Anyone still think Wii U will "win" "next gen"?

Will Wii U be the best selling console over MS and Sony's offerings?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Club Nintendo was hacked in June and July.

Seriously, it took them over 15 million failed attempts to realize they had an ongoing hack attack?

errr whats that go to do with being "hacked"? , looks like brute force user account logon attempts. If i counted for my home ftp or SSL VPN im sure i would be in the 100,000 range of "failed attempts". Yet i haven't realized that i've been hacked either.

any one with public facing authentication go ask your security team for the authentication audit logs...................

It was hacked as in brute-forced hack. A hack is still a hack. Now how exactly did they manage to get a list of user-ids to attempt to login as? Perhaps that's where the more interesting portion of this attack would be at.

Anyways, where I worked at the response time to attacks is well under 15 minutes. Within the start of an ongoing brute force attack they'd have shut those attacks down by then. How a major company such as Nintendo could not notice anything at all until 1 month and 15 million failed attempts later is utterly pathetic.

Hell, some of the other forums I help run have adaptive network/intrusion/attack detections that would have triggered easily within an hour. And those are sites that would have no personal data other than aliases and email addresses available. They also have no financial income generated from it so there really is no incentive to spend money on keeping up with security. They're run out of interest or entertainment for hobbies.

This just goes to show you how far out of touch with online infrastructure Nintendo truly is. Either their security is non-existent or they're too damn cheap to implement proper mechanisms.

So, all signs seem to indicate that the Wii U will die an ignominous death at the hands of the XB1 and PS4.

The only question remaining is whether it can do better than the GameCube.

It was hacked as in brute-forced hack. A hack is still a hack.
No it isn't. the system is working exactly as intended.

Now how exactly did they manage to get a list of user-ids to attempt to login as? Perhaps that's where the more interesting portion of this attack would be at.
unlikely, if i was a betting man i would assume the standard, scraping of webpages, social engineering etc. If they had a full list of user accounts and hashes they would have broken ~70% in the first 24 hours, much like linked in and alike.

Anyways, where I worked at the response time to attacks is well under 15 minutes. Within the start of an ongoing brute force attack they'd have shut those attacks down by then. How a major company such as Nintendo could not notice anything at all until 1 month and 15 million failed attempts later is utterly pathetic.

thats 5 failed attempts per second over a month. That is nothing. Your systems wouldn't even detect it ( on the assumption of even a mild level of distribution) and if it did it would be ignored as your brute force/ DOS systems would be alerting every second. Every single Layer 7 web application firewall i have deployed when it comes to authentication attempt monitoring measure in the 100's to 1000's of attempts per second for several seconds. Not 5. there is a very simple reason for this, its call NAT, when 65,535 machines can (and do)come from one ip address you want to be sure its an attack before you just cut off 65k worth of customers.

Hell, some of the other forums I help run have adaptive network/intrusion/attack detections that would have triggered easily within an hour. And those are sites that would have no personal data other than aliases and email addresses available. They also have no financial income generated from it so there really is no incentive to spend money on keeping up with security. They're run out of interest or entertainment for hobbies.
This is all so vague that anyone could make anything up to suite there position, the article has zero detail.

This just goes to show you how far out of touch with online infrastructure Nintendo truly is. Either their security is non-existent or they're too damn cheap to implement proper mechanisms.

I think it only shows your bias to assume such things.

Club Nintendo was hacked in June and July.

Seriously, it took them over 15 million failed attempts to realize they had an ongoing hack attack?

It's not the failed attempts you should worry about. Under that level of brute forcing I would be more concerned with what else it might be covering...

But seriously, how hard is it to just install SNORT and fail2ban? I monitor thousands of different intrusion attempts daily, from brute forcers to mitm attacks, it's not that hard to do. I even set myself up a couple of honeypots to capture stuff. I have quite a collection now. Maybe I should hire myself out to the big n... :rolleyes::LOL:

thats 5 failed attempts per second over a month. That is nothing.
Have they said the hack was spread out over an entire month, or that they noticed they were hacked after a month? It could be that the hack took place over a much shorter timespan.

In any case, nintendo's behind the curve on online, until they prove otherwise I think we should assume that they did not do as much as they could have to prevent this.

wii u software sales in uk (i had to put this somewhere, love me some sales #'s)

uk-software-unit-1H-2013.png

So yeah, pretty bad. Below Vita!

And about 4% of X360's units for June...

24k for a major country in a month is kind of unbelievable.

wii u software sales in uk (i had to put this somewhere, love me some sales #'s)

uk-software-unit-1H-2013.png

So yeah, pretty bad. Below Vita!

And about 4% of X360's units for June...

24k for a major country in a month is kind of unbelievable.

It's actually even worse than that. Notice that it says "Retail only" and Jack Tretton at E3 said that 60% of all Vita game purchases are digital downloads. I doubt the Wii U approaches anywhere near that percentage.

