God Of War Ascension PS3

Ahm.....the patch will be free at least?

Yeah, that is true...but still...the sound problems are kind of non-optimal to formulate it nicely. I wouldn't have expected this from SSM to be honest. So I agree with lb.

But as an optimist: I actually do hope that the SSM'A'-team prepares a launch game for ps4 :)

junior team from what I have heard worked on this game. Sort or like Resistance 3.
That explains the superior camera work and choreography in GOW3, I really hope the A team is pouring all their blood and sweat on the PS4 and show us something incredible at E3.

I really enjoy R3 too, except for a few parts and the story being god awful.

I thought R3's story was actually nowhere near as awful as R1's and R2's. The more personal angle worked a lot better for me. It was also a surprisingly grim journey. Unfortunately the whole thing peaked way before its conclusion. That prison stage was just fantastic.

junior team from what I have heard worked on this game. Sort or like Resistance 3.

Santa Monica said: "Even when the director changes, the core of the team remains the same. There’s a number of people who’ve been there for every title".

Well, I've been playing this for a week now and after reading some negative comments in here (I actually skipped most of this thread to avoid any impressions having a negative impact on my expectations) and I guess my feelings are a bit mixed as well...

God of War 3 - for me - is still one of the most thrilling gaming experience I've had in many years. Naturally, expectations were pretty high.

Ascension is not bad. I think I find the story a bit more confusing. Can't say how far I am (I think chapter 13), but it feels to me, GoW3 had a more transparent story line. In that game, I liked that you knew more or less where you're going: build up your weapons and pretty much kill the main bosses (Hades, Hercules etc). I also liked the way the bosses were presented before actually facing them, so there was a nice build-up and as you progressed through the game and the plot, things just got more crazy.

Ascension just feels a bit lost to me. I'm loving the main combat, but the story is pretty lost on me. I've stopped wondering what the f*ck I'm actually doing - besides some weird illusions and some bad bosses/gods that want to kill me along the way. Then again, I've never completed GoW1 or 2 - only GoW3, so perhaps it is more difficult for me to pick up the plot given I've only really played part 3 which was easy to understand.

As for the difficulty - not sure if I think this is more difficult or not. For the record, I completed GoW3 on hard on my first attempt (though to be fair, I played it on medium until the Hades-boss at a friends place before re-starting the game on hard) - and while it was bloddy hard in the later stages of the game, the game experience was so rewarding.

Which bringts me to Ascension. I played it briefly on medium up to chapter 10, then started on hard. Now, hard is hard, the way it is supposed to be, but some moments are rather frustrating.

For example - every time you get a new element for your blades (fire, ice, energy etc), you meet the challenge of fighting against hordes of the more basic kind of enemies. Now on hard (even on normal to a certain degree), I find it increasingly difficult to stand the challenge by using the basic Square-Triangle attacks. Once they start hitting me, I get into a cycle where I am constantly being hit by multiple enemies and on hard, it doesn't take too many hits until you are dead. The only way I have successfully come to beat these enemies are by actually jumping into the air and pressing L1 (or is it R1?) to grab/pull/chain the enemies into air to me and repeat this tiresome process until all are dead. It's not a challenge like this, but then, at least, I am able to get through them without losing any life. I've tried actually killing most enemies like this and then battled the last 5 of them conventually, but damn, once they start hitting you, on hard, even then, it's too damn hard.

Am I playing this wrong or does this game just have a way of making it too difficult?

I actually find the boss battles more challenging so far, because there, it's about finding the right strategy to stay alive and beat them. Anyone having similar thoughts?

The game is more challenging. I just don't think it's a particularly entertaining brand of challenge. I blame it mostly onto the fact that the sp was built around a combat system which was really created for the small scale skirmishes in multi-player (where a less forgiving counter move makes a lot more sense for example). Unless you're using magic, Kratos just doesn't have the crowd control potential he used to have, mostly because just about every damn enemy can punch right through your offense.

By the way, has the sound been patched yet? I know they released a patch which made some adjustments to the challenge of Archimedes, but the audio mix was still terrible.

The game is more challenging. I just don't think it's a particularly entertaining brand of challenge. I blame it mostly onto the fact that the sp was built around a combat system which was really created for the small scale skirmishes in multi-player (where a less forgiving counter move makes a lot more sense for example). Unless you're using magic, Kratos just doesn't have the crowd control potential he used to have, mostly because just about every damn enemy can punch right through your offense.

By the way, has the sound been patched yet? I know they released a patch which made some adjustments to the challenge of Archimedes, but the audio mix was still terrible.

