Killzone: Mercenary

There's a whole discussion on that topic here. Short version is close to iPad3's SoC, but different in different ways. I don't think the real specifics are known.

And, as the PSP chip, it's downclocked so we could an upgrade in the future through a firmware update.

Hm, is the Vita Mega Pack 1 worth it? I could not find a Vita KZ bundle...

I did see one announced for UK at least, would expect to find more around launch of the game, also with the new price-cut.

Hm, is the Vita Mega Pack 1 worth it? I could not find a Vita KZ bundle...

I would suggest this one:

http://www.game.co.uk/en/playstation-vita-3g-with-killzone-mercenary-209599

Standard 3G price with the game voucher and an 8GB card (3G is +£20 on wifi). FYI I have no idea if the game plays over 3G.

Holy moly ! Thats fantablous for Vita :runaway: ! How did u guys manage that awesome sunlight ?

By focusing on HDR, especially tone mapping and exposure control (we can display a pretty ludicrous dynamic range without clipping). Then it's a matter of subtly (or not) telling the artists "try making that light 10x brighter", then telling them again a few weeks later. :mrgreen: Causes all sorts of hell for lightmap compression, but was worth it.

We did do some experiments early on with more realworld intensity values, which we were able to handle (!) but in the end just left it up to art. Gameplay come first afterall. Plus the real world is boring. :p

Standard 3G price with the game voucher and an 8GB card (3G is +£20 on wifi). FYI I have no idea if the game plays over 3G.

By focusing on HDR, especially tone mapping and exposure control (we can display a pretty ludicrous dynamic range without clipping). Then it's a matter of subtly (or not) telling the artists "try making that light 10x brighter", then telling them again a few weeks later. :mrgreen: Causes all sorts of hell for lightmap compression, but was worth it.

We did do some experiments early on with more realworld intensity values, which we were able to handle (!) but in the end just left it up to art. Gameplay come first afterall. Plus the real world is boring. :p

Yes, we want fantastic , not real world, and you guys just delivered it in spades. Having played Golden Abyss on the vita, I can't believe these graphics ! Superb lighting :p !

Are you guys sharing tech with what GG is cooking for ps4? I mean, any chance , over time, we will see physically correct materials and lights in vita in future ? I loved it when GG announced that every light is an area light in Shadow Fall and has the light shape and illuminance data from a real world counterpart !

The SP campaign video is really interesting, nice levels!

Though like usual the in-game dialogue is atrocious... lol. I'd prefer if the ally just didn't talk at all :p

My favourite part was when you actually fight alongside the Heavy, that was really cool!

Btw, the customizations in the Vita Beta are really, really fun.

I've combo'd a heavy armour, with the original assault rifle, plus one of the shotguns as a sidearm, and given him a grenade. So fun to play as the character with all the stuff you want at once :)

Also the context sensitive melees are cool (it makes them slower so less abused, and they have cool QTE elements). Same with healing allies, you have to QTE to help them up and you see your character grasp his arm to help him up, very cool!

Also I enjoyed the power-up abilities, I love how you don't have to upgrade them, but you scavenge them on the map, that is way more fun! It changes the levels dynamically so you can defend the area where the power-ups spawn and kill enemies why they try to hack them (with the touchscreen minigame).

Very smartly made MP. It might not be perfectly balanced (the Mantis can be very, very cheap lol), but all the power-ups and the asymmetry it gives the game makes it very much more fun and interesting than a simple 4v4 MP shooter would be without it.

Great game so far :)

Wow, are you working on the game? :)

If so, great job to yourself and your team, it's very impressive and even better a very fun game :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the Killzone 2 inspired art that makes it looks so awesome :)

In fact, the KZ SF multiplayer demonstrations remind me more of KZ2 than the KZ SF singleplayer demos, especially the dark levels... that's probably why the MP KZ SF demos really blew me away :)

Anyone else wish you could melee guards to knock them out? I feel like it would be cool to have an option to take out enemies without killing them as a mercenary :)

Reviews varying between 6/10 to 10/10. I am guessing a very good portable fps, but some reviewers comparing it to home console FPSs and rating it low. Being compared to home console fps itself is a big praise, IMO. Shows they bridged the gap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh boy...this year is going to be an expansive gaming year.

I could not resist: 169 Euros for Vita + 10 games at Amazon...damn it!

But I blame KZ:M for making me buy a Vita!

Will pick this up tonight, probably on cart considering its about 4.6GB (3.3GB dl and 1GB patch or something if I understand correctly)

Reviews varying between 6/10 to 10/10. I am guessing a very good porable fps, but some reviewers caomparing it to home console FPSs and rating it low. Being compared to home console fps itself is a big praise, IMO. Shows they bridged the gap.

I've read a few reviews wich said that the thumbsticks are too short as a negative on reviews on this game.
So does KZ: Mercenary shrink the thumbsticks on the Vita? :oops:

Oh boy...this year is going to be an expansive gaming year.

I could not resist: 169 Euros for Vita + 10 games at Amazon...damn it!

But I blame KZ:M for making me buy a Vita!

Congrats bro :D ! I had a Vita once, its a fab device, a gamer's dream come true ! Will get it again sometime next year or around this winter.

My vita is permanently running super star dust at the moment with sorry shorts bursts of persona. I guess that will change shortly! I'm really stoked for this game.

Back