It's actually even worse than that. Notice that it says "Retail only" and Jack Tretton at E3 said that 60% of all Vita game purchases are digital downloads. I doubt the Wii U approaches anywhere near that percentage.

I think you wanted to say that they are meaningless because we don't know where those numbers come from and know for sure they aren't taking all sales into account...
(Best numbers could be from a big reseller, stating how they were gathered, or the publisher itself.)

I think you wanted to say that they are meaningless because we don't know where those numbers come from and know for sure they aren't taking all sales into account...
(Best numbers could be from a big reseller, stating how they were gathered, or the publisher itself.)

"retail only" makes it pretty clear digital games aren't counted.

PC was up to or above 75% so who knows they are on top at the moment ;)

I think I'm not too far off with my "Nintendo needs to EOL that asap" line:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-selling-wii-u-consoles-games-in-supermarkets

FWIW, there are some comments saying that supermarket doesn't sell the 3DS either, which is the UK's current market leader.
This could be just some dumb disagreements happening between Asda and Nintendo.
The fact that they were one of the first to slash the price of Wii U quite below Nintendo's MSRP probably didn't do wonders for the relations with the console maker.

Not that I don't share your opinion about killing the Wii U asap and launching a competitive console within 2 years with whatever money they have left.

i keep waiting for Wii U game that harness the power of Wii Remote+.
It was a nice experience playing NMH using "very unprecise" Wii remote.
it was fun flinging arm on Wii Sports.
it was fun shooting things using Wii remote cursor.

After reading the 20 odd pages of this post ......I think we all know that's its very unlikely that the wii u will sell more than its rivals .

In my opinion the question should be will it sell enough to keep Nintendo in the black .

I hope so I for one would not like to see Nintendo bleed money ......if this was to happen we could lose a great company if not the greatest company gaming has ever known .
I for one hope they make the money they need to invest in great games by that I mean enough to produce the highest quality games possible .
I'd hate to see Nintendo go the way of Sega a once great software company that is now a pale shadow of what they once where .

Why do everyone think that because you have a lot of tools in your toolbox you must use every single one of them each time you do any work ?

The console comes with many features, but you don't have to use them all, although, yes, you should consider every single of them before arbitrarily deciding to switch your brain off and do "like we always do"...

After reading the 20 odd pages of this post ......I think we all know that's its very unlikely that the wii u will sell more than its rivals .

In my opinion the question should be will it sell enough to keep Nintendo in the black .

I hope so I for one would not like to see Nintendo bleed money ......if this was to happen we could lose a great company if not the greatest company gaming has ever known .
I for one hope they make the money they need to invest in great games by that I mean enough to produce the highest quality games possible .
I'd hate to see Nintendo go the way of Sega a once great software company that is now a pale shadow of what they once where .

While I also would like to see Nintendo investing on games of the highest quality possible, I don't think money is the issue. Nintendo made way more money than Sony's play station division during wii times, and yet the game catalogue for wii was laughable in my opinion. Mario galaxy, Metroid Prime 3 and Other M, DK and what the fuck else? Even Skyward sword, although not a bad game, was extremelly un-ambitious, specially for a franchise of Zelda's caliber. While sony not only invested on their Uncharted's, Resistances, and Killzones but found time to put money into stuff like Flower, Heavy Rain, LBP, journey... I see sony as the new snes-n64 era nintendo, in terms of influence over the industry as a leading force on the publishing and developing of new avant-garde games in the mainstream market.
I wish nintendo still made great games, but I don't realy see that happening with or without money.

While I also would like to see Nintendo investing on games of the highest quality possible, I don't think money is the issue. Nintendo made way more money than Sony's play station division during wii times, and yet the game catalogue for wii was laughable in my opinion. Mario galaxy, Metroid Prime 3 and Other M, DK and what the fuck else? Even Skyward sword, although not a bad game, was extremelly un-ambitious, specially for a franchise of Zelda's caliber. While sony not only invested on their Uncharted's, Resistances, and Killzones but found time to put money into stuff like Flower, Heavy Rain, LBP, journey... I see sony as the new snes-n64 era nintendo, in terms of influence over the industry as a leading force on the publishing and developing of new avant-garde games in the mainstream market.
I wish nintendo still made great games, but I don't realy see that happening with or without money.

I can remember Nintendo GAME & WATCH systems .....the Nintendo entertainment system as well ........I'm old very old and Nintendo may have lost some of what it once had but just based on its past glories it would be a loss to this hobby I love if they where to go the way of Sega .

Sega once innovated with cutting edge arcade tech while nintendo made great fun simple yet skill full games .
History will remember Sega and Nintendo ......Sony built on there legacy .....Microsoft is building on the same legacy ...i'd just prefer Nintendo to not fall as far as the once mighty Sega have .

I still play old Sega games on my old megadrive and Sega Saturn .....though these games are not as advanced as today's games they have a charm to them like so many Nintendo game have in my opinion .

Back