Monitors that'll work for my xbox and pc.

heartxfail

Newcomer
I purchased a new xbox recently(black)
Here's what's important
0.jpg

It has two slots, one that says A/V and a HDMI slot.

The monitor I'm using currently is this one,I'll post the specs
http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS23A300BS/ZA-specs

So it doesn't have a HDMI slot, the only slots available are DVI in(free of any connections), RGB in(the one my PC's plugged in currently).

What I need to know is,
1.Do I have to buy a new monitor with HDMI so that I can use it for both my PC and my XBOX?
2.Is there is some form of converter cable available(so that I can continue using my current monitor) ? If so will it have any adverse effects on the perfomance?
3.If there isn't a way out and I do have to buy a new monitor which can work both ways which one do you recommend(1000-1200$)?

*always weary of possible spam bots but here goes nothing*

You can simply buy a HDMI-DVI converter.

You're using a 23" monitor and you want one recommended in the $1000-1200 price range? :???:

Well in that case does anybody have any idea where I can get one of the hdmi to dvi-d, quality ones?
Oh and yeah my budget kinda shot up.

You don't need a "quality" converter; they're all the same. DVI/HDMI uses digital signals, they're not affected by the same cable transmission quirks as old analog VGA. Just get A converter; they don't have to be expensive at all. Look around a bit and you'll find something suitable for sure.

However, I'd rather recommend a cable with a DVI plug in one end and a HMDI plug in the other (males, obviously). It's easier and less fiddly than managing separate dongle plugs. If you go the dongle plug route anyway, I'd suggest a dongle that plugs into the DVI side of the connection, as those can be secured with screws. DVI cables can be quite heavy and unwieldy, and having a dongle sticking out of the HDMI connector on the back of your 360 would put quite a bit of leverage on that connector, leading to an unneccessarily high mechanical load, which it might not be designed for. Especially if you need to move the system and forget to unplug the cable first, and it hooks onto something else...

Isn't that a Displayport there? I'd go with that, at least because of the superior connectors.

btw if you want to directly output the audio from the xbox 360, you can use the AV cable you found on Xbox box.

with connected to DVI monitor and the RED/White AV cable plugged to speaker/AV receiver, xbox will show new audio option on the dashboard.

@OP

I went from a Dell 24" LCD monitor to a Samsung 32" 1080p LED/LCD TV about a year ago. Obviously this lets you hook up anything. At the time it was about half the price of a 30" monitor, but of course the pixel density is kinda low for desktop stuff. It doesn't really bother me though and I absolutely love it for gaming - it has astonishingly deep black that I think rivals my Samsung plasma TV, and has great color. It kicks the snot out of the Dell 2405FPW that I use as secondary now.

Higher-end TVs use *VA panels I have been told, which feature higher contrast ratios than both IPS and TN. Also, TVs usually have high-gloss surface treatment too, both of which might help explain your deep blacks. Also, some Samsung TVs use local dimming LEDs I believe. Which model did you buy?

swaaye said:
@OP

I went from a Dell 24" LCD monitor to a Samsung 32" 1080p LED/LCD TV about a year ago. Obviously this lets you hook up anything. At the time it was about half the price of a 30" monitor, but of course the pixel density is kinda low for desktop stuff. It doesn't really bother me though and I absolutely love it for gaming - it has astonishingly deep black that I think rivals my Samsung plasma TV, and has great color. It kicks the snot out of the Dell 2405FPW that I use as secondary now.

Yeah a friend of mine bought that TV as TV and for PS3 and it looks fantastic. 1080p stuff (kids watched Cars Bluray on it) is mindblowing. And price was like 400 euro.

Back