Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

It sounded like this was just a temporary thing up until the launch of XB1, going by the presentation.

Yes, it sort of seems that way, though I expect they will switch over to focus on Xbox One rewards for Xbox Live Gold in 2014 or some mix between Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

To me everything Microsoft is doing seems to mimick Apple. They want Xbox to a consumer hit like the iPhone is perceveid.

How likely it is that they might start releasing updated versione of the hardware on a tight cycle, like Apple is doing?

Think about the name too: Xbox One. :!:

Also all this talk of your "library game" that goes around with you...

To me everything Microsoft is doing seems to mimick Apple. They want Xbox to a consumer hit like the iPhone is perceveid.

How likely it is that they might start releasing updated versione of the hardware on a tight cycle, like Apple is doing?

Think about the name too: Xbox One. :!:

Also all this talk of your "library game" that goes around with you...

Maybe maybe not. I think its more about having a portable ecosystem.... Maybe the plan is to have xbox games be playable on MS related devices using Win 8 OS... That would be a definite plan... Something about their HW assumptions is screwed up... I cant believe they spent 3 billion on IC design for the One... no way

I honestly don't see how Microsoft can survive this I can see the headlines right now 20 percent more expensive 30-50 percent less powerful. :D

Did I mention you need internet connection also.

I can see Microsoft dropping the price before release or adding more incentives.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was on pthurrots website "winsupersite.com and came across this comment by a user named penetronn. He is the buyer that MS is targeting and there are more people like him in the US than not:

"penetronn on Jun 11, 2013
Couldn't agree more. With the PS4 undercutting Xbox One's price by a full $100 (they are probably selling them at a loss or at least razor thin margins to gain back market share) the games cost will be an important factor going forward.

Something about this DRM issue doesn't smell right to me. I can't believe that publishers asked Microsoft for the DRM system and then let Sony skate by for free - when Microsoft has admitted that the program is optional and that they don't take a cut of the re-sales. I'll bet Sony had the same controls in place and saw the reaction to Microsoft's press conference three weeks ago, pulled the plug on DRM and attempted to steal a march on Microsoft with E3's keynote.

The point to all of this is, there has to be a consequence for Sony's move. My speculation is that the cost of retail games will be HIGHER for Sony because they can't guarantee developers a cut of used game sales like Microsoft can.

We'll see how it all shakes out. I'm still going with the Xbox One because I love my live profile and I'm genuinely intrigued by the Kinect 2.0. Ten years ago the PlayStation 4 would have been my choice. But I have a young family now that watches a lot of TV, plays games, talks to grandparents on Skype and the Xbox One provides all of those in a better-looking package."

I totally agree. I dont play games as much as i used but i do watch more tv, and stream... If the same games are coming to both consoles the XB1 still has more value for me.

Funny thing is, 360 was far more expensive than PS3 because of Live fees, and now the pricing between the two is actually closer, with PS4 charging for online play. But that $100 difference on the pricetag will convince people otherwise. $100 is still a lot of money for a lot of people.

I'm also curious to know how game pricing will play out. Microsoft said they are letting publishers set their own prices. How did it work before?

You don't need a $500 box with XBL Gold fees to watch TV.

And if you want to watch Netflix, there are far cheaper and straightforward ways to get it than a $500 box with XBL service fees.

You don't need a $500 box with XBL Gold fees to watch TV.

And if you want to watch Netflix, there are far cheaper and straightforward ways to get it than a $500 box with XBL service fees.

But how many of those things play console games? If you want to play console games, isn't it better to have those features in the Xbox, rather than buying an Xbox and have to buy another device on top?

They can also buy a PS4 for NetFlix and rent BR games and videos.

Or buy an AppleTV, Roku box.

Or a SmartTV.

Or just watch TV on iPad.

EDIT: Look at Apple, they know watching TV is a low value proposition because the new TVs will come built-in with NetFlix and other video services.

The next step would be cheap Kinect like controllers, not as flexible as Kinect, only recognize a few gestures for TV surfing, selling for cheap or built in.

They can also buy a PS4 for NetFlix and rent BR games and videos.

Or buy an AppleTV, Roku box.

Or a SmartTV.

Or just watch TV on iPad.

Yeah they could, or they could just buy one device that does it all. I'm not saying it's a huge win for X1, but I can see how some people will find the idea attractive. You basically have two options. X1 or PS4 + another device.

Well most people who would consider buying these consoles, especially in the first year, probably have many ways to play Netflix and other streaming video.

They have current gen consoles, tablets, smart phones, digital set top boxes.

On top of that, they have DVRs to time-shift TV.

They could get the PS4 and still get Netflix (PS4 will offer Netflix as well).

So the question becomes, are you willing to pay $100 plus ongoing service fees to flap your arms to change channels or talk to your Xbox to change channels as opposed to pressing a button on your remote?

Yeah they could, or they could just buy one device that does it all. I'm not saying it's a huge win for X1, but I can see how some people will find the idea attractive. You basically have two options. X1 or PS4 + another device.

If you are not interested in gaming ? There are a lot of options $99 and below.

I edited my previous post to elaborate.

Well it's $100 more if you want a next gen console plus TV.

But if you already have a nice TV or home theater setup, it's $500 more for the Kinect TV remote.

iPads and tablets will just become that universal remote _plus_ you can watch the shows in bed and on the go.

Look carefully. Many consumers simply switch to iPad and leave the living room TV alone. My family belong to this camp. When my wife says watch TV, she meant watch Hulu Plus.

And google for iPad universal remote. Same for Android.

Perhaps apple will release iWall, until then I think TVs are fairly safe.

Talking about potential future products isn't useful. The current products don't have that function built in. You could be waiting a long time.

Back