Battlefield 4 official discussion/thread. [PS4,XO,PS3,X360]

So there's an official bug that the game-saves are vulnerable to crashing forcing you to restart the campagne. What's exactly quite amusing is this quote from the battlefield update-log forums:

Battlefield said:
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2955065219984044095

We have now rolled out a game update for PS4. With this update, we’ve included a number of fixes that should further decrease the amount of crashes and increase the overall stability of the game. We will continue to increase stability going forward, stay tuned.

UPDATE INCLUDES:
-Fixed common crashes that could occur when changing weapons or maps
-Reduced the probability of a corrupted save file in the single player campaign
-Fixed a crash occurring when resuming the single player campaign
-Fixed a bug where accessing PlayStation Plus subscription resulted in a connection error
-Improved performance when shooting at destroyed Levolution objects

Reduced the probability of a corrupted save file? WTF? I can't for the life of me imagine what kind of bug can only be "reduced" and not solved. Very annoying.

Apart from that though - and coming as a Call of Duty gamer, I have to say I am extremely impressed with the game and the multiplayer. Very very nice and addictive.

Anyone else playing this on PS4?

I've spent a good deal of time with the multiplayer now, mostly playing Rush mode. I'm going to have to switch to conquest I think, and try that out. So far, I really like it, but I have a feeling I'll get tired of it faster than the previous titles. Without a big change, I think another game in the series will be a tough sell for me. I'm enjoying it, but I get progressively less excited with each title. I probably had the most fun playing Bad Company 2.

I've spent a good deal of time with the multiplayer now, mostly playing Rush mode. I'm going to have to switch to conquest I think, and try that out. So far, I really like it, but I have a feeling I'll get tired of it faster than the previous titles. Without a big change, I think another game in the series will be a tough sell for me. I'm enjoying it, but I get progressively less excited with each title. I probably had the most fun playing Bad Company 2.

I was a Rush fan coming from BFBC2, but now I play mostly conquest mostly for the 64p MP experience. I gotta say minus the bugs this game is the most impressive for me. The game is very deep and there are so many roles to play. I need to learn how to fly the jets, the A10 Warthog sounds amazing from the ground.

How politically correct these reviewers try to sound when they have to say the X1 's version is visually weaker. just say it guys, why the hesitation? :rolleyes:

How politically correct these reviewers try to sound when they have to say the X1 's version is visually weaker. just say it guys, why the hesitation? :rolleyes:

Where's the hesitation? They explained where the One versions lags behind the PS4 version and even went as far to say if you own both One and PS4, to get the PS4 version.

The truth is that while PS4 versions of almost all multiplayer game are graphically better than the One - on a technical level - we're not seeing bad Xbox One ports. Anybody remember Bayonetta on PS3? :cry:

Can anyone explain to me why I had to create a EA origin account? Is this the same on the Xbox One? I don't quite get the concept of having to have multiple logins, considering you are already tied to the PSN (and I assume the Live one on Xbox).

Also, what's up with the premium? Is it a one-time fee or is it something you then have to re-purchase after a year? I have to say, I'm not exactly liking this concept of having to pay more for extra content considering I now already have to pay to play online (on PlayStation)...

Can anyone explain to me why I had to create a EA origin account? Is this the same on the Xbox One? I don't quite get the concept of having to have multiple logins, considering you are already tied to the PSN (and I assume the Live one on Xbox).

Also, what's up with the premium? Is it a one-time fee or is it something you then have to re-purchase after a year? I have to say, I'm not exactly liking this concept of having to pay more for extra content considering I now already have to pay to play online (on PlayStation)...

Premium is a one-time fee that will entitle you to all of the DLC for Battlefield 4.

I know I have a Battlelog account, but I can't remember if that forced me to make an EA Origin account or not. Never asked me for any credentials for BF4. My gamertag is linked to my Battlelog from BF3, so I guess it just carried over.

Based on the in game PS4 server browser's behaviour, it appears that there are very few west coast US region conquest servers for some reason. If I set the filters to any other region I get lots of results but as soon as I choose west coast US, the list is usually empty or contains 1 - 3 entries max (which are full). This could definitely explain why some of us are seeing lots of rubber banding and similar lag artifacts while others are claiming things are pretty smooth. "Quick Match" keeps choosing Europe mostly which is pretty far network wise.

