Watch_Dogs by Ubisoft

Didn't anyone notice the huge performance hit when the fancier settings were enabled on that PC demo? Several of the scenes became unplayable on whatever hardware they were using. Seems they definitely have some fancy options that will need beastly hardware.

The wind simulation is interesting. What is the point of that?

I think it looks impressive. I dig these open world simulation games. Take my money.

Didn't anyone notice the huge performance hit when the fancier settings were enabled on that PC demo? Several of the scenes became unplayable on whatever hardware they were using. Seems they definitely have some fancy options that will need better hardware.
Are you talking about the low framerates when scenes are repeated and ZEITLUPE ("slow motion" in German) appears on the screen?

I didn't notice any gigantic framerate spikes.

They kinda had too. It's Chicago, the Windy City!

I hope simulation is really cheap..I see no point to do complex work for feature that can be faked...and really is just a "filler effect". Just like overly tessalated water.

Looks like a crossgen game in HD alright, mediocre environment, textures, polycount, lighting, particles, not even water tessellation can save it from such blandness. Sigh, gonna see a DF faceoff first and foremost.

:love: Ubi is the best.

Now they are actively messing with the people, stirring up fans who screamed that PC/PS4 version is downgraded, that nothing will ever look great, that PS4 will have missing effects, etc. :LOL: They are perfectly creating highly engaging metageme out of this "downgraded" public sentiment.

BTW, PS4 version looks great.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Watch...lusives-Technik-Video-zur-PC-Version-1115771/

So this PC trailer was actually PS4 SDK footage?

I actually stated a page back, that the PC footage (now PS4 footage) was quite nice looking.

I must admit that I'm shocked at the improvements. :oops:

Edit: I noticed in my link they removed the video. lol

Important notice: If you're looking for PC footage of Watch Dogs, we had to remove the video due to a complain by Ubisoft. As for now we are red-editing the video and make a correct labelling which is "PS4 devit footage". Not PC. But that was not our fault because we had the information that the footage actually IS PC. As soon as the new video is approved by Ubisoft we're reposting the video under the original URL.

like farcry3 and other games, there isn't going to be a huge difference between the PC and console editions.
Far Cry 3 on PC looked miles better than consoles, better LOD, shadows, reflections, water and textures.

Looks like a crossgen game in HD alright, mediocre environment, textures, polycount, lighting, particles, not even water tessellation can save it from such blandness.
Exactly.

Are you talking about the low framerates when scenes are repeated and ZEITLUPE ("slow motion" in German) appears on the screen?

I didn't notice any gigantic framerate spikes.
I suppose I should have translated the german. ;)

I hope simulation is really cheap..I see no point to do complex work for feature that can be faked...and really is just a "filler effect". Just like overly tessalated water.
Yeah I'm not sure about the value of wind simulation. I wonder if it plays any part in the gameplay. Like be careful flying your chopper downtown because of strange wind currents? Sail boat simulation? lol. I don't suppose it will affect water surfaces.

Anyone who has visited Chicago, as often as I have, would let you know, that the downtown area, especially around the buildings and Lake Michigan, can get gusty (I mean, put you on your ass gusty). As for the water channels running through Chicago's downtown area, they're effected as well. Some days, certain channels (boating) are shutdown do to major wind gust.

Low winds tend to get amplified in and around the downtown area. One of the many reasons why Chicago, is nicknamed the Windy City (I guess more in the literal sense that UBI is shooting for - with this wind simulation).

Edit: Looking at the plants in this gif, effected by the wind, looks quite good, damn good.

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/092/b/f/untitled_385_by_dennisk4-d7cq5at.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Just caught the new 'PC graphics demo' video (note 177mb video - captions in German), later revealed to be from a PS4 devkit.

Very nice.

Anyone who has visited Chicago, as often as I have, would let you know, that the downtown area, especially around the buildings and Lake Michigan, can get gusty (I mean, put you on your ass gusty). As for the water channels running through Chicago's downtown area, they're effected as well. Some days, certain channels (boating) are shutdown do to major wind gust.
Yeah it looks like the only wind effect is movement of flora.

The water is not affected by wind in that video. Boats aren't making wake either for that matter. Not that this is surprising though since simulating water as a fluid is extremely computationally intensive. There's a game called Hydrophobia that makes a limited attempt though!

Yeah it looks like the only wind effect is movement of flora. The water is not affected by wind in that video. Boats aren't making wake either for that matter.

Debris (trash) is too. You can see this in most of the videos but specifically at 1:06 into the Welcome to Chicago trailer. The video I linked too above has a segment that shows how they simulate wind.

I guess that's essentially a confirmation of 1080p on PS4 then. Definitely looks better than recent videos.

Back