Casual Shenanigans Fallout4 PC vs PS4 shootout

Shortbread

Island Hopper
Legend

$350 PC with 4GB of VRAM, taking a sh** on PS4/XB1.

A shoehorned port, yet console gamers are defending it. SMH... :nope:

$350 PC with 4GB of VRAM, taking a sh** on PS4/XB1.

A shoehorned port, yet console gamers are defending it. SMH... :nope:

Probably because its a great experience despite its short comings. Plus, its not like Bethesda pulled a Ubisoft and watch dogged us. The game practically looks exactly like it has since its first reveal.

Core i5 750 OC@3.7
Asus h55 LGA 1156 mobo
4GB DDR3
GTX760
320GB Samsung HDD
Cooler master case
Arctic Alpine CPU cooler
EVGA 430 watt PSU

^^^ $350??? Lol I wish. I must not know how to shop anymore.

Mobo, ram, CPU would book me over $350 already.

So, its "OK" for poor performance, random crashes, missing shadows, stuttering, clipping and so-forth to exists, because Bethesda makes wandering/gathering/puzzle solving enjoyable?

Mind you, I'm not bashing Fallout 4 (specifically the PC edition), I'm bashing Bethesda for the obvious shoehorned ports. As a PC gamer, I wouldn't stand for, nor pay for, a rotten console port *cough* Batman: Arkham Knight *cough*. To each his own, I guess...

For a lot of us it is "OK". For most of us here, Bethesda's MO is well known and the fact that a lot of us still buy their titles tells you that the experience that the game gives is worth the flaws that come with it.

Core i5 750 OC@3.7
Asus h55 LGA 1156 mobo
4GB DDR3
GTX760
320GB Samsung HDD
Cooler master case
Arctic Alpine CPU cooler
EVGA 430 watt PSU

That is their $350 PC? Smurf me! I don't see how they bought those parts that cheap, outside of buying from CraigsList ads for stolen parts. Speaking of which, they also need to buy an OS, so throw in a Windows OS License as well.

For a lot of us it is "OK". For most of us here, Bethesda's MO is well known and the fact that a lot of us still buy their titles tells you that the experience that the game gives is worth the flaws that come with it.

Isn't that what Bethesda, as well as a few others, are banking on? The experience/memories/excitement that you and others had with the previous games. Not that having fond memories is a bad thing, nor wanting the next chapter. What is bad for gaming as a whole (PC/Console), is that we're allowing pubs/devs so much leeway on bad ports, poor performance, and the outrageous amounts of patches on getting things fixed. Because most gamers (mostly console gamers) are so impatient when it comes to waiting for the proper game (cohesive package).

I do commend those development teams that do delay (multiple delays) their games until everything (for the most part) is well-balanced. Look at how many time R* delayed the PC version of GTA V... I was dying, but I understood they didn't want another GTA IV on their hand (poor performance / poor shoehorned console port).

FYI: dobwal, I respect your opinion, I very much do... this is mostly my thoughts on why I wouldn't particularly purchase poor performing shoehorned ports. Regardless of my previous experience or fondness for the series.

Last edited:
That is their $350 PC? Smurf me! I don't see how they bought those parts that cheap, outside of buying from CraigsList ads for stolen parts. Speaking of which, they also need to buy an OS, so throw in a Windows OS License as well.

Honestly, diehard PC gamers don't always purchase from big vendors/retailers or major etailers. The majority of my PC hardware comes from smaller (but respectable) vendors and etailers. I've purchased new GPUs and CPUs at a fraction of the cost, when compared to the bigger name shops. So, his configuration could just be that... $350 dollars.

Last edited:
Isn't that what Bethesda, as well as a few others, are banking on? The experience/memories/excitement that you and others had with the previous games. Not that having fond memories is a bad thing, nor wanting the next chapter. What is bad for gaming as a whole (PC/Console), is that we're allowing pubs/devs so much leeway on bad ports, poor performance, and the outrageous amounts of patches on getting things fixed. Because most gamers (mostly console gamers) are so impatient when it comes to waiting for the proper game (cohesive package).

I do commend those development teams that do delay (multiple delays) their games until everything (for the most part) is well-balanced. Look at how many time R* delayed the PC version of GTA V... I was dying, but I understood they didn't want another GTA IV on their hand (poor performance / poor shoehorned console port).

FYI: dobwal, I respect your opinion, I very much do... this is mostly my thoughts on why I wouldn't particularly purchase poor performing shoehorned ports. Regardless of my previous experience or fondness of the series.

I respect your opinion also as we all have different sensitivities when it comes to bugs so I can understand your distaste for the level of issues that Bethesda allows at launch. But we are all as individuals beholden to the overall gaming userbase and it is ultimately responsible for the state of console/pc gaming today. The good and the bad.

Core i5 750 OC@3.7
Asus h55 LGA 1156 mobo
4GB DDR3
GTX760
320GB Samsung HDD
Cooler master case
Arctic Alpine CPU cooler
EVGA 430 watt PSU

it's difficult to say, apart from the graphics card (which is from 2013/2014) the rest of the PC is from 2010, so maybe it's possible to buy this stuff used for $350
but you can probably get slightly better perf I think with a new i3 6100 ($120), cheap MB ($50) and a GTX 950 ($160), but you would have to add an HD, PSU, case and ram, so it's more like $450 I think, if you get a good deal, but most people building PCs already have some old parts I guess, like the HD, so it's mostly about CPU+MB+RAM+VGA.

in any case, for me the PS4 version looks fine, the PC shines in terms of controls... I tried playing the game with a gamepad and it was a disaster, once I started using KB+mouse it felt so natural, like you don't have to stop what you are doing to switch weapons, you just press a number, and aiming is a different world... so honestly, I would give up some visual quality just to use a KB+Mouse, and seriously, why can't they allow you to use a KB+mouse on the PS4? I understand the problem for multiplayer, but for single player on a multiplatform game also on PC? there is no excuse,

I could destroy that PC for 50 bucks (maybe free) buying xeon/quadro workstations from a company throwing out their old hardware.

Nothing wrong with getto builds but then again I think it would be more fair to compare a pc made of second hand parts with a 2nd hand Playstation 4. I thought the DF PC was more fair if comparing new to new.

Its kinda funny how awesome it looked in the first trailers and how mediocre it looks now. Super downgrade?

Core i5 750 OC@3.7
Asus h55 LGA 1156 mobo
4GB DDR3
GTX760
320GB Samsung HDD
Cooler master case
Arctic Alpine CPU cooler
EVGA 430 watt PSU

Those parts are ancient and should be dirt cheap if you have any sort of used hardware market around. The CPU is over 6 years old.

True I just did a eBay check. And all used parts on eBay.com could net you this PC for $350.

I live in Canada so different, with the exchange rate 350 making my budget 420. At 420 I'll update this post. I don't think I can do it. But I'll try for the sake of discussion.

Back