PlayStation 4 (codename Orbis) technical hardware investigation (news and rumours)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that the speaker/ mic will also be used for Ultrasonic motion tracking.

I think they'd more likely put in a small emitter like what's in those dog whistle things, rather than an ultrasonic tweeter. And those ultrasonic devices seem to be fairly directional, so that speaker placement would be on the wrong part of the controller. Even the patent shows the emitters (Tx) placed on specific parts of the controller for directional use.

I think they'd more likely put in a small emitter like what's in those dog whistle things, rather than an ultrasonic tweeter. And those ultrasonic devices seem to be fairly directional, so that speaker placement would be on the wrong part of the controller. Even the patent shows the emitters (Tx) placed on specific parts of the controller for directional use.

In the EyePad patent it says that the Speaker \ Mic can be used for Voice Chat\Voice Commends & can also be used to locate the pad when the colored light isn't visible to the PlayStation's Camera.

In the EyePad patent it says that the Speaker \ Mic can be used for Voice Chat\Voice Commends & can also be used to locate the pad when the colored light isn't visible to the PlayStation's Camera.

We shall see. If they have ultrasonic sensing built-in, it will be more interesting for robotics apps 8^P. Somehow I doubt it. Sounds too good to be true.

Move can interpolate player position if the controller is temporarily obscured. Since DS4 does not have a magnetometer, perhaps they need ultrasonic sensors as a replacement. However I don't see people flinging DS4 while playing. Not sure if it needs the same accuracy as a Move controller.

*shrug* It's not like I'm going to snipe from the top of my DVD/BR shelf, and leopard crawl to under the coffee table. :)

We shall see. If they have ultrasonic sensing built-in, it will be more interesting for robotics apps 8^P. Somehow I doubt it. Sounds too good to be true.

Move can interpolate player position if the controller is temporarily obscured. Since DS4 does not have a magnetometer, perhaps they need ultrasonic sensors as a replacement. However I don't see people flinging DS4 while playing. Not sure if it needs the same accuracy as a Move controller.

What are the reasons the controller even needs to be tracked all the time?

*shrug* It's not like I'm going to snipe from the top of my DVD/BR shelf, and leopard crawl to under the coffee table. :)

I think it will be for AR , MR ,VR & whatever crazy ideas Sony can come up with using all this data.

IMHO, the beauty of controller-based games is you can play games in your most comfortable position. This applies to AR and VR games. Controller-free titles are tuned for different entertainment styles.

If they really want to, a directional mic is useful enough for improved voice recognition during gaming.

If they start to track player position for gaming, Sony risk running into room space and line-of-sight issues. If the PS4 can't see the player's Dualshock LED, most likely the player also can't see the screen properly.

The other way is to map the room. Aibo used 8 ultrasonic sensors. It seems too heavy weight for a Dualshock (or a few Dualshocks).

IMHO, the beauty of controller-based games is you can play games in your most comfortable position. This applies to AR and VR games. Controller-free titles are tuned for different entertainment styles.

If they really want to, a directional mic is useful enough for improved voice recognition during gaming.

If they start to track player position for gaming, Sony risk running into room space and line-of-sight issues. If the PS4 can't see the player's Dualshock LED, most likely the player also can't see the screen properly.

The other way is to map the room. Aibo used 8 ultrasonic sensors. It seems too heavy weight for a Dualshock (or a few Dualshocks).

I think I have the Answer to why Sony would want to have the location of the Controller & Person playing the game.

3D Sound.

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...mputer"&OS="sony+computer"&RS="sony+computer"

If you can't view the photos on the patent site I have them re-uploaded at the link below.

http://gamenmotion.blogspot.com/2013/02/playstation-4-controllers-speaker.html

Edit: I also notice that a RFID reader might be part of the PS4. maybe that will be for scanning the games that you buy.

20130041648-10+small.jpg

20130041648-7+small.jpg

20130041648-9+small.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's pretty cool !

Assuming PSEye is built-in, the controller LED should be more accurate than ultrasound sensing. Then, deliver 3D sound with your TV and controller speakers.

If PSEye is optional, then perhaps ultrasound is used by default ? I don't know enough about ultrasound sensing. My impression is it's slower and more difficult (due to echoes). For the 3D sound to work, I'd imagine they want to know your position ASAP to avoid lag in the 3D sound effects.

That's pretty cool !

Assuming PSEye is built-in, the controller LED should be more accurate than ultrasound sensing. Then, deliver 3D sound with your TV and controller speakers.

If PSEye is optional, then perhaps ultrasound is used by default ? I don't know enough about ultrasound sensing. My impression is it's slower and more difficult (due to echoes). For the 3D sound to work, I'd imagine they want to know your position ASAP to avoid lag in the 3D sound effects.

In that same patent there is also a camera on the headset which has me thinking the port on the controller isn't just for Audio.

If they make it too complicated, it will feel more like a random science experiment than a consumer product.

