PlayStation 4 (codename Orbis) technical hardware investigation (news and rumours)

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Love_In_Rio, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onQ

onQ
    Veteran

Yes I know it was crazy but it was the easiest way I could think of to simulate this [​IMG].

2. patsu

Legend

Ah I see. When I first saw HMZ-T1, I thought of adding a camera to the unit too. I think it will open up new application areas (e.g., Augmented capability). Its AR applications may be beyond gaming, and outside the living room.

3. Nevod

Newcomer

All capacitative touch panels work the same, it's possible to use a notebook touchpad that way (if the drivers allow, but again, it's software), actually, it's just that the driver has to emulate the mouse and thus convert absolute position into relative position. Direct touch wouldn't be convenient on a small feedbackless panel though - drawing tablets are much bigger and some even have screens. With a small touchpad in direct-touch mode it would be hard to hit the exact place, with mouse emulation mode you have continious visual feedback.

DS4 could use both modes with ability to select. I'd really like to see a FPS with coarse and quick control from touchpad and precise aim from gyro.

4. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

Jon Stokes (formerly of Ars Technica) is talking of doing a deep dive for Orbis as a 1.99 kindle single. Would be an interesting addition to this discussion.

5. DopeyFish

Newcomer

VGLeaks has been 100% correct so far... besides 8 GB of ram

considering how he said it... it seemed like it was last second

6. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

7. inefficient

Veteran

8. Billy Idol

Legend Veteran

9. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

He also said the following which I thought was pretty interesting:

all apps are better with half the cores at twice the performance, the question gets more nuanced if the trade is at 1.5x perf

10. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

Piledriver vs jaguar?

11. scently

Regular

What does that mean?

EDIT: Oh, he seems to be talking about the cpu.

12. Gipsel

Veteran

I always said that BD/PD/SR derived cores are very unlikely to be able to clock twice as high when constrained to the same low power budget as the 8 Jaguar cores got. Each additional Watt for the CPU is missing on the GPU side. It makes a lot of sense to restrict the CPU power budget to 20-25W or something. And how high does one get four PD cores within that on TSMC's 28nm process (which also means one has to put in a tremendous effort to port PD from GF's 32nm SOI to it in the first place)? And the other way around, the SOI processes of GF appear to be not a perfect fit for the GPU part. Taking future shrinks and possible changes of the foundry into consideration, it was simply the better solution to put in twice the number of Jaguar cores instead of expensively porting PD cores and strangling them to low frequencies with the power budget afterwards.

13. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Why would they port PD to 28nm rather than just using SR which will already be 28nm and available commercially in the launch timeframe of the new consoles?

I do agree with you're point though. PD/SR simply aren't designed to be very low power so I'm not sure you could get them within 25w at any reasonable clock speed.

I'd also be curious what Carmack is defining as a core there. In Intels case it's obvious, in AMD's not so much.

14. almighty

Banned

Has anyone else seen the comparison shots of UE4 running on PS4 and PC?

They stripped a heck of a lot of the demo to get it run on PS4.... A lot more then even I thought...

15. SedentaryJourney

Regular

At this point in the game that isn't too concerning. They probably didn't have much time to put something together and the state of the tools is probably not complete if most developers weren't even sure how much RAM the final console was going to have.

16. Love_In_Rio

Veteran

This.They have beta kits, with representative almost final silicom from January, and developers said they are more powerful than the prior ones, so the enhanced gpu,uma, and apu latencies will star to shine from now.And libgcm!.

17. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Twitter responses from epic people seem to sugest that they only just found out about the 8 gigs of ram. So my thought is the demos were made around a 4 gig ram budget

18. patsu

Legend

For Orbis' initial UE4 performance, I wouldn't use Epic's demo to judge it. A better candidate is probably Knack. I suspect like the Uncharted 1 days, they are building custom tools as they make the game. Then, those tools and frameworks will be shared around.

19. patsu

Legend

What exactly is libGCM ?

20. Accord1999

Newcomer

I interpret it as that that he would rather have 4 Jaguar cores at 3.2 GHz rather than 8 cores at 1.6 GHz. And even if the 4 core Jaguar is only at 2.4 GHz, it may still beat the 8 core in the majority of use cases.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.