Official February 20, 2013 Playstation event

Am I the only one concered about this things heat? The GPU lands between 7870 and 7850, which puts it at 140-150 watts. Thats just the GPU. The 8 Jag cores probably are ~20 watts. The interconnects, ect and the rest of the chip are 5-10 watts. That's ~170-175 watts on one chip. Now add in ~20 watts for the 16 GDDR 5 chips. 190-195 watts. Its going to need a blower-style cooler, or a very large enclosure with a multi fan heatpipe setup. Thats the same heat as a GTX 680, and look at the cooling on those, all blowers and monster multi-fan heat pipes.

Am I the only one concered about this things heat? The GPU lands between 7870 and 7850, which puts it at 140-150 watts. Thats just the GPU. The 8 Jag cores probably are ~20 watts. The interconnects, ect and the rest of the chip are 5-10 watts. That's ~170-175 watts on one chip. Now add in ~20 watts for the 16 GDDR 5 chips. 190-195 watts. Its going to need a blower-style cooler, or a very large enclosure with a multi fan heatpipe setup. Thats the same heat as a GTX 680, and look at the cooling on those, all blowers and monster multi-fan heat pipes.

Peak consumption in gaming based on TPU tests for 7870 is 115W and 7850 96W, and even Furmark manages to push 7850 only to 101W. 7870 gets up to 144W though.

edit: Also, first gen PS3 used around 180-210W depending on source.

CPU and GPU are on same die, right?

Going by what they managed to get the Wii U down to using, I think 150W isn't outside the realm of possibility?

Just finished watching the show. Couldn't stay up last night, my eyes were drying out and threatened to kill me so I went to bed at 11PM. Glad I didn't stay up, that was a LONG show.

Dunno really who Mark Cherny is - I've certainly played Marble Madness in my youth! - he seems a rather *cough!* "fabulous" fella, with his expressions and...ahem...mannerisms. :) Sorry. I don't mean to be prejudiced in any way, it just struck me watching him. Anyway! Specs... Wow. 8GB. THAT was a bit unexpected! I think some of us were worried Sony were going to have to go with just 2GB, but obviously they decided to go all-out no holds barred etc. Fantastic.

The hardware certainly seems to be quite capable, despite the average-ish power level in absolute terms. I was totally, totally blown away by Killzone, which looks just amazing and insane. Infamous, if in-game, was also incredibly impressive, as was Square's presentation, but I've no idea if that was actually PS4-rendered realtime or not as I've seen at least some parts of that video before. Bungie's Destiny, also very impressive. Basically, these console games are far ahead of almost all current PC games visually; only Crysis 3 can really compete, from what we've been shown so far. This is GOOD NEWS though, as porting games to the PC will be much easier with this console hardware than it used to be in the past.

Ubi's game wasn't as jawdropping; I'm uncertain of what gameplay is actually like. Completely openended like GTA, just move around, hack stuff and cause random havoc...what? Maybe there is a plot hidden in there somewhere, I dunno. (Now there's a UBI guy talking about the game on the post-show session at Gametrailers, maybe I'll find out as I'm typing up this post!)

Poor Wuu, though! PS4 + Vita does anything the Wuu does and...ahem...about 16x more, just going by main memory bandwidth. :LOL: Oh, but Vita doesn't have a NFC reader! It's DOOMED! *ahem* Sorry about that.

They showed the controller - big whoop though, as it already leaked before the show - but NOT the box itself! That was unexpected, but also understandable I suppose. Sony might want to hold back some of the system's flash and thunder for later in the year, not blow everything all at once, if the final look has even been decided yet. That's always a possibility also.

The Gaikai stuff, as well as the PS Store with dynamic downloading and so on was very interesting. A bit disappointing that streaming will apparantly be Sony's solution to backwards compatibility, but hey... PS3 will basically be totally un-emulatable for 10+ years if not more, including Cell into the PS4 would be cost prohibitive, and an add-on box is generally just fail, as major hardware addons for consoles traditionally bellyflop bigtime.

