NVIDIA Kepler speculation thread

This is an honest question. I have been poking around trying to figure out where all this came from. Am I understanding correctly that the "proof" that the 770 is a 680 from taking a 680 bios, upping the clock speeds a bit, and renaming the card or am I missing something?

My 560Ti is GF104b in the BIOS whereas the advertising always called it GF114. I can only guess that going +10 is cooler than the letter "b".

Those were supposedly new silicon revisions right?

:oops:

Of course no one would complain that GTX 570 is a GF110 and GTX 480 is GF100

My point is that if GK104's top sku is "rebadged" to a different product, lower in the totem pole among it's new family and faster, then why does it matter if it's "rebadged?" Comparing the 700 series to 600 series, every gtx7x0 will have improvements over it's equivalent named gtx6x0.

Uh, the 570 did differ in having less memory than the 480, though. In my mind it was never a future proof part. I thought people willing to pay that much for a near top-end product shouldn't have settled for less than 1.5GB at that time. I know someone who bought 2 in late 2011. For that kind of money, his system became pretty horrible for most games shortly after, in my eyes.

The gtx570 was essentially a rebranded gtx480. I don't remember anyone complaining about that.

I believe that by "essentially", you mean they were pretty much equal in terms of performance, but performance alone is not the only characteristic of graphics cards.

The 570 was based on a different chip, that shared the same architecture, but the similarities stop there. The 570 had better thermals, lower noise, better texture processing capabilities, less ROPs along with narrower bus width and added clock to compensate.

It was also 120 euros cheaper, which in total made it a great product. I really do hope the 770 comes anywhere close to matching the price/performance difference the 480 had with the 570.

Uh, the 570 did differ in having less memory than the 480, though. In my mind it was never a future proof part. I thought people willing to pay that much for a near top-end product shouldn't have settled for less than 1.5GB at that time. I know someone who bought 2 in late 2011. For that kind of money, his system became pretty horrible for most games shortly after, in my eyes.

The lower framebuffer really had me thinking back then, but I took the risk and got two 570s anyway. They served me well for two years. Actually I still run some games on them, for comparison's sake with my 7950s and they stand their ground admirably. Actually aside from Crysis 3, I haven't seen the 1280MB framebuffer being a real issue for 1080P.

My point is that if GK104's top sku is "rebadged" to a different product, lower in the totem pole among it's new family and faster, then why does it matter if it's "rebadged?" Comparing the 700 series to 600 series, every gtx7x0 will have improvements over it's equivalent named gtx6x0.

Huuum, well i dont know if it matter, personnally i dont care, peoples who need a GPU will get a higher clocked 680 at 670 prices.. And even if its still a 680 with higher clock, its good for them. Does it have the duty of been on a next series? Surely not, but well looking the situation, i dont think it really matter.

- If TDP is a bit down, good..
- If they are able to push the clock speed due to better TDP, Turbo 2.0 + better cooling, its all good. ( i dont imagine they have remove 25W on GK104 anyway, its still the same core with maybe a bit of tweaks on process of production )

- Will this card beat the EVGA, ASUS DCII, Gigabyte, Zotac retail OC 680 cards ? well surely not .. As some have bring extremely fast clockspeed on thoses cards and most are in 2 and 4GB version.

- Will this card beat the EVGA, ASUS DCII, Gigabyte, Zotac retail OC 680 cards ? well surely not .. As some have bring extremely fast clockspeed on thoses cards and most are in 2 and 4GB version.

Well don't be so sure about anything. NV effectively restrict voltage bumping on those AIB OC cards with their Greenlight program, remember?

Well don't be so sure about anything. NV effectively restrict voltage bumping on those AIB OC cards with their Greenlight program, remember?

Thoses cards are allready at a stock turbo clock speed of 1150-1176mhz ( min turbo, they go higher if TDP and temperature are not maxed ) ( with in general 1060-1100mhz non turbo clock speed ).. Most 680 i have seen goes at 1250+mhz without voltage change.

If really the 7GB/s are confirmed, Nvidia have use new, binned memory chips, and there at least, i know, only a few 680 can go as high stable on the memory clock.

So, the GTX780 SKU disables 3 SMX units in GK110.
The question here is, did NV distributed the disabled multiprocessors across the five GPCs, or they simply axed a whole GCP cluster (3xSMX), bringing the setup rate down to four primitives as well?

Gf110 was originally gf100b though, as shown by early bios shots

What difference does it make what they called it? Obviously GF110 was merely a "fixed version" of GF100. They could have called it GF100doneright but it would had been too obvious and consumed to much space on the chip itself as a codename :LOL:

Very dissapointing to only see 3GB on there as standard. Hopefully the 6GB models will be fairly common.

It should be pretty quick with a full 384bit interface though. The 770 looks interesting if it's really sporting 7Ghz memory and a (small) core boost over the 680. It should be a nice amount faster - if it's cheaper as well as it's name suggests it should be then I'd say that's a great card.

Unfortunately the rumour of $699 for the 780 doesn't bode well on that front.

It won't be $699.

---

Latest rumors have it $499 for the base release and up to $599 for custom ones.

$499 GTX780 with those specs??? How confident are you in that prediction? Sign me now please if true. I was going to wait until Maxwell, but if I can get a ASUS DCU or MSI Twin Frozr GTX780 for <=$550, I might cave in.

Last edited by a moderator:
$499 GTX780 with those specs??? How confident are you in that prediction? Sign me now please if true. I was going to wait until Maxwell, but if I can get a ASUS DCU or MSI Twin Frozr GTX780 for <=$550, I might cave in.

It's not my prediction just one I have seen recently. We will know in eight days what the real number is.

It's not my prediction just one I have seen recently. We will know in eight days what the real number is.
Sounds too good to be true, at least with these specs which would put it quite close to Titan performance (well for graphics not compute anyway). Make it drop a memory channel / ROP (doesn't look confirmed it says 3GB but we all know nvidia just loves asymmetric memory configurations...) and it would be close to GTX 770 instead though, at least if that one really comes with 7gbps memory...

I myself just cannot fathom buying a card with under 4GB GDDR5 at this point, if these rumours turn out to be true then Nvidia have once again gone the cheap route on memory for their high end cards(excluding titan).

Back