Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

I see what your saying but of course we need to see what the note 5 will be. That will be mass produced for an October time frame which would allow the same for a consumer rift

They did have a 4k res for 5 inch screen on their road map for 2015 http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/samsung-20...-displays-foldable-screens-smartphones-520643

samsung-2015-roadmap-reveals-4k-resolution-folding-screens-smartphones.jpg

The Note 5 is also likely to be the GearVR retail device so it's screen prowess may well be tailored to Vr in more ways than one.

Latest rumors and insiders I read were saying 5.9" or 6" pentile UHD in late 2015 for Note 5, and 5" phone pentile UHD in early 2016. What size does oculus need?

Anyway it's splitting hairs, a full RGB 1440p would still be a nice fit for late 2015, I think more so than a UHD pentile.

Remember that it's just a classic bayer pattern. The very minor improvement is only on the green channel, which didn't need improvement as much as the other channels.

The more black area (per channel, individually), the worse the screendoor effect will be, hence my point about the need for a better optical filtering.

Oled life is a solved issue. Pentile is only necessary for daylight visibility and it's a pointless argument for VR.

O.O

so.. they need to test it on more people. Maybe people with short nose wont get the same advantage? Like those like me in asia :D

or maybe make it into gameplay element!. If you are feeling nauseous, do X to increase the Nose. The player that have the shorter nose by the time limit will win

:p

Findings showed the virtual nose allowed people using the Tuscany villa simulation to play an average of 94.2 seconds longer without feeling sick
94.2. Either that's a very small percentage of the whole and not worth bothering with, or VR games are gonna be real short...

This sounds like an ideal application of Morpheus

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ual-reality-theme-park-on-pc-a?ref=nav_search.

Ties in nicely with the demos shown at GDC and the minigame interactions. As a way to just experience VR, it'd probably work very well. Makes you wonder why Sony aren't producing a VR Home themselves.

Today, on 1st April 2015, Sony announce... PLAYSTATION FLOW! :yes:

Underwater gaming on PS4
A watershed moment in wearable tech

Get ready to make a splash with PlayStation Flow, the latest innovation from the PlayStation Wearable Entertainment Technology division. PlayStation Flow lets you dive into a fully immersive experience that combines gaming with real life swimming.

When you get to a swimming section of a game like The Last of Us Remastered, simply pause the action, head to your nearest pool, dive in and resume playing once you’re in the water.

ps-flow-model-goggles-two-column-01-psflow-eu-30mar15

PlayStation Flow Goggles

The LCD head-mounted goggles download game data from your PlayStation 4 via Bluetooth technology. Once you’re in the water, tap the PS button on the goggles to connect to your PS4 and view gameplay.

Waterproof earphones help you hear the action in stunning detail even underwater.

ps-flow-model-band-two-column-01-psflow-eu-30mar15

Because AR and VR on land is so last year.

depending on how secure the vr helmet is you could actually make some very cool VR exercise games in combo with the move controllers. That Wii jogging game would be a hell of a lot more interesting in VR. Or imagine just dance but in a VR club. I really hope the first VR solutions incorporate some form of full body tracking, even is precise hand movements are left to move style controllers.

I'm having some fun with oled pixel structure, pixel density, and pixel gap.

I'm making some charts and then stepping back until the screendoor effect is no longer annoying, maybe I should calculate an equivalent 100 degrees FOV on Morpheus to see what distance from the screen would be the same impression.

The resolutions are just relative references, the boxes are 24x24 and 36x36, so if I step back until the bottom-left feels subjectively like DK2, the top left is pretty good.

LCA5kmG.png

Last edited:
Can you make a 3840x21690 diamond pen tile mock up. Would be interesting for me to see
done :)

There's 2.25x more pixels with 1620p, and 4 times more pixles with 2160p... It's obvious to me that pentile requires practically twice the pixels to provide the an equivalent masking of screendoor. (all bets are off with optical tricks though)

Last edited:
Thank you . The 2160p is very nice with pen tile. The 1620p pentile looks similar to me over the 1080p rgb perhaps a little better.

O_O that pixel arrangements... looks like CA or Anaglyph 3D... headache inducing...

does that pixel can be seen with naked eye if we are close enough?

O_O that pixel arrangements... looks like CA or Anaglyph 3D... headache inducing...

does that pixel can be seen with naked eye if we are close enough?
no no this is like a super magnified image with a microscope. A standard computer monitor is like the top left image with the same magnification.

But if you ever tried oculus DK2, the bottom left image shows what the problem was. Red dots everywhere. Resolution is a problem with VR, I think pentile makes things worse despite the maths of bayer pattern showing otherwise. There must be a lot of experimentation to be done with the optics.

Last edited:
Back