If they make it too complicated, it will feel more like a random science experiment than a consumer product.

Maybe they see this as the prefect time to go after VR,MR & AR Gaming & having a camera on your head as part of the headset is a easy way to see what the player is seeing in the real world so they can use it in the game. if you have the PlayStation Eye go into EyeCreate & place the PS-Eye on top of your head stick your hands out in front of you while looking at the TV you will quickly realize that this is the way that the EyeToy \EyePet & other AR games should have been played in First Person View. the only problem being that the TV will be picked up by the camera creating a endless loop but that's easily fixed by using AR to make your TV a game menu or something when it's picked up by the camera.

Also think about the code name for the PlayStation 4 it's Orbis.

"Orbis in English
circle, orb, ring, disk, orbit, coil/ round / rotation."

To me that goes perfect with the idea of having the camera on your head & placing the game around you.

look at the controller it's an AR Marker.

I'm in my room now with the PlayStation Eye on top of my head looking around my room & it's actually scary to think about someone making a scary game with stuff popping up in your room & the lights blink on the TV & switch to the camera that's pointing at you & it shows something standing behind you all while using 3D Sound .

I saw that video. It looks like a PR exercise.

Occulus Rift (VR) seems to impress gamers. At least in the short term, people's response to augmented reality games has been luke warm. Perhaps AR is more suitable for Internet apps (like Google Glasses).

HMZ-T1 is not bad too. Was really impressed by the 3D quality. If they remove the lag, reduce the price, and make it comfortable and easy to wear, it would be a winner. It's not easy to achieve all 3 though.

I'm in my room now with the PlayStation Eye on top of my head looking around my room & it's actually scary to think about someone making a scary game with stuff popping up in your room & the lights blink on the TV & switch to the camera that's pointing at you & it shows something standing behind you all while using 3D Sound .
Unless the screen is moving with you (headset), a head-mounted camera is pretty useless. And I doubt Sony will be including a headset with every PS4!

Unless the screen is moving with you (headset), a head-mounted camera is pretty useless. And I doubt Sony will be including a headset with every PS4!

Not true. I actually tried this with the PlayStation Eye on top of my head & looking at the TV while moving my head around you can pretty much get over 70% of your room into view without taking your eyes off the TV & reaching out & touching stuff while looking at it on the TV is completely natural.

It would work perfectly with AR & will also be good for VR if the Dual Camera on top of your TV is tracking your body in 3D & the camera on your head is giving the game perfect head tracking & a better view of your hands when you are reaching out so they can be used in the game, & add Pseudo 3D to the mix using the head tracking & you will have a pretty good recipe for console VR.

But turning while watching a different direction is plain odd (and doesn't work with small spectacle. I can only accommodate a small degree of head rotation before I'm looking beyond the glasses and am unable to see. A head mounted camera would effectively be locked to pointing at the TV space. Dual simulated arms tracking skeleton or controllers makes a lot more sense to me. They'll be properly composited and you can use controls for movement and stuff.

But turning while watching a different direction is plain odd (and doesn't work with small spectacle. I can only accommodate a small degree of head rotation before I'm looking beyond the glasses and am unable to see. A head mounted camera would effectively be locked to pointing at the TV space. Dual simulated arms tracking skeleton or controllers makes a lot more sense to me. They'll be properly composited and you can use controls for movement and stuff.

Your Head move but your eyes stay on the TV the PlayStation Eye has a pretty wide field of view so you don't have to make big movements to look around & you still have your controller for making full turns & walking around this is simply tracking your head movements close to 1:1 & also tracking your hands from your point of view so when you reach into the game the game is getting the same view of your hands that you're seeing in the real world besides the fact that you can move your eyes Interdependent from your head.

Most of the AR games I have seen look fake or cartoonish. I doubt they will be effective in telling a horror story.

Demon's Souls player invasion scared me more than any other horror movies combined. Sometimes, it's the idea or situation that's frightening. We don't always need the presentation.

And no, I don't want to wear a Playstation Eye (+ cable) on my head. -_-

Clicky dpad, good. PSEye on top of my head, bad.

Not true. I actually tried this with the PlayStation Eye on top of my head & looking at the TV while moving my head around you can pretty much get over 70% of your room into view without taking your eyes off the TV & reaching out & touching stuff while looking at it on the TV is completely natural.

It would work perfectly with AR & will also be good for VR if the Dual Camera on top of your TV is tracking your body in 3D & the camera on your head is giving the game perfect head tracking & a better view of your hands when you are reaching out so they can be used in the game, & add Pseudo 3D to the mix using the head tracking & you will have a pretty good recipe for console VR.

Quite possibly the worst idea they could go with. In my mind it's VR or bust, and there's absolutely no reason to have a forward facing camera on your head for VR. Maybe VR shows up as the mid-gen peripheral the way Kinect and Move did this time around. AR seems like a waste, to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back