I experienced another crash last night in MP on Hainan Resort. Some of the maps are pretty piss poor for stability, audio is especially messed up (much like BF3 on the PS3).

Cheers

Based on the in game PS4 server browser's behaviour, it appears that there are very few west coast US region conquest servers for some reason. If I set the filters to any other region I get lots of results but as soon as I choose west coast US, the list is usually empty or contains 1 - 3 entries max (which are full). This could definitely explain why some of us are seeing lots of rubber banding and similar lag artifacts while others are claiming things are pretty smooth. "Quick Match" keeps choosing Europe mostly which is pretty far network wise.

I experienced another crash last night in MP on Hainan Resort. Some of the maps are pretty piss poor for stability, audio is especially messed up (much like BF3 on the PS3).

Cheers

I get audio cutting out on the map with the dam. I've had a few crashes. I think I've only played one match where I had any noticeable lag, so I've been good on the East coast, like you said.

So I played some more online last night and something strikes me as quite odd;

If you have lag, the entire game lags, even your own controls? Has this always been like this in the BF series? I'm pretty sure other games, like CoD, do it a bit differently in that you're own POV is always smooth and if lag occurs, you will see others jumping and ghosting around. Perhaps if you're internet connection is bad, you might get the own lag as well because the game updates your position and your vector depending on what is stored on the server.

In BF4, I get the feeling everything is synched every x miliseconds. So if you're connection (or upload) suddenly lags, the entire smoothness of the game is lost. I had instances yesterday when I did a quick turn and my player started to rotate for a full 2 seconds until it realized that I had long stopped.

TBH - I'm a bit surprised they would do the online stuff like this, as there's never a guarantee that there's no packet loss at any given hundreth of a second? When you have a good connection, it might be rare, but I find it way more annoying when I think the game isn't running smooth or as smooth as it should. At some point, after the lag had disappeared last night, I was still wondering if I had lag simply because it felt awkward. :S

Is this normal?

BF's netcode is the worst on the planet. I already perma moaned in the BF3 thread...and it seems now that instead of improving this tec, the netcode in BF4 is at least as bad...sometimes feel even worse.

Classic: jumping behind cover and out of the line of sight, but still getting hit by bullets a second after and dying...with a supposed ping of 23...lmao.

Has it always been that bad? I can't relate to it, because BF4 is the first one I've played online. To be fair - the multiplayer experience has been pretty flawless up until yesterday - or the day before when I pressed the "Share" button and I think my PS4 started to upload something somewhere which immediately caused a lot of lag - which I had not experienced before.

Lag is always going to be a factor in online games - there's just no way to completely mask it. In CoD you'd have the exact same frustrating moments, with the small difference that for the most part, your own controls weren't limited or tied to your internet connection. Meaning that lag would show itself differently, but in a less annoying way.

In BF4 it seems - and this is where I am having serious concerns - is that your players movement is limited to your connection. At times last night, it felt like I was playing a slow-paced shooter like KZ:SF because my movements were slow and laggy. At some point, I'm constantly wondering if my movements are off or if everything is working fine because how do you judge it when you're just running a bit slower than usual?

In a technical sense - it feels as if your console is transmitting your x/y/z coordinates and perhaps a vector for attributes where you are facing (among other things of course). It is received by the server, then sends back and your screen is then rendered accoarding to what the server sends you. If your packets don't get there, it's as if you never even made those movements. Is this seriously how the netcode looks like in some of these online games? Doesn't sound like a very clever way of doing it...

:mad:

I don't want to move over to CoD again. I really dig the online gameplay of BF4 so far, but I can see issues like these really killing the whole experience. :cry:

BF's netcode is the worst on the planet. I already perma moaned in the BF3 thread...and it seems now that instead of improving this tec, the netcode in BF4 is at least as bad...sometimes feel even worse.

Classic: jumping behind cover and out of the line of sight, but still getting hit by bullets a second after and dying...with a supposed ping of 23...lmao.

Does the game show your ping in the server browser? So far my experience, in terms of lag, has been pretty much flawless (meaning as good as it can be accepting there will always be some lag even if you can't see it). I'm only 9 hours from NYC, so I imagine the North East servers cover me pretty well.

if you mean me, no, i didnt even know there was such a setting. what does that change?

Back