Compare and contrast XBox One and PlayStation 4 from the user perspective

Then why did you even attempt to address it?

My point is you should just accept the results of the poll and consider the context of where it was held - gaming website therefore the participants likely more concerned about over GPU power than motion and voice controls.

For example if I took a poll of how President Obama is doing in North Dakota I'm going to get different response than I would in New York City - which is ok these are different demographics but when I start to say things like they were never going to accept him as president because (insert reason) that is dangerous. Understanding why a demographic is not going to support you is extremely important. Just ask Romney if he'd like to take back is 47% comments...

Wait, what? When? The closest I saw to this was some bitterness after MS's DRM reversal where this was blamed on a "vocal minority" that had deprived these posters of their preferred DRM system. There were some pretty strong words thrown at people who had spoken up against the initial system. As for just calling people idiots for their choice of system? I haven't seen it.

Podcast, forums, articles - there has been some push back against the reaction that so many had to MS at E3. Granted it isn't fair to characterize it as a unified message i.e. "their idiots" but there has been a reaction visible in all the mediums I mentioned and one of the talking points has been to downplay the criticism as invalid. Again I think that is dangerous, not because I think consumers are vindictive although some are but because there are some important points being made in the criticism that MS can learn from and will help them connect with core gamers who felt MS was heading the wrong direction.

The one I suggested was the only one without a minimum order. I did see the one you ended up buying on Alibaba, but you had buy a minimum of 20. Looks like the eBay listing is doing that for you. ;) Good luck!

Tommy McClain

Just a little update in case anyone had read this story.

In the meanwhile my new adapters have arrived. I say adapters as I had decided to get 2 after reading up on the dire state of aftermarket Chinese Xbone adapters. I anticipated that any one of these might not last long.

As these things go however the Ebay vendor made a mistake and only shipped me 1. And as it turns out I did not have to wait for it to die over time. It just never even worked in the first place, straight out of the box.

At this point I started to worry that the Xbone itself had taken damage. It took another 2 weeks for the second adapter to arrive. Imagine my relief as that one made my pricey toy finally hum back to life.

That's not to say my worries are over. The fine piece of Chinese engineering is notably lighter than the official adapter and it has a fan which is somewhat audible. It also smelled like burning chemicals, at least for the first hour or so. And at least once, during a game of Ryse, the console just shut down.

Oh well. Hopefully official adapters will become available for sale at some point.

Bummer man. Hopefully get an official one on eBay. From my searches there are some, but they do look expensive.

Tommy McClain

Thanks... I guess I was thinking the X1 tools might not be up to par to begin with, so there might be a 'gap' reduction from that.

Guess I backed the turkey. Awesome.
If it provides the games and experiences you like, you've not made a bad choice. If you find the quality isn't as good as you'd like going forwards, you have the option to sell it and buy a replacement (PS4, next Nintendo, PC, or some other hobby entirely).

If you look at the reasons why you bought an XB1 in the first place, those presumably still apply, unless your purchasing decision was simply, "I want the best hardware available and I'll randomly guess that's XB1 without looking any of the details up until after I've spent my money." ;)

If it provides the games and experiences you like, you've not made a bad choice. If you find the quality isn't as good as you'd like going forwards, you have the option to sell it and buy a replacement (PS4, next Nintendo, PC, or some other hobby entirely).

If you look at the reasons why you bought an XB1 in the first place, those presumably still apply, unless your purchasing decision was simply, "I want the best hardware available and I'll randomly guess that's XB1 without looking any of the details up until after I've spent my money." ;)

Being honest I did tons of research... following both consoles from the first VG Leaks...

The launch games and franchises lead me to X1 in the end... but the system has ground me down - it's simply badly thought out in terms of UX....then you realise that gamings biggest franchises have a resolution or framerate advantage elsewhere... I didn't anticipate the gap being as big as it is.

Here's my experience to date (below)... it's ridiculously poor compared to 360. Sorry, way off topic...

For one thing, I feel completely disconnected from my friends... I don't know when they come online. And I have to launch an app to see them rather than simply open the guide and have the list there at all times. Everything is slower than Xbox 360. When an achievement pops up, I have to hold down the button, go to the notifications app, select the achievement and then launch the achievement app. What a joke. On Xbox 360 all I did was press the guide button once.

I keep downloading MASSIVE patches for games that appear to do nothing... and several times when those patches fail and I cancel them, the entire game is removed from my hard drive... a S-L-O-W and painful process that involves waiting for the entire 35gb game and all related patches to install again.

Xbox 360 saved my controller settings, now I have to change to inverted look manually for every game I play.... what a stupid thing to take out. Sure its not a big deal in the scheme of things... but its indicative of a wider issue: That it feels like no one looked at what was great about 360 to begin with.

When I join a party I have to turn chat on (why did I join the party if not to talk to a friend while playing? I know this will be fixed but it's just one of many things that make the system simply irritating to use.