Yeah, I think that's exactly what I mean and what makes those elementary-challenges so extremely difficult. They punch right through your offences. What I liked about GoW3 is that the overall battles were more enjoyable because you didn't really have to think and unless you did anything unforgivingly stupid, you could get right through them - and the real challenges awaited you when fighting the more difficult opponents or bosses.

In this game, I feel it's way more survival and even fighting smaller opponents, I have to resort to a much more strategic approach (or cheating with the R1 button) to get through. Also, I might recall this wrong - but in GoW3, I don't seem to remember that many healing-chests. In Ascension, I feel like battle -> green chest -> battle -> green chest. Not that that is necessarely bad, but I think it highlights that the level design is rather different in this game.

Sigfried1977 - about the sound issues? What kind of sound issues were you having?
There have been a few upgrades, but because I only really started playing over Easter, I'm not sure if and what has been solved in that specific area. I do think the sound is overall quiete low (I have to turn up my hifi more than with other games to get the same 'bang'). The surround sound (effect channel) is quite average so far, sadly.

Sigfried1977 - about the sound issues? What kind of sound issues were you having?
There have been a few upgrades, but because I only really started playing over Easter, I'm not sure if and what has been solved in that specific area. I do think the sound is overall quiete low (I have to turn up my hifi more than with other games to get the same 'bang'). The surround sound (effect channel) is quite average so far, sadly.

The mix was just very odd. You still had that huge thumping bass noise whenever you finished a combo with the triangle button, but a lot of other noises were damn near inaudible and the music was generally drowned out entirely. In many instances the appropriate sound simply didn't play at all (like when Kratos kicked in a gate)
There was a Santa Monica tweet which stated they were aware of the issue and a patch was incoming (not the one that adjusted the infamous difficulty spike however), so it probably wasn't just me.

The mix was just very odd. You still had that huge thumping bass noise whenever you finished a combo with the triangle button, but a lot of other noises were damn near inaudible and the music was generally drowned out entirely. In many instances the appropriate sound simply didn't play at all (like when Kratos kicked in a gate)
There was a Santa Monica tweet which stated they were aware of the issue and a patch was incoming (not the one that adjusted the infamous difficulty spike however), so it probably wasn't just me.

I read that the new update fixed the audio issues...finally time for my hard mode playthrough!

Santa Monica said: "Even when the director changes, the core of the team remains the same. There’s a number of people who’ve been there for every title".

guess neogaf must be wrong then! lol. I usually watch all the extras video for all the GOW games, everyone seems to be different from what I remember from the the previous games. I think Stig is working on the new IP.

Finished it last night and now going through the behind the scene videos.
Is it me or does there seem to be more input lag compared to GOW3. Also find it difficult to time the parry and end up eating hits more often than not because it seems to come out late.

The upgraded augments? (amulet, heart, oracle eyes) really help the combat near the end.
Overall, I'd rate the story behind 2 and 3.

I don't remember input lag and never tried to parry.

They really changed the core combat though. In the past games, I seem to remember the core combat with the basic weapon being kept more or less the same. The habits acquired from past games would continue to work ok. They mostly just change the magics and side weapons to have something different every game. I don't necessarily think the new way is intrinsically worse, but I think it throw a lot of people off.

Played through the game first on normal, then a second time on hard. The normal run actually felt more difficult because I went through the whole game playing like I've always done in this series. The 2nd run on hard, I was stuck very early on, and then realized R1 to grab plus triangle to slam into other enemies greatly helps with a crowd. With that trick and heavy use of slow motion and clone gadgets later on, my play-through on hard was certainly less frustrating and more enjoyable.

Story/presentation did leave me a bit confused. Sometimes, I need to really think to remember whether I was playing in a flashback part or not. :LOL:

GOW3 felt better, but I still like Ascension though. At least, it is good enough to make me play (sometimes much) longer sessions than I planned to, even in my more frustrating 1st time play-through. Will watch the extra videos and try a bit more online. :cool:

I need help :(

I'm somewhere in chapter 19 and I'm fighting two yellow bitches that throw lighting bolts after you. I'm on difficulty hard and I just can't seem to find a good way of beating them. I'm too slow in evading their attacks and it being on hard, every hit takes far too much health from me to stand a chance. No magic btw - I used it up in a previous fight so I can't rely on this.

R1 grapple doesn't work on them. The weapon I use (I think it's the large hammer or something) with Circle isn't that effective - and if I do the normal Square-Triangle attacks (I use fire mostly) while jumping or not, I'm also vulnerable to their attacks.

It's a bit annoying, because I've also tried hitting them from afar with single hits, then making a run for it (which is a pretty good strategy for most difficult enemies or bosses), but their lightning bolts usually hit me because they follow me. Even if I successfully evade one, being two of them, I usually get hit by at least one.

How do I get past them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back