I must say that Sony seems to really have its shit together this time around. The fumbling and bumbling we saw with PS3 and online, achievements, friends management and so on appears to be a thing of the past. It's the new Sony! The sharing aspects, webcasting of gameplay, letting people jump into your game and interact with you as you play and so on, it's very aggressive and fascinating. I'd really like to see what people do with it post-release of the console! It seems a lot more useful than poor Wuu's nintendo universe scratchpad.

...Now you have to excuse me, I have ten (edit: shit, scratch that... 26!) pages of this thread to catch up on. :LOL:

Agni was introduced with "You've seen some parts of this before, but now here it is running on actual PS4 hardware ... "

I'm totally turned off from watchdog now, watching the trailer I was just thinking this is assassins creed in a modern day city, even the way he jumped over things was exactly as Connor does in ac3.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-the-big-interview-sonys-shuhei-yoshida-on-ps4

Shuhei Yoshida interview. Some info on the publishing too.

I have to say the show was a bit dull, but reading this I do think they are on the right track. Although it took them almost a generation to get their services act together, I wouldn't be surprised if I will end up with a PS4 before a new Box.

Just a hunch...

Eurogamer: [At this point I'm hassled to wrap things up, so I asked for one more question.] Recently a lot of small or medium sized developers have moved away from home consoles to Steam or iOS or Android. What are you doing to bring them back? Is the self-publishing thing an example of that?

Shuhei Yoshida: Yes, that's a big part - a digital platform. There are many things we can do better to make it much more developer-friendly, instead of publishing on PlayStation Network, so it's more our focus - how we can make it easier for small developers to work with us to bring the content to PlayStation 4.

Eurogamer: Have you defined how the self-publishing process will work? Do you need a developer kit to develop for PS4 if it's based on PC architecture?

Shuhei Yoshida: So we are doing something like that with PlayStation Mobile and it's purely software development.

Eurogamer: So it will be possible to develop for PS4 even if you don't have a developer kit as well?

Shuhei Yoshida: Aaah, so we have to see... It depends on how we define the layer. The way we are approaching PS4 now is allowing developers to go really deep onto the metal, so Richard [Leadbetter of Digital Foundry] will know how that availability to the deeper hardware makes the console games way better than some PC or mobile approach. But if we do that, it will definitely require hardware to develop games.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm totally turned off from watchdog now, watching the trailer I was just thinking this is assassins creed in a modern day city, even the way he jumped over things was exactly as Connor does in ac3.

I felt the same with Killzone as well. Just a utterly dumb Crysis/COD/etc...etc shooter again. It's was an interactive techdemo with zero "next-gen" gaming experience in it, none whatsoever.

On the other hand, I really like the system tho, and the fact that Sony just "took" everything what's good about consoles and also what's good about having a well configured gaming PC and going to make those features available for everybody who knows nothing about computers. Smart move indeed.

I thought that was a very good presentation. The 8GB of GDDR5 was a pleasant surprise and I think the design is showing collectively that they really see where they fell short with the PS3 and were determined when designing the PS4 to address those shortcomings. I think developers are going to genuinely love this thing.

I think some of the social stuff is a little over-wrought, but maybe it will surprise me.

I like they way they are leveraging Gaikai. There's a lot of potential there.

I like the new controller.

The interaction with other devices (Vita, mobile, PC) is what would be expected and should be a checkbox feature for all next-gen consoles.

The things they implemented to address the user experience actually were much more impressive to me than any of the games they showed. I always appreciate when companies show an understanding of the ways that users will be interacting with their device and make smart decisions to make those interactions as pleasant as possible. Things like the streaming game demos, play while you download and power off to suspend show that they "get it" and I find that very appealing. I think that when this comes out, even the most die-hard PS3 fans may finally see how poor the PS3 user experience was in some ways.

I'm coming out of this pretty optimistic towards their chance for success with the PS4. Price will be key, though. If it's too expensive the public will balk, no matter how good it is.

