Official February 20, 2013 Playstation event

slightly off topic, but right now the most successful game companies in Finland make cellphone and "facebook" style games. Gone are the years when companies like Remedy (max payne, Alan Wake) and Bugbear (Rally Trophy, Burnout paradise, FlatOut series and latest Ridge Racer) were the big ones.Two biggest / most successful game companies are here right now SuperCell (Clash of the clans) and Rovio Entertainment. Neither one most likely won't do anything for any of the "next generation" consoles or if their games are seen there, they are pretty much straight forward ports from the original platforms.

Things are in change. You can make a lot bigger revenues with small addictive games with possibility buy additional stuff in game with real money (targetted to tenths of platforms) and based on simple ideas than mega budget monsters like Alan Wake was. Most of the guys I knew working with big game titles are now working with "facebook" games. Just because 75-90% of game industry work places are now targeting to that market and the big budget houses are battling to get games published and so reducing radically their workforce. The risks making big budget game is huge compared to these small ones and excpected revenue ain't that much different.

It's the link above. In Mark Cerny's segment, he highlighted a Secondary Custom Chip to facilitate background processing. This is the compute unit DF mentioned ? (Different from the 4CUs in the GPU since it's a separate chip).

I'm guessing it's an arm core for background OS processes. Perhaps the OS itself runs on the companion CPU. This is in line with what GopherD on NeoGAF claimed about the PS4 reserving less than a full CPU core for background tasks.

I guess they will go for the bad news sandwich, next event will detail prices and charging for online (if they do - cannot really see them charging for all these features though) and e3 will be all about the games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sony has played smart ! It has satisfied or pacified the hardcore gamers with these vidoes and now it can focus completely on family and stuff at E3. After all, they have snuck in a "Kinect" in there quietly, so.....;) !

MM is fucking awesome!
That's what I was telling them to make on LBP2. There I was harping on about virtual puppetry and whatnot with Move, but did they listen/ Does anyone ever listen? *sigh*

8 GBs GDDR5. How are Sony doing that? And the cameras are on a separate sensor bar, about 5 or 6 inches apart. Guess Sony are breaking the bank on that on. :p No show for their motion controls though. Absolutely nothing on body tracking or AR. Guess the software isn't ready.

Other than that, PR blunders. Almost "2 Teraflops" ... so less powerful than the Ps3. :p And the amazing head shader, no better than the already photorealistic Alfred Molina.

Content was rather vague too, outside of first parties. So quite an empty two hours. Still 8 GBs RAM and stereo cameras confirmed.

Im sorry but Im feeling really stupid but could I get a a time stamp for it :/

1:23:39

BBC has collected reactions from various sites. The comments seem surprisingly negative. For example this is what The New York Times has said about the PS4 launch event:

Ah, Sony needs to work on their relationships with bloggers.
It looks like their competition, non-gamers and people who don't like Sony have already developed negative contents to escalate on the net. ^_^

slightly off topic, but right now the most successful game companies in Finland make cellphone and "facebook" style games. Gone are the years when companies like Remedy (max payne, Alan Wake) and Bugbear (Rally Trophy, Burnout paradise, FlatOut series and latest Ridge Racer) were the big ones.Two biggest / most successful game companies are here right now SuperCell (Clash of the clans) and Rovio Entertainment. Neither one most likely won't do anything for any of the "next generation" consoles or if their games are seen there, they are pretty much straight forward ports from the original platforms.

Things are in change. You can make a lot bigger revenues with small addictive games with possibility buy additional stuff in game with real money (targetted to tenths of platforms) and based on simple ideas than mega budget monsters like Alan Wake was. Most of the guys I knew working with big game titles are now working with "facebook" games. Just because 75-90% of game industry work places are now targeting to that market and the big budget houses are battling to get games published and so reducing radically their workforce. The risks making big budget game is huge compared to these small ones and excpected revenue ain't that much different.

My general feeling is yes, Sony did not differentiate enough from PC games. As a result, they are still being framed and associated with the old console concept. Then again, I think these addictive small games may backfire (eventually).

My wife is a big fan of Clash of the Clans. I like the concept but not the exact formula. e.g., It takes 6 full days to upgrade your freaking Townhall to level 7. As you level up, it takes more and more time to upgrade and raise your army. Give me a break. I'm a busy guy. I want a more efficient game with similar concept (e.g., Warcraft ?). The audience for Clash of Clans seem like people who have lot's of time on their hands (kids and people staying at home). It's really time consuming and laborious to play. I stay away from the game, prefer to watch only. My wife may give up soon because it's taking too much time to play and wait for the game. She's asking me if she should quit, but I kept quiet because I want to observe her natural response. ^_^ I forbid my son to play the game because I prefer him to spend his time more productively.

The game will also benefit from recorded playback. It's one of our biggest enhancement requests. We want to be able to replay our previous attacks and defenses. Right now, it's limited to 3-5 defenses only (and no attack playback).

Anyway, back to the event. Should also show a silhouette of the PS4 if a prototype was ready.

Gaikai is their "Developers have nothing to lose" offer. Besides the local streaming, they should also show a remote Gaikai game on Vita. They can also show a touchscreen game streamed locally to iOS too, just to show more relevance and utility for the PS4. I guess they are not ready yet, and need Apple's blessing too. They should follow up quickly.

Media Molecule's game should be demoed with 3D printing. 8^/ (Ironically, PS3 supports printing).

David Cage's face demo looks great. Should have done something more emotional like the Kara demo.

The other games are mostly standard console/PC gaming. Over here, Capcom's Deep Soul^H^H^H^H Down looks most appealing to me.

They should have follow-up discussions with the negative bloggers. That's it. Too tired to think. Will go sleep now.

EDIT:
I'm guessing it's an arm core for background OS processes. Perhaps the OS itself runs on the companion CPU. This is in line with what GopherD on NeoGAF claimed about the PS4 reserving less than a full CPU core for background tasks.

Thanks. Would be great if they could say more. It sounds like it's being used for background upload and download mostly.

Pretty nice hardware....it's interesting that they effectively contracted AMD to design a custom "monster APU" and ditched a separate GPU. It does make sense for longterm die shrinks later.

I wonder what Jonathan Blow meant when he said self publishing. I hope PS4 is much more open and friendlier to indie devs.

I wonder what Jonathan Blow meant when he said self publishing. I hope PS4 is much more open and friendlier to indie devs.

Mark Rein also talked about that later after the conference. That would be huge now is seems quite easy to get a game up and running on the PC and the port it to the PS3.

Back