I'm planning on creating the largest computer program ever devised

The simulation argument has nothing to do with games, it postulates that the whole universe is a simulation running on a massive computing system and that we (and everything else) are merely programs. It argues that the constant expansion of computing capacity combined with the amount of time/matter in the universe makes it more likely that we're historical simulations run by superbeings than happening to be really alive at the time of the emergence of our technological civilisation. It's a bit sophilistic, but it's more of a thought experiment, as everyone pretty much agrees that you still have to treat a simulation of such depth as if it's the real thing anyway. If it looks and feels real, you treat it as if it is.

Of course the simulators are themselves in a simulation, and the simulator race above them have in turn been simulated from the beginning, etc.
It's simulations all the way down.

To Arwin and Chalnoth - It's more like The Sims 3 for the entire planet, and with no loading time and all areas explorable. Yes - it will take a long time to finish. 10 years or so. Maybe 5 if people get very interested.

To Otto Dafe - There's no middleware solution for the type of 3D program I'm intending to create. I've got to write the base engine's code myself. Pretty simple actually - but adding the complex graphics is the hard part. But not with OpenGL and DirectX - although those give bad performance. But possibly not with my base 3D program.

As for Maya 3D - that's essential. I'll have to try my best to get people to use it. Blender - if they want to, they can use it. I can't, and probably wouldn't if I could anyway, make Maya 3D mandatory. But I highly recommend it. Luckily, most professional 3D artists have it already in their collection. Possibly we can raise funds and buy a few copies for general use too.

Another possibility is 3D Studio Max. Or AutoCad software.

Or CATIA?

I don't think a single person on the board actually take you seriously, because your proposal is so obviously propostrous. It stands to reason you might be aware yourself of the unrealistic nature of your "project", and that you are posting anyway simply to...errr...try to make waves, or in other words, troll. Your suggestion that $10k software is your preferred development choice and might be acquired for nothing is a pretty dead giveaway for example.

Of course the actual business model for this kind of software is to get pirated by students and hobbyists, so that when they're "grown up" they buy or are forced to buy it.

the one where they create a computer to
1. improve itself
2. solve the problem of entropy running down the universe

the universe decays (aka big crunch) but the computer anticipating this is safe in another dimension
after some period of time the computer figures out the solution and begins to recreate the universe.
It runs the first line of the program
"Let there be light"

We're talking my building a 3D engine. Seems very simple to me.

1. Input the mathematical transformation equations into the software.

We're talking my building a 3D engine. Seems very simple to me.

1. Input the mathematical transformation equations into the software.
rendering is simple, handling the data is the problem. Also you should start with e=m*c^2, you`ll get sub-atomic physics for free, aslong your building blocks are fine enough

you`ll get sub-atomic physics for free, aslong your building blocks are fine enough
...Of course, building a computer the size of the universe to simulate a universe at sub-atomic level might create somewhat of a problem. :)

rendering is simple, handling the data is the problem.
Indeed.

Here's a little exercise you can try, 3D_world. I think that today, perhaps the largest, most detailed world put into a game may be in GTA4. Maybe there are some other games that have done better, but at least GTA4 will be reasonably-close to it. If you have access to this game, 3D_world, then give it a play and note how much of the environments appears to be made of carbon copies of other parts of the environment. And then look at the size of the art assets. And then compare this game world to an actual city.

What you should find, very quickly, is that computers today cannot handle even reasonably-detailed rendering of a single city, let alone thousands of them. The job you are asking to be done would require petabytes of data at a minimum.

Also, my point about Google Earth earlier was not a joke: Google actually is trying to produce a full 3D representation of the entire Earth. And Google's data infrastructure is absolutely tremendous. And yet, if you look at Google Earth, you'll find that their data is extremely far from the quality that would be required for any sort of game where you can walk or drive around.

...Of course, building a computer the size of the universe to simulate a universe at sub-atomic level might create somewhat of a problem. :)
Nonsense. As I've no doubt said before, I have one in my shed. It's right next to perpetual motion machine and the recursive compression algorithm.

Start small, one city at a time, see how far you get. If still too large, try a district. Still no good how about a street?

;)

It's right next to perpetual motion machine and the recursive compression algorithm.

And in front of the time dilation machine, you know the one you sit in while writing your PMX590 article.
Ladies and gentlemen i thank you...................

Back