Next gen's gonna be the worst gen ever! *spawn

Silenti

Regular
(Mod: Spawned from the tech prediction thread, where rumours abound of a less-than-incredible specification next Xbox)

"KinectCasualBingFlix" - so, what do the rest of us do? That's Nintendo, MS, Apple (or any phones and tablets) going after that "casual" games market. Where does that leave the rest of us? I have walked away from consoles for a time before, I hope they don't force me out again.

"KinectCasualBingFlix" - so, what do the rest of us do?

Play CoD? Or Final Fantasy? Or Halo?

A PC can do Youtube and also do Skyrim. A console being able to KinectCasualBingFlix doesn't mean its processors can't also do Brofists and the John Madden, for example.

I tend to only use the console for exclusives* (Gears, Halo, KZ, God of War etc), so I imagine I'll just do the same.

I'm really more concerned about a future Rock Band and transferring the licenses for my gigantic library of songs.

*Mass Effect started out as exclusive and is a rather unique situation with the continuing game save, so I stuck with it on console. I do have the PC versions, but I've waited until they were less than $10 a piece, so it's a moot point. I'm not replaying the entire game seriously or I'm just hacking around with the cfg for lulz.

Heard awful things about Dead Space 1 on PC, so I stuck with the series on console since it seemed to provide a more consistent experience. I don't hook my gaming pc up to the home theatre either anyway.

I tend to get certain games again on PC if the graphics warrant it and if the price is right (Gears 1, Mass Effect). Otherwise, I get more games on PC as a general rule - Bulletstorm, Fear, Bad Company 2, Dragon Age series, Duke Forever, Bioshock... the list goes on.

Honestly, I don't think it matters too much what the power of next gen ends up being as they will all have moved onto DX11+ class hardware (well, we'll see what the heck Nintendo does with their GPU/API).

Shaders, lighting, shadows, post-processing, tessellation... all that stuff is easily scalable - more shadow/light probe/post-processing samples, higher resolution buffers, higher tess factors...

The only thing that isn't so scalable is the texturing, but typically the games I have cared about have seen better resolution textures on PC anyway, and perhaps that's seeing more storage limitation issues than RAM necessarily (what with streaming and increased interest in virtual texturing).

High capacity storage media will be standard on console, not so much on PC unless Blu-Ray drives really pick up or people's internet bandwidth as a whole suddenly increases 10 fold (not interested in hearing how you have a great internet connection. That's not the point).

That is a terrible thread title with my post at the top! Thanks mods! :p

I began a rather lengthy reply, and have now deleted it. Simply put, what started with the death of strategy games, the rise of the Wii, facebook games, the emphasis placed upon online head-to-head multiplayer and MMO's to the detriment of single player/ local coop, lengthy campaign, strategy and tactics and thought, the isometric view, extensive systems of character design/loot may have reached the breaking point for me. Now it seems that longevity through high end introductory technology and even the used game market are under assault. This feels like nearly the last straw that would destroy the last vestiges of how/ what I like to play. The improvements which are important to me seem to be dying or dead, and IF the recent information about the next Xbox rings true... it seems I have little hope left. Tech wise I don't have to have top of the line graphics for 5 years. I do however want shorter load times, longer draw distance, clearer images with more detail up close and a great deal more variation (for those last 2 read better textures or less use of textures and more geometry followed by less repetitive texturing.) I would take an open world with lesser graphics over the corridor interactive movie that passes for single player these days.

This faux news regarding the next MS console just hit me kinda hard.

(Mod: Spawned from the tech prediction thread, where rumours abound of a less-than-incredible specification next Xbox)

"KinectCasualBingFlix" - so, what do the rest of us do? That's Nintendo, MS, Apple (or any phones and tablets) going after that "casual" games market. Where does that leave the rest of us? I have walked away from consoles for a time before, I hope they don't force me out again.

Err... Sony?

Seems to be about the only choice left. Maybe, Possibly, etc, etc.

Panic ensues. I wonder if I'm just a damned luddite or something!

