Mass Effect: Andromeda

Yap, lots of explorable worlds sounds too much like wishful thinking and a me-too from No Man's Sky.

If its like Dragon Age:Inquisition, I don't want it. Lots of areas , no significance.

Also, I would like to see what they are doing with the base combat gameplay before anything else. That , for me, makes or breaks a game. That is the reason BB isn't grinding to me while DAI soon felt like nothing but a grind.

It's describing 100s of solar systems, not planets :p, but yeah, it'll probably just be rather inconsequential like 95% of the planets you can visit in the first 3 games.

Visit, skim the codex blurb, setup resource gathering, use a planet guide on subsequent playthroughs to save time. etc

Last edited:
Yap, lots of explorable worlds sounds too much like wishful thinking and a me-too from No Man's Sky.
Ha! This immediately made me think or No Man's Sky and I wondered if Bioware would implement a procedural star system with some planets have a specific story-driven purpose and others full of procedurally generated content including quests.

I've never played a Bioware game, ME4 may be the first.

Part of the problem with the original endings were that they just tried to cheaply recycle the one ending video to cover three different scenarios. The original control ending kind of tried to portray that the portals weren't destroyed, Citadel stayed intact in it and they tried to cut the Mass portal explosion part compared to the other two endings, but having made only one video there wasn't much room to maneuver. The video had similar other issues too.

I didn't play a Mass Effect game until ME3 when I got my Wii U. I started with little to no expectations, not really knowing what to expect. As I played through the game, more and more I was falling in love with the game. Seemingly making choices that "should" drastically alter the outcome it the final battle. Completing many optional missions in hopes that it would pay off in the end by building an armada worthy of fighting such an awesome enemy. The story throughout the game is great and I was really excited as I approached the ending.... Then it happened, it ended, and my ending was awful. Seeming everything we worked for was for nothing. I was convinced that I must have made bad choices, and that's why I got such a cruddy ending. Unfortunately, after searching online for the multiple endings, I realized they were all going to be crap, and for the most part, not much different. There is seemingly little to no consequence, or reward for that matter, when it comes to your choices in the game. For those who started the epic journey with ME1, it had to have been such a let down.

With all that said, I would love to see them move forward on the promise they made to gamers back with ME1, a trilogy of games where your choices and work completed carries over to the next game, and ultimately dramatically alters the ending. I know these means creating a lot of different scenarios for the ending, but that's pretty much what they said they would do, but ultimately didn't do that at all. It makes what could have been a legendary trilogy into a disappointing one. Not that ME is a bad game, but its hard to give it the ultimate praise when the ending is so terrible, and your choices along the way turn out to be nearly irrelevant. I will say this, ME4 is a game that could push me into buying a PS4. I will be interested in taking a good look when its finally shown off, hopefully at E3.

Well you still had it easy :) The original endings were even worse as the Wii U version includes the patch/extended cut, which imo was a lot better than the original ending (while still not fixing many flaws the ending has) and many of us had super high expectations for the ending, not just during ME 3, but a span of around five years since ME 1 came out. On the launch day of ME 3 I took a day off at work and I stalked my mail man around the city in an attempt to get my ME 3 copy early( and I got it early), so yeah I wanted to see the conclusion for the trilogy! I think they executed very well throughout the trilogy and ME 3 was great up until the very end, where they majorly dropped the ball. For me personally the extended cut and enough time from finishing it worked quite well. I no longer harbour bad feelings towards that game and look very forward for the next installment. :) I think in general I became less critical on how I view entertainment pieces after the ME 3 experience haha.

Well you still had it easy :) The original endings were even worse as the Wii U version includes the patch/extended cut, which imo was a lot better than the original ending (while still not fixing many flaws the ending has) and many of us had super high expectations for the ending, not just during ME 3, but a span of around five years since ME 1 came out. On the launch day of ME 3 I took a day off at work and I stalked my mail man around the city in an attempt to get my ME 3 copy early( and I got it early), so yeah I wanted to see the conclusion for the trilogy! I think they executed very well throughout the trilogy and ME 3 was great up until the very end, where they majorly dropped the ball. For me personally the extended cut and enough time from finishing it worked quite well. I no longer harbour bad feelings towards that game and look very forward for the next installment. :) I think in general I became less critical on how I view entertainment pieces after the ME 3 experience haha.
I didn't even have ME3, which taking into account that I purchased ME1 and ME2, might sound strange. It had nothing to do with the criticism, it was at a time in my life that I had enough games and not knowing what to play. Plus people spoiled the ending with the criticism, and I didn't feel compelled to play it in order to complete the games I had started.

