Hawken Announced - Mech FPS

Heh, I would have thought it was CG if not for the obvious lack of AA. Very impressive.

Like the music too.

So Urban Tribes basically ... feels a bit claustrophobic though compared to tribes, and that camera wobble would start pissing me off real fast.

The artwork really is both impressive and clever - a lot of the buildings are apparently instanced, but the assets are complex enough to hide this very well.
The mech designs themselves are somewhat mixed though, they don't have enough character - and they clearly haven't considered how all that engine exhaust smoke would make it pretty hard to see from an FPS view ;)

ca.kotaku.com/5780912/nine-guy*s-giant-mechs-and-2011s-sexies*t-indie-game

Interview with devs. Only 9 guys worked on this for about nine months. Apparently they don't use a lot of normal mapping or spec maps either. Looks great anyway though.

Its soo jittery!
the lack of AA, the animations, the particles and the smoke/rocket trails!
ITS ALL too JITTERY!

Seems to have a lot of potential though!
There arent many fast paced modern mech games for pc!
Would be sweet with a very interactable evnviroment, and varied locations, add a jungle or forest with trees to hide through and break. :p

Looks promising - I like the overall sound editing.

But isn't it a bit too fast for a mech-style gameplay? It feels more like you're in a over-sized exoskeleton suite than a 100-ton earth-crushing machine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me(c)h, it's just a FPS with Battlesuits, not proper Mech's!

Someone should redo Mechwarrior 2 with more detailed models, tesselated terrain, modern bells and whistles like AF and AA, have customizable controls...

Yeah it looks like Shogo style Mech action. Mechwarrior was more tanks-on-the-battlefield style gaming with mechs out on open terrain or expansive cities and most of the mechs were beefy lumbering juggernauts (there were some little speedy jump-jetting mechs though). Mechwarrior also felt like a serious simulation of a complex vehicle and war scenario, unlike Shogo which felt like a shooter.

I never tried Heavy Gear.

Yeah it looks like Shogo style Mech action. Mechwarrior was more tanks-on-the-battlefield style gaming with mechs out on open terrain or expansive cities and most of the mechs were beefy lumbering juggernauts (there were some little speedy jump-jetting mechs though). Mechwarrior also felt like a serious simulation of a complex vehicle and war scenario, unlike Shogo which felt like a shooter.

I never tried Heavy Gear.

Heavy Gear was awesome. Rather than being mobile land battleships like some of the heavier Battlemechs from Mechwarrior, they are all relatively small (for a mech) focusing more on being maneuverable wearpons platforms than battleships that are slow and can take a beating.

Regards,
SB

With $10M under their belt I wish they'd do singleplayer...

The game looked super awesome when I saw the video, I'd LOVE to play a good mission-based SP mech game.

Back