Elite Dangerous [XBO]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
Truly a worth read. This game is shaping up great. "400 billion reasons why Elite: Dangerous is secretly Xbox One's most exciting game."

http://www.gamesradar.com/elite-dangerous-400-billion-xbox-one/

c30484fa3623d66a3ac1c6381bcf9499ec51066c.jpg__1920x1204_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

86179808c2a96c7e84ddc51f1061f862e2f317fc.jpg__1920x1204_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

b9d1a0be88c9c3c11d547cf51492db17305fb1a1.jpg__1920x1083_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

18c2f6027b1decc39a7e7b43d06706cf8af1cff1.jpg__1920x1083_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

fad3685d60c56a5ed16af3bb5c236aaebf74ca29.jpg__1920x1204_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

129c81c09cc028835d399b491bcffb0bb39cc8c0.jpg__1920x1085_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

b69cd7333b92381eaedbc881085d76e466a48e06.jpg__1920x1204_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

24f53ce33909efa6f92b7cac40103e68488470c3.jpg__1920x1088_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

514a423551a4966397fdcf8277439ee0464039a5.jpg__1920x1233_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

1a5de2cdcdbaab649e182d0455d0a8d6cf8c5b19.jpg__1920x1204_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

67ba811be7ad869968546a3f7384e1a2cc131824.jpg__1920x1085_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

effd8fed982fcac100d6c4d4e59102e66f0b6a0f.jpg__1920x1097_q85_crop_subject_location-1426,338_upscale.jpg

Us humans have only spotted something like 140,000 objects from Earth, but Elite’s galaxy has 400 billion stars in it. Perhaps one day you’ll find sentient life…

Only 400,000,000,000 systems and no dinosaurs? No Man's Sky has 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets.

Eat that, Braben!

I have Dangerous on PC but I'm too terrified to start playing it because it's the kind of game that can suck me it.

From what I played on the X1 early access it works well enough. There's a bit of tearing at times but visually it looks decent. Menus will take a lot of getting used to though, as there are approximately 3 times as many menus as there are planets in the game (!!!).

I didn't really enjoy what I played of it. Elite was my very favourite game for many years. I put in enough time to get to Elite status twice on the BBC Micro and Deadly once on the Amiga, but this new version did not feel to me much like the game I played years ago.

I thought it was needlessly overcomplicated. The original wasn't. You never had to request docking access, lower landing gear, deploy hardpoints or do a ton of stuff that frankly adds nothing to the game.

I wanted to get out, explore, trade and dogfight but there were too many hoops to jump through, each procedure being on a different submenu.

I also don't much like what realistic visuals brings to the game. I used to dogfight other spacecraft in Elite. In Elite:Dangerous I was fighting against HUD markers as the craft were too dark/fussy to make out. I also hate the design of spacestations. What used to be simple and elegant is now gaudy and overcomplicated.

Decent tutorials might have helped slightly (the in-game tutorials are absolutely rubbish, either not telling you what to do, how to do it or what keys/menus to use).

Not impressed, sadly.

From what I played on the X1 early access it works well enough. There's a bit of tearing at times but visually it looks decent. Menus will take a lot of getting used to though, as there are approximately 3 times as many menus as there are planets in the game (!!!).

I didn't really enjoy what I played of it. Elite was my very favourite game for many years. I put in enough time to get to Elite status twice on the BBC Micro and Deadly once on the Amiga, but this new version did not feel to me much like the game I played years ago.

I thought it was needlessly overcomplicated. The original wasn't. You never had to request docking access, lower landing gear, deploy hardpoints or do a ton of stuff that frankly adds nothing to the game.

I wanted to get out, explore, trade and dogfight but there were too many hoops to jump through, each procedure being on a different submenu.

I also don't much like what realistic visuals brings to the game. I used to dogfight other spacecraft in Elite. In Elite:Dangerous I was fighting against HUD markers as the craft were too dark/fussy to make out. I also hate the design of spacestations. What used to be simple and elegant is now gaudy and overcomplicated.

Decent tutorials might have helped slightly (the in-game tutorials are absolutely rubbish, either not telling you what to do, how to do it or what keys/menus to use).

Not impressed, sadly.
Are you part of the brand new Early Access Program of the Xbox One then?

Ever since the first Elite sequel David Braben has been pushing the game to more of a flight sim model with super accurate physics and the need to micromanage a bunch of things like this. It definitely doen't lend itself to jump in, fly off, shoot some pirates and be back in time for tea and crumpets.

It's a great game but just a little too sim-y and micromanage-y for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not impressed, sadly.

I must admit I am concerned for the reasons you mention - I liked the original Elite (and Amiga sequels) - and even the Oolite free mod thing because it was easy to get into and not overly complicated.

I have been watching my Son play and it looks amazing (PC) - to help with all the menus he's set up voioce control and using a Hotas X, that seems to help alot - I wonder if the console version(s) will support voice commands and extra controllers too?