All of the system's features are hidden... Voice commands are erratic and have made the UI design lazy... things are hard to find and to get Xbox One to hear consistently I have to announce commands like a head master at a school assembly. I can't use voice commands when my partner is in bed - for instance. As a result I have so many pins that everything might as well be on one screen to begin with. Just stupid.

How will I ever make new friends online to play games with when I can't simply send a friends request to people I might have come across... there's no recent players list so unless I write down someone's gamer tag exactly when playing (who is ever going to do that?) I can't invite someone to be a friend. Even PS3 - notorious for being less than perfect for online gaming - has that feature.

All of this before we even consider the stupid comments Xbox Execs make... Albert Pennello says "hey, we just launched, give us a break" in response to Tomb Raider being the latest game to run better on PS4. Well... guess what Albert... PS4 only just came out too... and no one needs to give them a break because their system doesn't tie developers in knots and give system performance to slow features that were achieved faster with less memory on Xbox 360. I have just given you over £700 for a system and games... I do not also want to give you a 'break'.

Yeah, I can't believe Pennello publicly doubled down on his performance difference FUD. It's one thing to slink away from NeoGAF and pretend it never happened, but trying to blow the same smoke again is just insulting and disrespectful.

Yeah, I can't believe Pennello publicly doubled down on his performance difference FUD. It's one thing to slink away from NeoGAF and pretend it never happened, but trying to blow the same smoke again is just insulting and disrespectful.

He really, and MS, need to forget about the power difference and concentrate on the games. The PS4 is cheaper and more powerful. It's that simple. Trying to down play the difference is a fools game.

Sent from my Xperia Z using Forum Runner

Being honest I did tons of research... following both consoles from the first VG Leaks...

The launch games and franchises lead me to X1 in the end... but the system has ground me down - it's simply badly thought out in terms of UX....then you realise that gamings biggest franchises have a resolution or framerate advantage elsewhere... I didn't anticipate the gap being as big as it is.

Here's my experience to date (below)... it's ridiculously poor compared to 360. Sorry, way off topic...

For one thing, I feel completely disconnected from my friends... I don't know when they come online. And I have to launch an app to see them rather than simply open the guide and have the list there at all times. Everything is slower than Xbox 360. When an achievement pops up, I have to hold down the button, go to the notifications app, select the achievement and then launch the achievement app. What a joke. On Xbox 360 all I did was press the guide button once.

I keep downloading MASSIVE patches for games that appear to do nothing... and several times when those patches fail and I cancel them, the entire game is removed from my hard drive... a S-L-O-W and painful process that involves waiting for the entire 35gb game and all related patches to install again.

Xbox 360 saved my controller settings, now I have to change to inverted look manually for every game I play.... what a stupid thing to take out. Sure its not a big deal in the scheme of things... but its indicative of a wider issue: That it feels like no one looked at what was great about 360 to begin with.

When I join a party I have to turn chat on (why did I join the party if not to talk to a friend while playing? I know this will be fixed but it's just one of many things that make the system simply irritating to use.

All of the system's features are hidden... Voice commands are erratic and have made the UI design lazy... things are hard to find and to get Xbox One to hear consistently I have to announce commands like a head master at a school assembly. I can't use voice commands when my partner is in bed - for instance. As a result I have so many pins that everything might as well be on one screen to begin with. Just stupid.

How will I ever make new friends online to play games with when I can't simply send a friends request to people I might have come across... there's no recent players list so unless I write down someone's gamer tag exactly when playing (who is ever going to do that?) I can't invite someone to be a friend. Even PS3 - notorious for being less than perfect for online gaming - has that feature.

All of this before we even consider the stupid comments Xbox Execs make... Albert Pennello says "hey, we just launched, give us a break" in response to Tomb Raider being the latest game to run better on PS4. Well... guess what Albert... PS4 only just came out too... and no one needs to give them a break because their system doesn't tie developers in knots and give system performance to slow features that were achieved faster with less memory on Xbox 360. I have just given you over £700 for a system and games... I do not also want to give you a 'break'.

I am convinced that the XB1 was not build around the gaming experience but rather as a framework to ready the grounds for a unified support of the Metro and Microsoft services. Therefore the teams designing it focused more on these aspects and not how to make the game experience flawless through all the things that the 360 did perfectly foremost.

One thing I think we forget is that Microsoft had already known well over a year ago they would be more expensive than the PS4. That's why you saw rumors of the console having two price points; $500 outright or $300 subsidized + monthly live purchases. It's what the tested with the 360. I've been wondering why they didn't roll out that program at launch, and I think it's likely because it is most effective when they have fully satisfied supply after a full launch (rest of Europe and Asia). Sony could theoretically match it, but deferring that revenue that they desperately need doesn't look good on balance sheet when they have had a string of losses meanwhile Microsoft just reported record quarterly revenues and profits ($24 billion and $6.5 billion respectively). And we all know with subsidies, people only care about the amount of money they are paying now, not how much it costs in the end. How else would you explain how Apple somehow manages to get people to spend $1440 in a 4 year period when people upgrade every 2 years. People don't think like that!

