Hawken Announced - Mech FPS

Most annoying promo trailer ever. Huge text over gameplay, and constantly cutting to those annoying "Best of E3" awards. They really stretched out a minute amount of gameplay footage into a 2:30 minute trailer, and what they did show was obscured by text.

Just got the access for the limited Alpha 2 test stage. The installer loads a 32-bit DX9 version of the game.

Here's a shot from the setting menu:

3dbue.jpg

I only got through the training session for now. The multi-player mode is still troublesome to try - matchmaking is DOA for now, as well as manually connecting to the available servers.

The open beta is out now.

I've been playing a bit but don't like this game. Basically it's pay to win. The matchmaking system is worthless, pretty much everybody gets dropped in the same game and with a default mech your not gonna win against people with upgraded weapons. I won the second game I entered but only because everybody was a low level and thus didn't have any upgrades.

Controlls aren't great either. You get stuck a lot (your driving a freakin' mech, why can't it walk over it??) and the whole doding thing, I don't know how it works. Seems more like luck than skill. Also turret movement is way to slow. If you get assault from behind your screwed because turning takes forever. There is some kind of instant turn move but that only seems to work when you don't want it.

The only map I like is in the dessert, enough open space and not tons of levels with smallish corridors like on the other maps.

All in all I'm not impressed at all. Maps suck and game balance is unfair.

"Free-to-Play", if anything, will be the end of many talented developer teams, a waste of resources and a large loss of faith in the industry from PC gamers.

@Zaphod
Thanks. I checked out the demo on Xbox Live. The game is a bit "light" for my tastes. I want something grittier, more serious, more badass. Someone has got to be able to make a compelling mech game. If World of Tanks can be fun (and it is!), then World of Mechs would absolutely rock.

Back