Watch_Dogs by Ubisoft

Far Cry 3 on PC looked miles better than consoles, better LOD, shadows, reflections, water and textures.

that came out completely wrong. what i meant to say was "like previous games such as farcry 3, the end product is going to be significantly downgraded on all platforms to fit the lowest end"

Your not going to be seeing the 2012 level footage on the PC version, and i'm unfortunately not going to be see the 2013 footage on PS4. I don't really know for sure the reason ubi has such issues with this, but i can be sure that it has something to do with standardizing for all platforms

Minimum:
OS: Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7 (SP1) or Windows 8 (Please note that we only support 64 bit OSs.)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66Ghz or AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.0Ghz
Memory: 6 GB RAM
Graphics: DirectX 11 graphics card with 1 GB Video RAM - Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 or AMD Radeon HD 5770
DirectX: Version 11
Hard Drive: 25 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Sound Card with Latest Drivers
Additional Notes: Broadband connection and service required for multiplayer mode. Supported Video Cards at Time of Release: nVidia GeForce GTX460 or better, GT500, GT600, GT700 series; AMD Radeon HD5850 or better, HD6000, HD7000, R7 and R9 series Intel® Iris™ Pro HD 5200

Recommended:
OS: Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7 (SP1) or Windows 8 (Please note that we only support 64 bit OSs.)
Processor: Eight core - Intel Core i7-3770 @3.5 GHz or AMD FX-8350 X8 @ 4 GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: DirectX 11 graphics card with 2 GB Video RAM - Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 ti or AMD Radeon HD 7850
DirectX: Version 11
Hard Drive: 25 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Sound Card with Latest Drivers
Additional Notes: Broadband connection and service required for multiplayer mode. Supported Video Cards at Time of Release: nVidia GeForce GTX460 or better, GT500, GT600, GT700 series; AMD Radeon HD5850 or better, HD6000, HD7000, R7 and R9 series Intel® Iris™ Pro HD 5200
http://store.steampowered.com/app/243470/

This is still relatively tame IMO. I expect that sysreq will become even more demanding [especially minimum configuration] with arrival of true nextgen multiplaform games, those that dont have oldgen ports [Arkham Knight, Division, AC Unity, Witcher 3...].

It will be interesting to see how it runs on an 8 core 1.6 GHz Jaguar. Seems similar to what they suggest as the minimum on PC.

Still only needs 2gb of vram? Kinda surprising, I thought this game was built for the new consoles.

It was also built to run on PS3, which has less than 256MB of VRAM available to the devs.

Watch Dogs does not need to be viewed as "first nextgen game" that will land on PC. Wait for Division, Arkham Knight and AC: Unity.

Still only needs 2gb of vram? Kinda surprising, I thought this game was built for the new consoles.

The3rd party gamea designed for PS4/One/PC games will arrive later The Division, The Witcher 3, Assassin's Creed Unity... No PS3/360 version for the first two gamea, next AC games will be different on PS3/360 and some by another team...

Edit: same thing for Batman

It was also built to run on PS3, which has less than 256MB of VRAM available to the devs.

Watch Dogs does not need to be viewed as "first nextgen game" that will land on PC. Wait for Division, Arkham Knight and AC: Unity.

I'm not sure that's the reason in this case. The minimum requirements are far, FAR higher than would be reasonable for the PS360 game suggesting that when this game scales back, it's a scaled back version of the PS4/XB1 and not a simple copy of the previous gen version. It seems unlikely that the PC can get as low as the last gen versions.

I suspect the low VRAM requirement is simply down to the game having a good streaming system. Note the main RAM requirement is still pretty high.

As for the recommended CPU, yeah that is totally insane. You're talking around 3x the CPU performance of the new consoles paired up with roughly equal (to the consoles) GPU performance. Why such a huge mismatch? Could this be a draw call issue? Are we running into that issue already? A Mantle path in this game could be VERY interesting.

As for the recommended CPU, yeah that is totally insane. You're talking around 3x the CPU performance of the new consoles paired up with roughly equal (to the consoles) GPU performance. Why such a huge mismatch? Could this be a draw call issue? Are we running into that issue already? A Mantle path in this game could be VERY interesting.

Yeah PC DX11 vs console API is the biggest problem I think. New consoles are much more ambitious with drawcalls.

Sadly, Ubisoft is in Nvidia camp so they will not adopt Mantle easily. :-/

Great article about why they delayed the game, how complex it is, how they are striving to create open world game that is very reactive to user's play style.
This was what interests me in Watch_Dogs. I'm chasing that elusive open world game where where you are not surrounded by simplistic AI NPCs.

But it's not just about the game being adaptive and reactive to the player, but also to other NPCs and this is where many games fail. Ideally NPCs should react to other NPCs how they would react to you. And to stimulate such reaction the game needs to have naturally populating antagonists and protagonists among the NPCs. Then you can influence the general NPC populace not only be interacting with them directly, but also indirectly through these other antagonists/protagonists.

I.e, imagine in Watch_Dogs if you could track, hunt down and kill all the cops. The city would descend into anarchy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watch_Doge? :LOL:

Z8FJ3Km.png

Great article about why they delayed the game, how complex it is, how they are striving to create open world game that is very reactive to user's play style.

http://www.edge-online.com/features...n-systemic-game-design-and-player-expression/

I think I will wait for reviews on this one. This could fall flat too, be all talk and no show. Hope it turns out super fun, Infamous won't last forever, even though it glitched my save smehow and sent me back to when I had only two powers :rolleyes: !

I think I will wait for reviews on this one. This could fall flat too, be all talk and no show. Hope it turns out super fun, Infamous won't last forever, even though it glitched my save smehow and sent me back to when I had only two powers :rolleyes: !
All of the early March preview impressions that I've read, where media was let lose to do whatever they liked in the game world, that I've read (IGN - GameInformer - Joystiq - GameSpot) are positive to very positive.

I have high hopes. I pre-ordered it and I typically only do that for slam dunks. Don't let me down Ubi!

Ok, I'm a sucker for open world games and loved ACIV.

In regards to the MP it sounds like they tried to make it like an open world Souls game. Thats the most interesting part of the game to me.

I foresee lots of epic tales of player trolling...

Game looks great. However, I'm still not sure I will play it anytime soon no matter how much "emergent gameplay" it has.

They've shown almost zero about story and main character, and without that I don't have nothing to drive me to play it. Nothing about main character except "my family is dead", nothing concrete about his sidekicks, zero about antagonists.

So far, this is a sub $10 purchase at a future Steam/PS4 sale...

They've shown almost zero about story and main character, and without that I don't have nothing to drive me to play it. Nothing about main character except "my family is dead", nothing concrete about his sidekicks, zero about antagonists.
I like this new minimalist preview/reveal approach that's been more prevalent the last year or so. I want as few spoilers for the game as possible because I want to be be surprised when I play it.

I can't imagine how The Last of Us and Infamous Second Son would have been spoiled if I'd known more about story before I played it.

All that's shown is basic gameplay, which is GTA++ (the ++ being control over the city). That's enough to reel me in :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back