Either way I have it ready to go on PC with a Hotas X, I will certainly give it a spin and I appreciate he's trying to make it 'realistic'...it's hard to get the balance right I guess.

Yeah, I've got to say I thought I'd give it a whirl for a bit last weekend. That's when I found out the early access is only 60 minutes long and I'm guessing that entire time is going to spent going through the tutorials that they force on you.

I spent maybe five minutes trying to figure out the first tutorial before giving up and turning it off to save my early access time for another occasion when I was more receptive to try to figure out the controls.

If they're only going to give you 60 minutes, I'd rather they just dump you into the game than force a bunch of not-well-written tutorials on you. Instead of a learning experience getting forward to play the game, it's like a timed test you need to try to get through as quickly as possible to play the actual game.

Tutorials are horrible in combination with this early access deal, especially when the tutorial leaves you asking 'Wait, you want me to do what?'

I really need to get passed the "shoot the things that don't actually blow up" tutorial!

Pro-tip, target them and blast them to hell and watch the health meter. For at least ten mins of my demo I just flew around and tried to figure out why simple containers would not blow up to my mighty weapons.

I really need to get passed the "shoot the things that don't actually blow up" tutorial!

Pro-tip, target them and blast them to hell and watch the health meter. For at least ten mins of my demo I just flew around and tried to figure out why simple containers would not blow up to my mighty weapons.

Ha! Sounds like about as far as I got.

Thanks for the tip because that is the exact issue I was having.

A guide here
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=78710.0
not sure if it mentions it but you must use wxlauncher for win8 not the old launcher (version 5.5g i think, only use this one with win7 or earlier)

The people I know that played this game liked it very much. Dunno if it's because of F-Zero (probably not, I always loved astronomy ever since I was a kid and thoroughly read the astronomy section of my encyclopaedia with great interest), but my fascination for speed and ships and vast space never ends. Wish I could play it with a controller like this.

Screen-shot-2014-05-30-at-5.12.57-PM.png

The people I know that played this game liked it very much. Dunno if it's because of F-Zero (probably not, I always loved astronomy ever since I was a kid and thoroughly read the astronomy section of my encyclopaedia with great interest), but my fascination for speed and ships and vast space never ends. Wish I could play it with a controller like this.

Screen-shot-2014-05-30-at-5.12.57-PM.png

Cyan, I've been playing this on PC for a while now. I absolutely love the game and have been addicted to dog fighting pirates in resource extraction zones.

The controller in your pic is a HOTAS. I use the Thrustmaster T-Flight X HOTAS. It was only about £40 on Amazon.

I don't think I could play this game on console unless they enabled the use of my HOTAS. Playing with anything else is doing your gameplay experience a disservice.

Last edited:
Maybe, but I feel that a DS4 should be able to do the trick quite well too when using motion controls - that gives 6 additional axis right there, and then you have two analog sticks (four more axis) and the trigger buttons (two more axis), and then you still have the d-pad, facebuttons and stick buttons ... . You'd think that'd be enough for most cases. ;)

It's enough I'm sure, but there's just something about playing this game with a Hotas X - I tried the X360 controller and it just wasn't the same (IMHO).

The other thing is even with the Hotas X you still need to use the keyboard so it's easy to reach across and use like a full terminal rather then put a controller down or try to type one-handed/juggle.

It really adds to the whole experience. I have bought a TrackIR which I need to set up too :)

TrackIR is very good for this game. Well worth taking the time to set it up. Even with the default profile it's leaps and bounds better than looking around with a mouse or thumbstick.

Take a look at Voice Attack if you're short on buttons and don't mind talking to your PC. You can get voice packs for it tailored for Elite. Not used it myself as I'm not short of extra buttons, but user reviews I've seen have been very positive. It does have me interested, as it can give a lot of interesting astronomical information as well as descriptions of in game stuff such as commodoties or ships.

Last edited:
I saw someone streaming this on Twitch who was wearing a VR headset and using what looked like the above controller setup. Pretty much instant nerdgasm, it looked crazy fun.

TrackIR is very good for this game. Well worth taking the time to set it up. Even with the default profile it's leaps and bounds better than looking around with a mouse or thumbstick.

Take a look at Voice Attack if you're short on buttons and don't mind talking to your PC. You can get voice packs for it tailored for Elite. Not used it myself as I'm not short of extra buttons, but user reviews I've seen have been very positive. It does have me interested, as it can give a lot of interesting astronomical information as well as descriptions of in game stuff such as commodoties or ships.

Yeah, my Son has voice attack and I'm sure it'll be next on my list :)

I need to post our set-up...we are in the shed side by side, still WIP but getting there :)

Setup the TrackIR last night - wow, really makes a difference...tracking things is so much easier and it really helps.

I need to try the cheaper version now to see how it compares...hopefully my PS2 eye is the correct type to mod...

Back