AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Either way, as long as AMD is shifting 7970s there is no reason to lower price. Note that all those bitching about AMD not slashing prices actually wants the card.

Cheers.

Not me. I don't want the 7970. But i'd be interested in the mid range 7870. Unfortunatly the 79xx are pushing the mid range prices way over. So i (and likely many others) won't even consider getting any amd(or nvidia) card. Don't bother mentioning the 77xx since they are a waste of money for no benefits to the folks who usually upgrade their PC.

Not me. I don't want the 7970. But i'd be interested in the mid range 7870. Unfortunatly the 79xx are pushing the mid range prices way over. So i (and likely many others) won't even consider getting any amd(or nvidia) card. Don't bother mentioning the 77xx since they are a waste of money for no benefits to the folks who usually upgrade their PC.

you could almost attribute this to the slow down in process shrinkage. AMD targeted people on 5XXX in its marketing slides. Given that we will see two generation on a single process you need to leave yourself room to move for the second (power and die space). The reality is people favoring both sides dont see that much value in 7970/680 vs 6970/580 given the price of both.

given this trend I hope AMD play it smart and only do 1 GPGPU "targeted" card per process but i doubt we will see that. Not that Tahiti is that GPGPU centric but i think most people would agree from a pure gaming performance perspective there is likely a more optimal balance then Tahiti.

And above all Barts (HD6800) was ~270mm² chip iirc and Pitcairn (HD7800) is ~220mm². And PitcairnXT requires less power components, and could be accompanied with cheaper cooling, because it's less TDP chip than BartsXT, even when HD7800 is max OCed (w/o chip overvoltage)
That's not quite true. Some reviews show PitcairnXT requiring slightly less power than BartsXT, some slightly more I guess it's luck of the draw (or test conditions). In any case the difference is small enough that these chips have the same power and cooling requirements for practical purposes.

Dave's comment was a bit...odd.

Offering lesser performance for a higher price is not any way to "build a brand". It's not rocket science.

And I doubt the market will stand for it, AMD will either increase the performance (raise default clocks, make a copy of Nvidia boost), lower the price, or sell near zero. Those are the options.

For the past 12 days, GTX 680 is sold out, so D-Day has not arrived just yet, but it will.

I believe Dave said that multi-monitor was fairly significant in this market segment at one point, so if you're doing that then the 7970 with 3GB would be a good choice and the driver support also makes it a good choice as well. If you're on multi-monitor then chances are you're an early adopter whom will be itching for more performance.

Let us also not forget that not every 'consumer' is a completely informed consumer. 3GB looks faster than 2GB for the same reason that partners still develop uber RAM SKUs 'just because'.

I believe Dave said that multi-monitor was fairly significant in this market segment at one point, so if you're doing that then the 7970 with 3GB would be a good choice and the driver support also makes it a good choice as well. If you're on multi-monitor then chances are you're an early adopter whom will be itching for more performance.

Let us also not forget that not every 'consumer' is a completely informed consumer. 3GB looks faster than 2GB for the same reason that partners still develop uber RAM SKUs 'just because'.

Non informed consumers will most probably go for the NV option since the brand is more popular.
Again market share, market share= more affordable prices.
Higher prices can actually have a negative effect on the brand and its value too, as consumers can't see what they throw their money for. ;)

Non informed consumers will most probably go for the NV option since the brand is more popular.
Again market share, market share= more affordable prices.
Higher prices can actually have a negative effect on the brand and its value too, as consumers can't see what they throw their money for. ;)

based off the steam software and hardware survey then aleast 1/2 buying people buying computers in the DX11 era must be "informed" people(47/53 is the split). I love your bias its so easy to pick on with raw facts :LOL:.

I see as you don't stop mentioning about my bias. :D My bias is to value my hard earned money. I don't print money too, so I and many like me will go for the most affordable option. And no, my bias is not towards NV if you guess it. :LOL: :mrgreen:

then where is your raging about the price of the 680 and its value(after all you could attribute the price difference between 7970 and 680 purely from a BOM perspective) and how having a mid range chip at high end prices will destroy Nvidia brand image.

then there is the deliberate attempts to distort the reality about past AMD performance relative to Nvidia.

if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...... then its a duck.

Incredibly lame April's fool joke... April fools are supposed to be something totally ridiculous or hilarious. That one was just like some regular rumour made up by some BS site. I don't find anything funny in that.

I looked at a overclock review of the 7970 vs the 680 and just couldn't understand how they got the results they did. Most user reviews I've seen shown something different. I started to read some of the comments and came across this post and thought that it would be more important to always manually set the fan speed to 85% or higher as a default option when using high OC. Just so you eliminate any throttling.

But that brings me to ask is there a general understanding of how throttling works for a video cardboard when high oc'ing is performed?

Back