Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some experience encoding with x264. I usually use 2pass or CRF (constant rate factor), run tests and use whatever bitrate or CRF until it looks virtually the same as the original.

However, I don't think I can figure out how to fix the levels (don't have a lot of avisynth script expierence). If I figure it out, I'll upload it somewhere with my measly 1Mbps upload speed.

Last edited:
Initial trailer was cinematics and those do look super nice. It wasn't reasonable to expect the same quality in gameplay. Just look at the Order, cinematics and interactive scenes are night and day.
I'm not sure where you got that impression, however, there is nothing different between cinematic shots and in-game. The models, textures, post-processing, lighting features, etc.. are identical.

Yeah, the cinematic and gameplay in UC4 demo are seamless in quality, anything from lighting, models, textures, shaders and shadow res are essentially the same. If there is any discrepancy then it's virtually unnoticeable. All we need right now is some object motion blur, volumetric godray and Bokeh then this thing should be close to perfect.

I would suggest getting the 1.4GB MP4 file. The Youtube version simply does not do this game any justice, at all. That being said, i think it's a brave move to show raw gameplay like they did. Had they created a Trailer like this, with awesome music and editing i am sure everyone would screaming PS4 POWER, GOTY etc...

The fighting sequence looked very good to me. It seems that we get a sandbox type fighting area, furthermore it was not necessary to kill all the enemies to proceed, I noted a lot of little animations Drake had, this is directly from TLoU Joel and I really like this a lot. I liked that it has a super high amount of little details, like all the stuff hanging at Drakes belt reacted to the movement, I couldn't spot drastic animation transition warps and such things as in the PS3 Uncharted games, the AI behaviour was already cool and challenging, combat with melee, handgun, the rifle with its nice rifle belt physics, stealth...all already super refined...I still need to watch the HQ vid with corrected RGB levels floating around in the www to judge the graphics, as my stream was super pixelated...but I was impressed with the character model, face, facial animations and voice work (Joel actor??) of Drakes brother(!?)

Overall, I am very impressed. I hope that at one time in future, we get a coop Uncharted campaign game.

Oh, and I am really really impressed with Drake's new face...it really starts to look like a real human...congrats to the ND artists!

i am not sure we'll see the same graphical evolution between UC4 and the last UC on ps4 like the jump between UC1 and UC3, but that's damn promising.

The fighting sequence looked very good to me. It seems that we get a sandbox type fighting area, furthermore it was not necessary to kill all the enemies to proceed, I noted a lot of little animations Drake had, this is directly from TLoU Joel and I really like this a lot.

This looks GREAT. Uncharted's gameplay exemplifies what I look for a third person shooter but to mix this with The Last of Us stealth and melee was my number one ask earlier (April) in this thread. It looks like they've sped up the climbing travel and added a pick like Tomb Raider (in fact the textures for pick climbable walls look very similar). The combat - switching form stealth, to leaping, to melee, to shooting, to hiding to leaping, to more shooting looks very fluid and this is the most important thing.

Also U4 will benefit from TLoU dialogue system. Not only was the dialogue in the TLoU brilliant, it was the way it was delivered and could be delivered during gameplay, that really stood out. Not just cued dialogue but contextual dialogue. This will really augment character interaction but just watching those 15 minutes of HQ video from Gamersyde, I'd forgotten how much Drake talks to himself - little quips and so on. I am so stoked for this game :D

EDIT: Oh yes, and Troy Baker will voice Drake's older brother. Wow, without even knowing who else is voicing characters in the game, it's safe to say that the voice talent is exceptional.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks great. For a relatively bland part of the game, you can see that the tech is all in place and it looks brilliant. I did get a feeling of Uncharted copying Tomb Raider copying Uncharted copying Far Cray 4 (the last shot is basically Kyrat). When is this meant to be out by the way?

The gameplay needs some serious work, less gears of war and more puzzles and exploring.
Uncharted has always been a shooter interspersed by light platforming and the occasional puzzle. For me, this is the perfect balance - shooting is what it does well and platforming and puzzles are there to change the pace. Mind you, adding the pick (climbing) and rope/grapple, it looks like platforming will become far more connected to combat than in previous games.

What you seem to be asking for (more exploration, more puzzles, less combat) is traditional Tomb Raider.

That's the Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within guy, right? I don't think we're quite there yet but damn close, which was unthinkable a few years ago. The lighting will be the biggest differentiator I think, and of course hair/cloth/poly counts. On this pic, it doesn't look like anything current hardware can't do, but when they start moving the differences stat to appear.

ff11.jpg

It looks great. For a relatively bland part of the game, you can see that the tech is all in place and it looks brilliant.

I think they chose this section carefully, apart from introducing Sam (Drake's brother), it gave away nothing and just seemed intended to demonstrate the fluid gameplay mechanics. In a game you'll be playing 12 hours (most likely) this is the most important aspect to nail :)

Just downloaded the Gamersyde video and watched the first few seconds and uhhh... why are the blacks gray and the picture so washed out? Looks like they didn't match their RGB levels on their capture equipment. In fact, I'm 100% positive they didn't because if I set my TV to RGB Limited, it looks correct.

I'm gonna see if I can re-encode the video using the proper levels.

Even though the picture looks washed out from incorrect RGB levels, are you guys serious that this looks last gen? I mean seriously? As a package, this is some of the best stuff I've seen on console.
Yup, I noticed that in the YT video too. THe image looks like Limited RGB, not full. But I don't expect ND to goof -up on that.

Hi everyone. The video is Limited RGB, with Media Player Classic you can correct it and watch the video correctly with FullRGB. Here some pics with FullRGB:

u4_01.png

u4_02.png

u4_03.png

u4_04.png

u4_05.png

u4_06.png

Bye.

Gameplay is Excellent, Graphics not so much. the 60 fps choice is definitely hurting them. Lighting and Shadowing are basically like last gen PC quality, After AC Unity's GL lighting it is very hard to become impressed with any lesser quality. The game also lacks post processing goodness, Quantum Breaks looks definitely better overall.

Gameplay is Excellent, Graphics not so much. the 60 fps choice is definitely hurting them. Lighting and Shadowing are basically like last gen PC quality, After AC Unity's GL lighting it is very hard to become impressed with any lesser quality. The game also lacks post processing goodness, Quantum Breaks looks definitely better overall.

Are they really going to be 60 FPS? I still cant imagine they'd hold too that. Seems really silly. I dont agree with it for Halo 5 either, but at least there it makes sense for multiplayer. In this series, which is basically first and foremost a graphics showcase anyway, and doesn't need 60, it's really dumb.

But anyways it's right on GAF, this was running at 30?

Anyways the gameplay looks exactly like...Uncharted.

Last edited:

If you are talking about Crysis 3 at high...I agree :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back