Hum, this gen was the most terrible gen ever:
* it lasted way to long, people though it was for their sake not because of mistakes from MSony. Now they have crazy expectations for something that will cost them few bucks and last ten years, while burning mommy's retina... Sorry people it's not for your sake, there was specific circumstances, etc.
* Sony hurt (both ED and as a whole) a lot which is not good as competition is good. They are now overall in an obvious position of weakness.
* As in other economic sectors, geniuses I mean CEO, etc. came with amazing ideas and concepts and most of all sustainable ones... So the "AAA only +60$ a game" killed I don't know how many studio, it's still doing... It also consistently hurt the diversity in gaming (hopefully the mobile world somehow saved it).
* The only hope is the realization by higher ops that a lot more people are willing to play (motion sensing or not) than a bunch of teenager fps lovers. They are not to dictate what a modern gaming device should be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought this was generally a pretty good generation. Big budgets made it relatively conservative with a lot of money spent on big projects that didn't innovate much, but online improved a lot, and digital distribution opened up markets for smaller titles at good prices. Motion control made up for a good part of lack of innovation in my book, some great stuff came out of that.

The next generation has good potential to be even better, with having the motion control and App Style distribution and online features in place day one. I think that if Vita has a PS Suite in place that everyone could publish to (or it would at least be trivial) with a public development kit based on Visual Studio (as the PS Suite beta currently is apparently) then together with all the control and input features built in as well as services, that is starting to approach what I expect of next-gen consoles pretty much.

This gen was mixed for me. It lacked to amazement of previous generations, and that's only going to be moreso in future generations. Online gaming has been really hit-and-miss on PS3. I've spent far more time on download titles - it turns out I'm a casual! :mrgreen: But I haven't seen anything on iPad/mobile that entertains in the same way. So maybe I'm not casual and just cheap. I am deliberately avoiding games that are too long though. I would have played Skyrim in the same way I played Morrowind, but I'm not losing those hours.

So in some ways I kinda have to agree that next-gen will be the 'worst ever' for pure console gaming. The console is a dying breed as we see more and more device convergence. It's less about amazing hardware that enabled incredible new experiences, and more about the quality of the games which are too often stuck in a rut or with poor QA. My biggest gripe this gen is the sheer shoddyness of the software, and surely we can only expect bugs to get even worse. If next gen lacks wow and has more bugs, I think it'd have to win the wooden spoon. For it to not win that ignomious award, we'd need something amazing to happen with the software. Hardware doesn't matter too much as long as it's good enough. I'd want priorities to shift back to quality and excellence in execution, and some novel creativity. Whether that's in disc titles or downloads doesn't much matter. TBH a lot of larger games just layer on the overkill IMO, and there are times when less is more.

I thought this gen was the best console gen since Super Nintendo. I pretty much skipped the N64, Playstation, PS2, Xbox because they were all shit.

PS1 gave awesome fun, and PS2 gave awesome games and mind-blowing new experiences. I can't grumble about those generations. The SNES era was all platformers IMO, and pretty dull, but I was gaming on Amiga and that was as good as it gets (regards new experiences superbly executed).

PS1 gave awesome fun, and PS2 gave awesome games and mind-blowing new experiences. I can't grumble about those generations. The SNES era was all platformers IMO, and pretty dull, but I was gaming on Amiga and that was as good as it gets (regards new experiences superbly executed).

I've been there for all of these, and definitely some great stuff on all of these, but there was a lot of painful stuff on the PS1. The early days of 3D don't hold up that well for the most part. If I look back, many of the games I played were versions of games I'd played before, and didn't offer that much new. The PS2 wasn't all that different, but was helped a lot by 3D graphics becoming decent enough - games like Jack & Daxter were 3D, looked pleasing to the eye and had no load-times. I played a tonne of Tekken again though and way more Gran Turismo.

I think for the PS3 gen, the online part of it made it stand out immensely. Online leaderboards are great, as are content sharing a la LBP2, ModNation, SingStar, etc., or being able to buy a new pinball table for $2 for a game that only cost like 7 bucks to begin with, of a quality that would have been a full-price game a generation ago (I was a big fan of the Pro-Pinball series, and have been a fan of many a Pinball game in the past). Shooters, racers and Warhawk type multiplayer really make that genre stand out, and although that started before this gen, people are wearing strange spectacles if it isn't clear how much better online gaming was this generation.