Agni was introduced with "You've seen some parts of this before, but now here it is running on actual PS4 hardware ... "

Yes I forgot to mention in my previous post. Looks good. Hope they have a simple story, not another XIII. I really like how the girl looks. 8^)

I felt the same with Killzone as well. Just a utterly dumb Crysis/COD/etc...etc shooter again. It's was an interactive techdemo with zero "next-gen" gaming experience in it, none whatsoever.

On the other hand, I really like the system tho, and the fact that Sony just "took" everything what's good about consoles and also what's good about having a well configured gaming PC and going to make those features available for everybody who knows nothing about computers. Smart move indeed.

Yep, KZ has lost all its art direction and become just another game. 8^/
Where did the creativity and imagination go ?

That's funny because that's all they were going on about, allowing creativity.

Let's give them the benefit of the doubt though, killzone 2 was not a visual orgasm from the start, the ship section was quite bland.

I think some of the social stuff is a little over-wrought, but maybe it will surprise me.
Agree.

I like they way they are leveraging Gaikai. There's a lot of potential there.
Hmm. otential, yes, but will it really work? I was disappointed to here BC (PS1 and 2) would likely come from there. I have PS2 disks I want to put in and play, and the hardware's up to it.

I like the new controller.
I dislike the proportions myself. They also didn't really show it in action. Want to see more.

The interaction with other devices (Vita, mobile, PC) is what would be expected and should be a checkbox feature for all next-gen consoles.
Yeah, we've all been forecasting that.

The things they implemented to address the user experience actually were much more impressive to me than any of the games they showed...
I think that was the take-home point for me - Sony are doing what we all think they should do, which means they're not being numpties. ;) Nothing exciting, but a solid idea and solid product from the looks of it.

That's funny because that's all they were going on about, allowing creativity.

Let's give them the benefit of the doubt though, killzone 2 was not a visual orgasm from the start, the ship section was quite bland.

The art direction was very clear right from the start.

Shifty said:
I think that was the take-home point for me - Sony are doing what we all think they should do, which means they're not being numpties. ;) Nothing exciting, but a solid idea and solid product from the looks of it.

The look & feel reminds me of a web page UI. I would be very happy if a WebKit browser is in fact running in parallel with the game. They can make a seamless web + 3D game/app now. e.g., We should be able to surf and play an embedded game on the same web page, then expand the embedded game into full screen. Zoom out into the Playstation Home meta-world, participate in some web based lucky draw. Compare trophies with friends, and chat with a random PS Home crowd together with a real-life buddy, launch into another game with the whole lot of them.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-the-big-interview-sonys-shuhei-yoshida-on-ps4

Shuhei Yoshida interview. Some info on the publishing too.

I have to say the show was a bit dull, but reading this I do think they are on the right track. Although it took them almost a generation to get their services act together, I wouldn't be surprised if I will end up with a PS4 before a new Box.

Just a hunch...

With 8 GB, I think they need to leapfrog. e.g., allow the end user to publish and promote user levels. Blend their user levels into Internet widgets like greeting cards, Youtube video, HTML pages (blog and forum posts), or even printed 3D objects.

In the other direction, take Internet big data and make a game out of it. e.g., allow users to make a driving game from OpenStreetMap.

With PSEye and Move, users can direct their FFXV fan video by acting it out in front of the camera, or use Move to puppeteer moves that are too difficult to perform yourself.

Point with the backward compatibility through GaiKai is not just that the hardware can or cannot do it, but that it is 'instant on' with anything from the catalog. What if they put all PS2 titles in there, perhaps through an upscaling PC emulator, and I and anyone else including people who never had a PS2 can play all of them on my Vita, or iPad, or Android device, controls permitting, whenever and whereever we feel like it? And this including cloud-based savegames and all ... eventually that could work out rather well, irrespective of if you'd also want to be able to run old PS2 discs on the PS4.

EDIT: there was a quiet suggestion during the conference that the OS is based on Vita's OS. Haven't been much comments on that, but it is interesting.

Anyone have a good video of the UI? I can only find a video that shows the video sharing features. Is there more than that?

Back