Nokia's Present & Future

It's a fallacy to believe that Chinese consumers gravitate toward midrange and budget phones. Quite the contrary. If a phone doesn't communicate status it won't be a big seller.

It's a fallacy to believe that Chinese consumers gravitate toward midrange and budget phones. Quite the contrary. If a phone doesn't communicate status it won't be a big seller.

True..but cheap/midrange phones do still have a large market over there.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_celebrates_2_million_lumia_devices_sold_in_china-news-5653.php

Nokia reporting an impressive if not quite android/ios worrying. ....2m activations in china alone in the past few months...thats with supply shortages and new midrange and budget phones to hit soon in the coming weeks.

That story has been updated and proven to be false

http://www.dailytech.com/Samsung+To...martphone+Market+During+2012/article30091.htm

Nokias shares in China have been dropping like a rock.

That has nothing to do with 2m+ activations being true or not, the drop comes from about zero symbians sold.

french toasts link is the one that has been updated. My link was about Nokias shrinking marketshare in China. Wich yes comes from a drop in Symbian sales but their Lumia lineup has obviously not helped replace much of the lost marketshare

There was a pretty funny article with an interview with Elop in the swedish paper DI today. Apparently Elop thinks Nokia can beat Apple and he thinks WinPhone can become the third eco-system....

There was a pretty funny article with an interview with Elop in the swedish paper DI today. Apparently Elop thinks Nokia can beat Apple and he thinks WinPhone can become the third eco-system....

Funny indeed..

There's a non zero chance of monkeys flying out of his butt too, but that doesn't make it likely.

Funny thing, I remember once when people had the same attitude towards Android, and look what happened.
There is room for 3 major ecosystems in the mobile space, whether Microsoft will get WP to get notable share remains to be seen but it's possible.

Funny thing, I remember once when people had the same attitude towards Android, and look what happened.
There is room for 3 major ecosystems in the mobile space, whether Microsoft will get WP to get notable share remains to be seen but it's possible.

Was there an established and stronger-than-ever worldwide market - with a growth actually starting to slow down - for smartphones in 2009?

As far as I remember, there were people using iphones because they had big screens and were pretty (not as smartphones because they couldn't really install 3rd party apps by then), and people using Symbian S60v5 models as dumbphones because they wouldn't know how to use them for anything else.

I think the situation about having or not enough headroom for more players in 2013 is different than it was in 2009.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based from what I have read from various technology sites, the top 2 OS right now are Android and iOS; the battle for third place would be Windows, Symbian and BB OS.

Based from what I have read from various technology sites, the top 2 OS right now are Android and iOS; the battle for third place would be Windows, Symbian and BB OS.

The battle for (very distant) 3rd place would be BlackBerry 10 which apparently is overcoming expectations, Tizen and Windows Phone.

IMO, until Windows Phone ceases to be "phone" and starts being just Windows in a phone (windows 9?), microsoft doesn't stand a chance.

Furthermore, I'll be rolling in the floor laughing if Jolla ever gets an even marketshare with Nokia. Now that would be funny.

Symbian is not fighting anything, RIP.

WP8 and BB10 seem to be the strongest candidates for the "third place", but Sailfish has the advantage that most Harmattan/Meego/N9 software runs with it with just repackaging, and there are lots of developers who love the platform (even though there is not much big money)

Tizen has the backing of Samsung but it seems nobody loves Tizen.

Tizen has the backing of Samsung and Intel and it's the replacement for Bada.
And Bada, although it wasn't heavily marketed by Samsung, used to beat windows phone around in marketshare.

Symbian is not fighting anything, RIP.

WP8 and BB10 seem to be the strongest candidates for the "third place", but Sailfish has the advantage that most Harmattan/Meego/N9 software runs with it with just repackaging, and there are lots of developers who love the platform (even though there is not much big money)

There are only two real competitors for 3rd place, one has a near infinite pool of money, the other does not. Guess which survives to live another day.

Back