What this generation misses most is something that is new in the style of GTA4 / Open World. An almost completely new type of game. It's been too hard for something like that to break through on consoles because developing for them had become too risky and expensive, although MineCraft is something that's coming close. Motion controls have made up for that in some part, but not for most of the hardcore (myself excluded, because I love it). I know you haven't touched that aspect at all, which to me is almost unfathomable, as they have been a revelation to me.

I know in my heart that for me the Amiga / Atari ST days were the best, and if you look at it from a sheer breath of experience and innovation, that's probably largely well-deserved. But other than that, this era is definitely a high point for me. It's easy to gloss over the many accomplishments of this generation, where small downloadable titles are often better than almost anything from previous generations.

The highs of previous generations stay in the mind in a compressed form, and it's easy to lose track of how much we've gotten this generation, especially taking into account that we're still going to get quite a lot out of it in the next two years.

I also don't expect the console experience to go away. It will just evolve. On the next generation, you'll be able to play most apps. I saw a virtualisation project the other day that runs Android apps on PC very well. That's the kind of thing I'm sure we'll see happen more, as the smaller mobile/innovation stuff will simply run on most devices including those in the living room. We'll see more and more devices, and they'll all be able to do more and more, with overlap. This isn't going to go away.

The real question is what gaming interfaces are going to look like next-gen. If we're going to be in an era with proper voice-recognition, 3D support for HMD and body tracking combined with everything else we can expect, that could end up giving some weird new experiences, and they're not likely to become things you're going to do on your phone. Freedom of input is one of the things that I feel have held console game development back compared to say, the keyboard generations. The freedom of movement that motion controls provide give back some of that freedom of 'expression' if you will, but now I want my freedom of linguistic expression back too. It will have to be better than just understanding basic command though - it needs to be at least a vocal equivalent of what you could type into Leisure Suit Larry, and respond in at least as creative a manner. :)

And if that part is solved by having all the parts in your game being played by actual humans that talk back, I can live with that too, but I could see the value of having proper 'actors' being set up to respond to you.

Fantastic generation IMO. I don't know about the general library, but thanks to downloadable demos and lower prices of XBLA the diversity of my 360 games collection is way better than that of Xbox 1 or PS2. Whereas in previous generation I would only buy either sequels to my favorites or the best reviewed titles, now I purchased a lot of titles I wouldn't have otherwise because a)they cost €10-€15 (or less during weekly deals) b) I could try them before purchasing. It may be a trivial point, but in past I'd think several times before spending €50 on a game that I heard was pretty good or quite innovative.

Fantastic generation IMO. I don't know about the general library, but thanks to downloadable demos and lower prices of XBLA the diversity of my 360 games collection is way better than that of Xbox 1 or PS2. Whereas in previous generation I would only buy either sequels to my favorites or the best reviewed titles, now I purchased a lot of titles I wouldn't have otherwise because a)they cost €10-€15 (or less during weekly deals) b) I could try them before purchasing. It may be a trivial point, but in past I'd think several times before spending €50 on a game that I heard was pretty good or quite innovative.

hm... now that you mention it...

My library of games on console has significantly reduced due to demos and trials. :D

>_>

Well, actually, I suppose there are fewer exclusives, so I just end up getting a lot of stuff on PC.

Last gen, I had the odd foreign game like Kingdom Under Fire... Otogi... Phantom Crash... bunch of other weird games. This gen... I only have two games made by non-western studios (NG2 and um... that volleyball game).

Best generation ever!!! Hands down!!!

First generation where every holiday season seem to be filled with must play games. So much so that some springs were better than some previous gens' best holiday seasons. For all the complaints about the huge increase in development cost per project, there sure were a ton of titles coming out at a much better rate than previous gens.

Next gen is going to be the worst ever? I seriously doubt it. Just because MS nor Sony seem to be looking to avoid massive losses due to costly hardware, it doesn't mean that we going to get the next gen equivalent of Wii graphics from those manufacturers. The PS2/Xbox/GC generation isn't considered a disappointing gen even though the hardware from Sony and Nintendo wasn't terribly expensive to manufacture or buy. The gap between what was possible on the PC and what was possible on console was a magnitude bigger than the gap that exists today.