I am convinced that the XB1 was not build around the gaming experience but rather as a framework to ready the grounds for a unified support of the Metro and Microsoft services. Therefore the teams designing it focused more on these aspects and not how to make the game experience flawless through all the things that the 360 did perfectly foremost.

Their world first unveiling said as much. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw

I like my PS4 but in all honesty its early days for both systems, we need more games and frankly better services to really judge either platform. We use Netflix more than anything else on the PS4 and it causes the system to freeze up atleast once or twice a month and I'm forced to pull the power cable out and do a hard reset.

My PS3 and 360 are pretty much flawless in terms of stability and have better games available now so perhaps you jumped to the next gen too early if this sort of stuff bothers you. I think anytime you're an early adopter you have to go in with your eyes wide open and appreciate that your experiences are going to get better over time.

For me the attraction to new hardware is sort of like an itch; I like learning the new system, seeing what's been updated, enjoying the graphical upgrade and the anticipation for what the system will bring in 6 to 12 months cause at launch things are almost always more miss than hit.

@RancidLunchmeat

Turning on the PS3 very often meant that I got to play "progress dialogue" instead of what I had wanted to play. Due to its transparent patch approach, this pretty much never happens on the PS4. I'd have bought a second one already if Sony wasn't super lame with their DRM policies on the PS4 (I'm not buying a second copy of everything just so my wife can play under her account in the bedroom).

Cheers

@RancidLunchmeat

Turning on the PS3 very often meant that I got to play "progress dialogue" instead of what I had wanted to play. Due to its transparent patch approach, this pretty much never happens on the PS4. I'd have bought a second one already if Sony wasn't super lame with their DRM policies on the PS4 (I'm not buying a second copy of everything just so my wife can play under her account in the bedroom).

Cheers

DD purchases is playable buy 2 accounts, unless they are online.

DD purchases is playable buy 2 accounts, unless they are online.

I do not believe this is correct. On the ps3, you can have your games installed on two consoles and everyone using those consoles has full, independent access.

On the PS4 you must mark one of your consoles as the primary console and on that machine, all accounts have full access. But if we bought a second PS4, I would have to be logged and start any games my wife would want to play:

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5058

Playing on other PS4 systems away from home
Games you purchase from the PlayStation Store:

Games you purchase can be downloaded and played on any PS4 system if you sign in to PSN. There is no limit on the number of systems you can use. Only you can start games that you download.

This lame restriction basically guarantees I will never buy a second PS4.

Cheers

@RancidLunchmeat

Cheers

So have the console your wife plays on designated as the main console. Problem solved?

I do not believe this is correct. On the ps3, you can have your games installed on two consoles and everyone using those consoles has full, independent access.

On the PS4 you must mark one of your consoles as the primary console and on that machine, all accounts have full access. But if we bought a second PS4, I would have to be logged and start any games my wife would want to play:

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5058

Cheers

Ahh yes, i think you are right, i was in the Destiny Beta via a friends invite, he created a Destiny Account for this which we shared. Basically every game he would buy on this account i could have played on my PS4 if i was logged in as him.

I can see the issue with Trophies etc?

I don't have two PlayStation 4s but my understanding is that anybody (regardless of login) can play any games on your primary PlayStation 4 and you (as account holder) can play any of your games on any PlayStation 4 which are you logged into.

And a quick google reveals a lot of people reporting this is how it works.

I don't have two PlayStation 4s but my understanding is that anybody (regardless of login) can play any games on your primary PlayStation 4 and you (as account holder) can play any of your games on any PlayStation 4 which are you logged into.

And a quick google reveals a lot of people reporting this is how it works.

The problem is for someone like me (with kids) my understanding is that if I had 2 PS4s I'd be forever 'juggling' which is the main PS4. And if some kids want to play on PS4a and others on PS4b we are stuffed.

BTW deathindustrial, PS3 had auto-updates, you just needed PS+

That's really rubbish. A huge step back from PS3's openness. Do you have to be online to play these download games on another machine? I suppose they could have an optional online permission aspect to enable games on consoles (let's say same IP address to prevent game sharing).

How does XB1 currently handle multiple consoles+multiple users? AFAIK there's been no progress on the original, abandoned game-sharing policy.

The problem is for someone like me (with kids) my understanding is that if I had 2 PS4s I'd be forever 'juggling' which is the main PS4. And if some kids want to play on PS4a and others on PS4b we are stuffed.

BTW deathindustrial, PS3 had auto-updates, you just needed PS+

Why would you need to juggle? How many PS4 's do you need?

Back