Official February 20, 2013 Playstation event

It's been quite clear for some time that all the CUs and Jag cores are on a single die.

My apologies. My eyes look right past the single chip part. Thats got to big die though. Getting away from communicating over the pci-e must be worth it.

Any reason why this can't run eyefinity? That would be something, and might even make the 8GB RAM appear like it's not complete nonsense.

will it have the fillrate to run eyefinity ?

Assuming this console is going to run in 1080p your looking at 2,073,600 pixels. Eyefinity would be 6,220,800 which of course is 3 times the pixels. So it will take 3 times the power to run the same game at that resolution.

Any reason why this can't run eyefinity? That would be something, and might even make the 8GB RAM appear like it's not complete nonsense.

The 8 GB ram is also system ram though right? For just GPU 8 GB is overkill for sure, but if its shared memory I guess it seems a better amount.

If someone else can e plain better that would be cool.

Probably very much so. Also a glossed over bit of the spec says it's AMD's next Gen GPU bassed. So after GCN it appears.

I might be dumb owning Diablo 3 already but I'm pretty exited about finding the change they made to the game for consoles. In sacred 2 control were imperfect but definitely the pad implementation were quiet good.
For some reasons I've high expectations. I wonder if they will let people import their toons (from PC).
Defintely not really next gen as Diablo 3 is not exactely demanding and shuold run just fine on either the ps3 or the 360.
Consle gamers are kind of lucky they will get the ironed out version of Diablo 3. I no longer play much but a few of my friends do and Blizzard goes it seems a good job (though it is always to slow for the fans).

Kind of surprised there isn't more talk about the actual games displayed. Knack looks really interesting to me.

Also regarding the memory what sort of trade off exist due to 8 gigs of GDDR5 versus DDR3 due to the latency?

I might be dumb owning Diablo 3 already but I'm pretty exited about finding the change they made to the game for consoles. In sacred 2 control were imperfect but definitely the pad implementation were quiet good.
For some reasons I've high expectations. I wonder if they will let people import their toons (from PC).
Defintely not really next gen as Diablo 3 is not exactely demanding and shuold run just fine on either the ps3 or the 360.
Consle gamers are kind of lucky they will get the ironed out version of Diablo 3. I no longer play much but a few of my friends do and Blizzard goes it seems a good job (though it is always to slow for the fans).

I'm actually more excited that this whole PC configuration deal and partnering with ActiBlizz will mean that more Blizzard games in addition to Diablo might come to all consoles.

I want to see ARPGs and RTS games return to consoles, especially with full KB/M support! How rich would that be?

If Blizzard would release StarCraft on PS4 and Maxis follow with SimCity, I would lose a lot of reasons to upgrade my PC and just buy a PS4 on launch...

Valve released CSGO with full KB/M support on PS3... I really wat to see this trend continue, especially since both Durango and PS4 are so much more similar to PC hardware even more than last generation.

Valve, Blizzard, Maxis.... I really want to see all these guys on consoles again. How great would it be to have Battle.net and Steam both on one console? I know Sony is game for it seeing as how Steam can be linked to PS3 accounts.

PC developers, bring your games across PC and consoles! There has been no better time!

Just look at all the talk of playing games across devices. Make it work guys :)

Watched the KZ gameplay demo again. That last pan out at the end showing the entire city from above looks amazing. Hope they put a direct feed version up later.

Im pretty stoked. I guess you could make the case that 8 jags and 18 CUs isnt all that much compared to a high powered desktop set up. But its my opinion that we will see better quality titles over the next six or seven years out the consoles then produce by highend PC gaming over the last 2 or 3. Getting higher rez textures and better aa will be alot better with ps4 and 720 titles versus the ps3 and 360.

To me 8 jags is better than 1 ppe and i highly doubt that the rsv and spes wont be outshined by 18 CUs. And 8 gigs of ddr5 will make sure a lack of ram wont be a flaw this gen.

Im going all single player though. I have never paid for multiplayer and Ive never really been enthusiastic about multiplayer outside my time as a hardcore pc gamer.

Im just glad that there is going to be at least one manfacturer who hasnt bought into the wii myth. I must admit I wouldnt be mad if ms spends the savings of 6 CUs and ddr3 on providing a more attractive to hardcore gamers kinect feature set that actually expands on core interaction/gameplay mechanics. I would like more than a handful of console exclusive IPs as my lone excuse for owning a ps4 and a 720.

Ken Hirai's quote now makes sense. You can go first if you know your competition won't be able to react in time.Microsoft won't be able change the RAM from DDr3 to GDDR5 or improve the gpu specs in time for the PS4 launch.

On neogaf, bgassassin is having to admit about being wrong about the quantity of GDDR5 RAM.

Makes one wonder about if the statement about double the gflops for the Jaguar cores is also wrong too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the new controller a LOT ! Lovely design,yet familiar ! What is the blue light in the front for? I missed the first half hour of the conference.

What I really liked was the complete integration of Gaikai into PSN ! Sounds amazing and a distinguishing feature, though it will be unusable in my country.

Also amazing was Infamous Second Son . The gfx of KZ were jaq dropping for sure but the COD-like gameplay lulls me. Hope they go back to KZ2 style intense gunfights cos the Helghast city at the end was so good I wanted to jump right in :) ! Soem anims were jarring though.BTW, is that confirmed ps4 footage? Also, have GG revealed any tech info ?

Sony seems to have saved Santa Monica and ND's games for E3. Also noBF4 yet.

I like the new controller a LOT ! Lovely design,yet familiar ! What is the blue light in the front for? I missed the first half hour of the conference.

What I really liked was the complete integration of Gaikai into PSN ! Sounds amazing and a distinguishing feature, though it will be unusable in my country.

Also amazing was Infamous Second Son . The gfx of KZ were jaq dropping for sure but the COD-like gameplay lulls me. Hope they go back to KZ2 style intense gunfights cos the Helghast city at the end was so good I wanted to jump right in :) ! Soem anims were jarring though.BTW, is that confirmed ps4 footage? Also, have GG revealed any tech info ?

Sony seems to have saved Santa Monica and ND's games for E3. Also noBF4 yet.

KZ Shadowfall or whatever it was called was being played on stage on hardware apparently, and also apparently deep down was also in engine on hardware but no gameplay.

What secondary custom chip? I cant find a good quality complete stream of the conference so can you provide a link if you have one?.

It's the link above. In Mark Cerny's segment, he highlighted a Secondary Custom Chip to facilitate background processing. This is the compute unit DF mentioned ? (Different from the 4CUs in the GPU since it's a separate chip).

It's the link above. In Mark Cerny's segment, he highlighted a Secondary Custom Chip to facilitate background processing. This is the compute unit DF mentioned ? (Different from the 4CUs in the GPU since it's a separate chip).

Im sorry but Im feeling really stupid but could I get a a time stamp for it :/

Back