There may have been some better wow moments (OoT, GTA3, GT and FF7) in previous gens but that tends to happen in a growing and maturing market. Just like the growth and maturation of special effects in action movies, they can only get so much bigger, louder and complex over time. Advances in storytelling, motion control, voice commands and a bunch of other features are prime to take up some of slack for the inability of manufacturers to increase visuals at ever growing rate. And these new and/or novel features will more readily incorporated and more on displayed in the console market than anywhere else.

PS1 had Gran Turismo 1&2, Metal Gear Solid, FF VII, Tekken 3 and Vigilance 8, more then enough awesomeness :)

Resident Evil. Then Resident Evil 2. The original Tomb Raider.
The first Wipeout was my frist game on the PS1 along with Toshinden. Wipeout had such an amazing impact on me. The music, the art direction...everything. Such an amazing experience. A real showcase of the visuals and sound from new technology. It was that one game that expressed so well the transition from old generation to the future generation. Racing, art and music never blended so beautifully before

It was also the console that made RPG's much more popular. It was an RPG heaven. Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve, Xenogears, Final Fantasy, Suikoden etc. The CD medium and 3D graphics gave new life to the flat top down view of previous RPG's. They didnt looke much different between each other before. At last the unique worlds could be expressed so much better with the 32bit consoles.

We also had Tekken and Soul Edge. Two of the best 3D fighting games of the time. Soul Edge really blew my mind.

The PS1 was a gaming heaven for me. Unfortunately no so much for the Saturn which mostly demonstrated the downside of 3D gaming since it didnt do well with its own 3D games. I have retrospectively tested many Saturn titles and the experience from 3D games wasnt as well represented or optimized as on the PS1. Most Saturn 3D games gave the impression that developers tried to shove in 3D graphics and gameplay just for the sake of having 3D without much thought. Multiplatform games typically looked and played worse in most cases due to worse framerates and pixelation. It was a huge contrast between the fast responsive 2D titles from the Genesis vs the slow sluggish gameplay and messy visuals on the Saturn's 3D games. Presentation was unbelievably bad too. Almost everything looked like a hasty job, with boring menus and sound effects. This continued even near its last days. The Saturn's exclusive titles consisted mostly of bad arcade ports. Very short games, sluggish controls, bad menus and in many cases incomplete visuals (see Virtual On, Sega Touring Cars, Steep Slope Sliders, Sonic R, Last Bronx). Nights and the Panzer Dragoon series (especially Saga) were some of the very few exceptions where proper care and attention to detail demonstrated what the Saturn was really capable of in 3D games. Owners of the Jaguar, Saturn or 3DO were left with a bitter taste from 3D.

PS1 had Gran Turismo 1&2, Metal Gear Solid, FF VII, Tekken 3 and Vigilance 8, more then enough awesomeness :)
What made these games extra special for me was that we played them a lot round friends houses. Driver was an awesome game where we all watched and shouted advice and took hotseat controls. Same with Metal Gear and GT2 (which looked amazing for the time), and Tekken was our first 3D fighting game. I guess if you were heavily into consoles and arcades prior to then, PS1 could be considered fairly generic, but for many of us PS1 opened up a world of games that weren't on Amiga or PC and we hadn't experienced before. Plus there was Mario Kart 64 on N64, which was the best karting game ever. It was a very fun time in gaming for me. PS2 was just incredible all round. This gen has been very good in games, no doubt, but it's lacked the excitement of the new IMO. Considering our hopes prior to this gen of dynamic worlds and stuff (remember the old Cell demo of flowers growing over time?), all it's really offered is well crafted games in the traditional moulds. At least in the main. There have been some great little titles, but nothing with the social aspect of prior gens where half a dozen of us would sit around a TV. And the online headaches have been a real fly in the ointment. almost every game bought for online gaming between friends has been lgitched in ways that ruin it, while the industry has imposed masses of competitive online play instead of the old local coop experience extended online. That has definitely marred this gen. Add in dying hardware to boot. No, no awards from me for this generation, and I am unsure about next-gen to boot.

Back