The Collectivizer -the ultimate online directory

3D_world

Newcomer
I've just got an idea for another project - far more realistic then my last though, about The World Simulation Project. That one would take 10 years to fully realize - this one, only a week. The Collectivizer. A free online database program, that allows users to enter all their personal information, weight, skin color, eye-color, traits, education level, name/address, etc, or as much as they want, and that stores that information in a central repository for anyone to use.

What's the use of this? This is practically useless you say. Not true. There are infinitely many good possibilities for such a program. You can search your city for people - or just collect demographics about it. How many red-heads living in this city for instance? Oh this many - where do they live? Here. How many people live in Berlin, Germany? Etc. Voluntary contribution. Any suggestions? I'm planning on starting work on this soon, and can have it up and running within a week.

To Snyder - I think it has pizzaz too.

To Davros - The ideal plan would be to use java. But it seems that PHP is better, as yahoo's web-hosting doesn't support java. Yahoo would give me the most bandwidth and disc space - 5 TB/month and 500 GB, for only $10.00. In fact - most popular web-hosting services don't support java.

To rpg.314 - Facebook doesn't provide me with the necessary bandwidth and disc space.

Okay I'm commencing work on The Collectivizer now. Explaining the name - it turns the societies into collectives. Here's the data on it so far:

1. Username_password_email registration is required to submit names and data. The information will not be verified, so the person can input as much information about people that they know that they want. Only the person who posted the original information can delete it.
  2. A section of the site where each user can see the data they've submitted.
  3. Since the information will not be verified, requests to delete information will not be granted.
  4. A count at the front page will tell you how much information of people has been voluntarily submitted to collectivizer.com.
  5. A search feature, to search for all information inputted.
  6. A feedback system like ebay, to give people who post a lot of information good or bad standings.
  7. Demographics information for each country should be provided by the site
  8. Voluntary fund transference to collectivizer.com, for maintenance costs. The total fund contribution will be posted on that part of the sites as well - "Total Money collected"
  9. Translation to all the languages of the world. Should be done with google translate.
  10. The following data fields, all voluntary:

• First name/username/nickname
  • Middle Name
  • Last Name
  • street address
  • city
  • province
  • state
  • country
  • email address
  • other aliases/names for this one (with links if applicable)
  • eye color
  • hair color
  • skin color
  • race/ethnicity
  • height
  • weight
  • job/occupation
  • schools attended, followed by school addresses, and links to the school (if applicable)
  • Interests/hobbies
  • Other traits/information
At first the site should run on any web-hosting site, like yahoo, but after a few weeks, it will require a dedicated server. I'm going to need a lot of playtesters. People to input random information to test for the inevitable ton of errors on the site. I'm also going to need a lot of database managers - people to search the database for obviously bogus entries and delete them.

Security will be a big problem. Luckily yahoo hosting has tons of built-in security against hacker attacks. However later on, with the dedicated server, that could be a problem. Yahoo should start making that an option - buying dedicated servers.

Back