Just like you -only with Diablo 3, instead of ME3-, I purchased Diablo 3 at launch for the PC. I was SO hyped, but I hated it so much after playing it and the DRM and how some things had changed for the worse. But now I reconciled with the game and to me it is one of the best games I've ever played. They fixed almost everything, the potential was there already.

While I still don't agree with the criticism of the ending in ME3 (the patch only added explanations and didn't change the fundamental ideas, which I've liked) I still think that the second game is the best overall.
ME3 added a few really good things in the inventory and weapon modding, but the main story was driven by closure, whereas ME2 was more about expanding the game's universe. And the entire thing just came together so well.

I'm still on the fence as to whether ME1 or ME2 was better. ME1 was just so crazy lol. ME2 was a great lead in to learning about the collectors which if I didn't read the novels I'm not sure if I would have been as into as I was. In terms of NPC development it was awesome. ME3 was awesome. Lol not as good as the other two but this is often the ROTJ, ROTK ending for trilogies, so i can't fault it. I liked the extended ending. Prior to it i didn't get it, it fundamentally didn't quite make sense without all the added detail of what was supposed to happen.
I guess they wanted to keep it open ended originally??

Man I love ME. I skipped all these ME4 posts to avoid any spoilers.

I'm just going to assume for a moment that the most recent leak is true ... so that puts a nail in it.

The RGB choices were only a choice in damage mitigation while you played your part in the sick little game of a demented AI, there was no true meaning in them ... you lost at the end of ME3 to the boss of the reapers.

Marty O'Donnell of Bungie/Halo fame?

I seem to recall he recently tweeted that he had something in the works?

It was said at http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/...-bioware-to-talk-about-mass-effect-andromeda/
"It’s definitely too soon to start talking about who, specifically," said Walters in reference to specific composers on the new game. "But I think that ‘sonic identity’ that we’ve had is something we want to maintain."

mm... Yeah, ME1 had that distinct 80s synth, which I thoroughly enjoyed, not just the music, but the general UI sounds. In 2/3 they went to a rather standard click sound for that stuff (IIRC), although the rest of the SFX work was pretty well done for ME3 (weapons), and there were a few soundtracks I enjoyed in 2/3.

Maybe they can find a decent middle ground on there between the punchier gameplay SFX vs the simpler harmonic tones.

Perhaps the biotic effects could be more reminiscent of the 80s synth in some ways - keep the crunchy explosion, but maybe use tones instead of the whoosh sounds? Or something. idk

Marty O'Donnell of Bungie/Halo fame?

I seem to recall he recently tweeted that he had something in the works?
It looks like he founded a new studio, and even Jaime Griesemer is with him now. I get the impression they're making their own games though.

The music has always been one of my favourite things about the trilogy. ME3 already took a more cinematic approach with no compositions by Jack Wall. It still had some great synth tracks by Hulick, like Mars for example. I wish to hear more of that instead of the all too common star wars themed string orchestra.

I'm going to wait to see how the next Mass Effect trilogy ends before I consider buying into it.

The music and atmosphere of ME1 made it one of my favourite games of the last decade. Until ME3E ruined it. Retrospectively. If I ever tricked the player into thinking their choices made a difference (for three games), and then wrote out their agency at the end of the final act of the final game, I would cut myself.

But, yeah ... ME1 retro future synth is awesome.

The music has always been one of my favourite things about the trilogy. ME3 already took a more cinematic approach with no compositions by Jack Wall. It still had some great synth tracks by Hulick, like Mars for example. I wish to hear more of that instead of the all too common star wars themed string orchestra.

Yes, especially the first time I started ME3, then MARS theme started -> instant chilling effects and how do you say it.. chicken skin? :) "I'm back in ME1?"

In other news: Speculative Andromeda mission (LINK CONTAINS SPOILERS!) https://imgur.com/r/MassEffect/zAl5j8y

Back