Killzone: Mercenary

The campaign is lovely. It's definitely a lot closer to the "full KZ experience" than Golden Abyss was to the "full Uncharted experience". It's also well-paced and surprisingly varied. There's nothing in there you haven't done in a million other shooters, but what's there is certainly enjoyable and extremely polished.
I'm not even too bothered by the touch controls. Mostly they've been implemented in a smart way, though some - why can't I navigate through menus with buttons - are quite pointless.

They need to release Killzone 1 on PS Vita... one of my favourite HD re-releases... bought it PSN as soon as it came out, glorious game :)

The MP is incredibly fun in KZ1 HD also... and it has 2 player splitscreen fyi.... (only in MP modes).

They need to release Killzone 1 on PS Vita... one of my favourite HD re-releases... bought it PSN as soon as it came out, glorious game :)

The MP is incredibly fun in KZ1 HD also... and it has 2 player splitscreen fyi.... (only in MP modes).

Yes, the PS2 version had that too, didn't know the hD re release had it too. Its one of my fav games too, just because of the atmosphere of some of the levels. The swamp levels were very close to what RFOM achieved on the ps3 and this was on the ps2.

The campaign is lovely. It's definitely a lot closer to the "full KZ experience" than Golden Abyss was to the "full Uncharted experience". It's also well-paced and surprisingly varied. There's nothing in there you haven't done in a million other shooters, but what's there is certainly enjoyable and extremely polished.
I'm not even too bothered by the touch controls. Mostly they've been implemented in a smart way, though some - why can't I navigate through menus with buttons - are quite pointless.

Would have joined you already but combination of the summer returning and an unexpected first gig for my new band coming Saturday leaves little room for play. Sunday though plenty of rain, so by that time I hope ;)

I bought a second hand PS2 slim just to play KZ 1 on. Now I'm all over time splitters 2 again as well! The news that a version is coming to PS4 is just amazing.

The post just arrived along with KZ mercenary. Yay! Just had a little blast as far as bat wings. Looks better than I thought it would, can see myself arguing with the controls until I get used to them. Though this is a fault of the vita not the game, the sticks are just a little small!

Game has been purchased at least, may quickly pop it in. I got used to the sticks in the beta, trust me, after a while you'll return to your PS3 and wonder why on earth the sticks take so long to be moved from left to right ;) (I had this after playing Rayman Origins a lot on the Vita and going back to the PS3 version)

Rayman Legends was already on the store shelves for Vita too by the way. Was very tempted to get it right then and there, but the game is small enough to warrant a digital purchase instead, and I'd much prefer having both Killzone and Rayman Legends in my Vita at the same time as having to switch carts. ;) (I've for now made the decision to buy games > 3GB on cart, and everything else digital)

I can't get over the quality of this game. If this is the kind of standard the vita is going to be getting from now on then it's going to be a very exciting toy to own!

Also shows just how close mobile gfx are getting to their elder siblings.

I can't get over the quality of this game. If this is the kind of standard the vita is going to be getting from now on then it's going to be a very exciting toy to own!

Also shows just how close mobile gfx are getting to their elder siblings.

Agree that it's quite amazing. The controls were already proven by Resistance on Vita, but this game just plays and looks great, and runs like butter too.

Finished last night. Absolutely solid game, pretty tough final fight though! The little sticks get a workout!

Round two here I come :D

Finished last night. Absolutely solid game, pretty tough final fight though! The little sticks get a workout!

Round two here I come :D

With PS Vita TV announced, my wish to play this on my TV is granted :D ! Can't wait to know when Sony plans to ship it worldwide. The best micro console ever and the perfect gift to kids.

THat HDR is sublime:
image_killzone_mercenary-23093-2573_0001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Without doubt this game will become Vita's graphical and technical showcase, it raises the bar significantly.

Hopefully this puts pressure on other studios at Sony to lift their game, such as Sony Bend; The low res used in Uncharted:GA makes me want to gouge my eyes out, completely ruins the game for me.

Without doubt this game will become Vita's graphical and technical showcase, it raises the bar significantly.

Hopefully this puts pressure on other studios at Sony to lift their game, such as Sony Bend; The low res used in Uncharted:GA makes me want to gouge my eyes out, completely ruins the game for me.

In all fairness, Uncharted still pulls off some tricks that Mercenary doesn't. Deferred lighting, SSAO and global real time shadows spring to mind. I agree that losing that kinda stuff for the sake of image quality was the right call in Mercenary's case, though. (and probably would have worked wonders for Uncharted as well) Mercenary also feels significantly better.

Seriously though, what's up with the kind of patch sizes you need to cope with for games like Killzone Mercenary. Given the prices of the proprietary memory cards, having a 1 GB+ patch that addresses some fairly mimor issues is ridiculous. The patch takes up more space on the card than Rayman Legends does. Some of the save file sizes are kind of ridiculous as well. Little Big Planet's save file is more than a hundred mega bytes.

Back