the Institute and made "the discovery." Part of me wants to replay the introduction and go on full-blast mode, just to see if I can psycho-rampage-murder the entire facility. I'm now topside again, playing both Railroad and BoS missions. At some point, I assume I'll have to actually choose who I want to win, but at the moment it seems everyone is willing to give me work.

Unrelated, but I had a legendary loot drop of an Instigating Gauss rifle. The weapon itself dishes double damage for 100% health enemies, which I modded for additional damage and range, then I stack on my epic ninja bonuses for a net result of 8x damage to unsuspecting targets. I then proceeded to one-shot a legendary glowing deathclaw for giggles :D

The dead legendary glowing deathclaw dropped some lame combat armor though :( I REALLY want to find more of the chameleon parts...

Over the weekend, I finally dipped into the Institute and made "the discovery." Part of me wants to replay the introduction and go on full-blast mode, just to see if I can psycho-rampage-murder the entire facility.
Aside of the children, yes you can. And after you go up with the elevator, there's even more to kill as extra treat (remember the locked door? they open it)
I do suggest bringing a lot of drugs and heavy weaponry to the party, though, there's a crapload of synths everywhere (no, you don't see the half of them before you go on rampage)

Over the weekend, I finally dipped into the Institute and made "the discovery." Part of me wants to replay the introduction and go on full-blast mode, just to see if I can psycho-rampage-murder the entire facility. I'm now topside again, playing both Railroad and BoS missions. At some point, I assume I'll have to actually choose who I want to win, but at the moment it seems everyone is willing to give me work.

Yes, there'll be a point where you have to pick who to work with and you'll antagonise at least one other faction who you spurned. I sided with the Brotherhood because of their shiny toys (and because they did seem like an organisation who could help the Wasteland) and that was actually pretty good. I've also seen the Institute play through (ManyATrueNerd on YouTube) but my next play through will be siding with the Railroad.

I'm curious about post-completion differences between the factions. I have the guide, perhaps I should RTFM! :yep2:

Back