State of Decay - Xbox Live Arcade, Wednesday June 5th, 2013

No co-op. They've said as much. Every time they get asked that question they bring up the long term deal they have with Microsoft. The follow up game seems like it'll be some kind of multiplayer or MMO game.

I remember that I stopped playing SoD on the 360 not because I got tired of the game (I was really enjoying it) but because the game's world state broke in such a way that I could no longer progress something that I was working on. I think it wouldn't let me bring in more survivors, or something along those lines. I was still able to finish the story, so, that's what I ended up doing. I was too disheartened to start over and see if some of the patches fixed my issue (I'm quite sure one of them did, but only for new games). I was really happy with where my camp was at the time and wanted to keep building it up. Looking forward to a well polished release on the XBO. As FarticusMaximus mentioned, save import would be awesome, although likely impractical (assuming it fixed broken world state issues).

This is definitely the penis gaming generation. State of Decay, The Order. WTF is going on! :runaway:

State of Decay, now available for Xbox One. If you own the 360 version, you get a discount.

This is probably the best survival horror game I've played, despite its flaws. Highly recommended.

State of Decay, now available for Xbox One. If you own the 360 version, you get a discount.

This is probably the best survival horror game I've played, despite its flaws. Highly recommended.

Bought it on 360 due to a Lets Play video a ran across about it. Really enjoyed my time with it and the sense of choice, loss and progression it gives. A progress breaking bug caused me to cut my time short with it and not go back to it if memory serves me. Will be picking it up again for the XBO (in fact, I just ordered it from the XBL web store). Looking forward to jumping back in later today.

Nice it's on Steam. I'll likely be grabbing it during the Summer or Winter Steam sales. Been waiting for this upgrade of it.

Regards,
SB

I haven't ordered this one yet and I've really got enough already to play, but I'm probably going to cave in and go grab this one. Although I bet it'll be a game or deal with gold in three months.

It's definitely worth it. Played it a bit at a friend's place. And, IMO, it's by far the best survival horror zombie game ever made. Even with it's flaws at the time. Hopefully, some of which have been addressed with this new version, in which case it'll be just that much better.

Regards,
SB

So, this game is pretty fun. It seems almost like Dead Island, except with less RPG elements, and you can switch between the survivors you find and have them do stuff rather than just get mission quests from them.

I lost Maya just out scavenging at night (it seems like 3/4 of the game is night.. something that is annoying), and then lost Morgan when I ran into a juggernaut that first time. They spawn some other random character for you, she was a chain smoking blog-writer, so she had a permanent stamina penalty and lasted just about as long as you might think. Then they spawned me an ex-army medic, and so far, she's still alive.

I'm still in the beginning church area, but I imagine if I ever get one of these characters to survive long enough to actually level up and get some fame, they will be quite bad ass. Because a few couple mistakes and your characters get torn to bits and permadeathed.

So far, I'd recommend it. It's pretty fun. I wish they told you the game mechanics a bit more clearly. Like, you barricade the windows but can't close the doors. Conversely, it means the zombies don't use the wide-open doors to come into the houses to get you, they go through the windows. Which, is kind of funny, actually.

I must love this game. I refused to lose Marcus and Maya as I have grown quite attached to them. So much so, I've been willing to restart the game 3 times because of losing Marcus once and Maya twice. Those Cleo drops have been the culprit in two while a besieged mission in the other. But starting over didn't feel punishing even though the last time was during the late stages of the game. I moved to several different locations because of the start overs, which allowed me to focused on different areas on the map which made each attempt at a playthrough different and fresh.

The scavenging and base building are addictive.

This franchise deserves AAA treatment.

About the only thing I found lacking
were the story missions as I was hoping for confrontations with the Wilkersons and the Judge but both petered out to basically nothing.

Last edited:
So far, I'd recommend it. It's pretty fun. I wish they told you the game mechanics a bit more clearly. Like, you barricade the windows but can't close the doors. Conversely, it means the zombies don't use the wide-open doors to come into the houses to get you, they go through the windows. Which, is kind of funny, actually.

Huh? You can't barricade doors but you can close them and zombies (especially during a besieged mission) will definitely force open doors to get inside.

Really? How do you close a door? I've never been able to. Sometimes they close eventually on their own, otherwise, they just stay open the entire time. And I've never seen a zombie use the wide open door, they always walk right past it and attack the barricaded window.

Press "Y" near the door. Yeah a zombie seems to run towards the closest opening. But during besiege missions a horde is usually sent straight to and eventually through the front or back door at least that's what I've experienced. Plus, in my game zombies have no problem entering detached garages which have no windows.

I know what you are talking about as I've seen many a zombie bypass a door and jump through a window. But they will use a door when it suits them. LOL

This game is driving me nuts! I finally decided to just restart to get Marcus and Maya back again. Maya ate it trying to go recruit some nearby survivors. Two ferals jumped her not five steps away from the church and there wasn't even a chance. I actually screamed in horror as it was happening, jumped up and tried to do a hard reset on the console in order to save her. But to no avail, even though the console shut off, when I turned it back on again the game had just simply paused. Damn you instant resume functionality!!

Then, out on missions as Marcus, I broke my arm. With nobody else to switch to, I had to keep using Marcus. Finally, I was able to go save survivors and have them join us allowing me to befriend them (and more importantly - switch to them to allow Marcus to rest). But after using one of the other survivors for a bit, I decided to check on how Marcus was doing and he's vanished. There was no "Marcus has died" notification and I checked the history logs in case I missed it. He's just.... gone. RATS!

Is there another way to make your character rest? If you only have one character and you get an injury that can't be overcome by meds, or even if you just get tired from overuse, there doesn't seem to be a way to resolve those issues. You just eventually die?

Back