Server based game augmentations. The transition to cloud. Really possible?

except for the part where i said as my latency increases so do the events. You also get glitching and warping for people with really high latencies, that's why pretty much all servers auto boot anything 100-150ms+.......
By events you are referring to the levolution that occurs?

Imo Using battlefield as a reference to why
cloud processing doesn't work just isn't a strong reference. Each BF4 server is isolated to begin with and not all of them have processing juice to handle everything. Game code has been poor for nearly 9 months before they finally resolved everything.

Outatime: Using Speculation to Enable Low-Latency Continuous Interaction for Mobile Cloud Gaming

Gaming on phones, tablets and laptops is very popular. Cloud gaming -- where remote servers perform game execution and rendering on behalf of thin clients that simply send input and display output frames -- promises any device the ability to play any game any time. Unfortunately, the reality is that wide-area network latencies are often prohibitive; cellular, Wi-Fi and even wired residential end host round trip times (RTTs) can exceed 100ms, a threshold above which many gamers tend to deem responsiveness unacceptable.

In this video, we demo Outatime, a speculative execution system for mobile cloud gaming that is able to mask up to 120ms of network latency. Outatime renders speculative frames of future possible outcomes, delivering them to the client one entire RTT ahead of time, and recovers quickly from mis-speculations when they occur. Clients perceive little latency. To achieve this, Outatime combines: 1) future state prediction; 2) state approximation with image-based rendering and event time-shifting; 3) fast state checkpoint and rollback; and 4) state compression for bandwidth savings.

To evaluate the Outatime speculation system, we use two high quality, commercially-released games: a twitch-based first person shooter, Doom 3, and an action role playing game, Fable 3. Through user studies and performance benchmarks, we find that players strongly prefer Outatime to traditional thin-client gaming where the network RTT is fully visible, and that Outatime successfully mimics playing across a low-latency network.

http://research.microsoft.com/apps/video/default.aspx?id=246834

EDIT: Found a 15-page paper on tech here...

http://www.bawakayi.com/davidchu/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2015/04/mobi085f-leeA.pdf

and a 1-page demo paper here...

http://www.bawakayi.com/davidchu/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2014/06/sysd32-lee.pdf

Tommy McClain

Last edited:
So you throw multiple times the GPU power at it, significantly increased bandwidth relative to even dumb console streaming (even with deltas you're still sending way more data) and the developer STILL has to restrict the way he designs a game (a 180 degree snap turn is going to screw things up regardless).

Cloud rendering for gaming, as practical as always.

So you throw multiple times the GPU power at it, significantly increased bandwidth relative to even dumb console streaming (even with deltas you're still sending way more data) and the developer STILL has to restrict the way he designs a game (a 180 degree snap turn is going to screw things up regardless).

Cloud rendering for gaming, as practical as always.

They showed this for vr recently, this probably makes things much easier, the head cannot for example perform 180 snap turns and any game which does this jar the user sufficiently that the lag is probably acceptable for this view transition.

Crackdown 3 footage at Gamescom showed buildings toppling as players ran through them. Claimed 100% destructible environment running server-side on Xbox Live (Azure cloud). Hopefully they'll give some details on how they're handling latency and bandwidth. It looked pretty cool, if that's how the game actually turns out.

I remember way back they showed the tech in action, I have no doubt that what we are seeing from Crackdown 3 is 100% real.

However the question remains whether this is Single player or Multiplayer limited and what is the bandwidth needed to run such simulations on people's consoles.

I hope the Crackdown footage is real and believe it is. The thing that makes technology great are the leaps people didn't see coming. People thought Netflix streaming was a joke not too long ago.

On a previous subject, I think EA might have already found a solution for the server being shutdown issue. At least on Xbox. Microsoft supposedly isn't charging developers for severs. I'm sure their fast growing corporate cloud revenue more then covers the cost of gamers cloud use. If you add that with a EA Access like service from publishers or developers the servers would always be available to those users and Microsoft charges EA a small fee. $5.99 a month and you'll be able to play your favorite games forever. Win-win-win.

100% agreement. Also a Godzilla or Ultraman type game would be great.
35547-rampage-dos-screenshot-smashing-buildings-cga.gif

I remember way back they showed the tech in action, I have no doubt that what we are seeing from Crackdown 3 is 100% real.

However the question remains whether this is Single player or Multiplayer limited and what is the bandwidth needed to run such simulations on people's consoles.

bandwidth shouldn't be a problem. Its multiplayer only since its an open game you'd be able to destroy partso f th eworld important to the story otherwise. A linear game would be able to feature this in single player however.

Not sure this really counts as 'game augmentations' as it's an online game running from the servers. There's definitely interesting data structures being employed, but we shouldn't assume it's addressing all the issues raised when cloud enhancements were announced as it may be employing some shortcuts not needed in a server based game versus a locally enriched game that needs a complete world model on the local machine. For one thing they could use video streaming for a lot of the background graphics and limit the mesh details to the foreground.

"Game augmentation" would always be a client-server model. The only difference between a multi-player and single-player model is that you're syncing more clients. Regardless, it's computation on the server side. Dedicated servers are obviously not new, and they've always done some computation to track and synchronize game state. Bots have run on servers for ages as well. Doing a game world with a 100% destructible environment that's synchronized between players would be new to me. This looks far more sophisticated than Battlefield, but I guess we'll have to wait and see what the details are. I guess technically you might not call it an "augmentation", but I don't know if that's even a useful distinction. Ultimately we just want to know what types of computation are workable on the server/cloud side. THere was a lot of debate about physics because of latency and bandwidth. It'll be interesting to see how this really works, how they addressed those problems and how detailed it really is.

This is definitely interesting though:

Well, you’d better get ready… Crackdown 3 has just been unveiled and it’s an Xbox One exclusive like no other – a sandbox of mayhem and destruction featuring an open-world campaign that you’ll be able to play cooperatively online, and a revolutionary new cloud-powered multiplayer mode where destruction is your ultimate weapon.

http://news.xbox.com/2015/08/gamescom-crackdown-3

So it sounds like there is a single-player/co-op mode that won't have the same level of destruction. Most likely they do not want to dedicate those resources to a player on a 1:1 ratio, and for game design reasons.

So it sounds like there is a single-player/co-op mode that won't have the same level of destruction. Most likely they do not want to dedicate those resources to a player on a 1:1 ratio, and for game design reasons.

Designing a game with a fully destructible city with any kind of remotely sensible story is probably impossible to achieve.

Of course, the economics of doing those calculations per client, which I had brought up here and elsewhere still stands.

The 1:1 ratio is a key point. Many users simultaneously taking advantage of the same set of physics calculations and memory. I also don't think they are making up the 20 times performance number. The peak CPU performance is required for what instance in time? There will be long stretches where full sky scrapers are not crashing down so the resources can be scaled as needed.

The fact that crackdown will allow you to utilize up to 20 times the CPU performance for peak instances is incredible if it works as shown. How else would any console or even high end CPU manage the order of magnitude differences moment to moment? I'm glad they have finally demonstrated that real time physics can be significantly augmented by the cloud.

If it's anything like Azure enterprise there is a dial on how many processing cores you'd like to leverage for your jobs, I do not know if it's something you can do on the fly, though I imagine likely you can. That being said 20 times the performance amount, may work out to be only a handful of server cores when compared to the computing power of jaguar.

Back