Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

Maybe they were going for a cinematic feel.

I refuse to believe 5GB of DDR3, 768 sps, and 16 rops is capable of making a 360 port look like that. It looks way better than Crysis 3 on PC to me.

dv spoke on GS yesterday form Crytek and talked for 10 minutes about how they are running on dev kits and pushing to their limits everyday and challenging themselves and it was all real time and in engine cut scenes (ship on fire)

What is the problem with the gameplay? Did you guys watch the showfloor captures? Those qte's everyone whines about are finishers...like in every fighter game you know. You don't have to use it...although this would be a bit weird, because they look stylish?!?

Graphics look crazy good. The landing on Normandie-esque game segment was very cool and nice gamedesign! The turtle strategy defense part was a brilliant idea and historically accurate.

So...I really don't know what the problem is?!?

A game, I want to insta-play!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a gigantic fan of crytek's stuff, but this game has my interest. Also very glad to learn that those aren't QTE, but instead combat flow finishers you don't have to use. I'm also getting a Batman Arkham Asylum vibe from the combat.

This might be the first Crytek game I actually really enjoy playing.

I'm not a gigantic fan of crytek's stuff, but this game has my interest. Also very glad to learn that those aren't QTE, but instead combat flow finishers you don't have to use. I'm also getting a Batman Arkham Asylum vibe from the combat.

This might be the first Crytek game I actually really enjoy playing.

I heard that one more.

I hope crytek can ace the multiplayer and make it competitive.

Kinda janky we've been through this a million times. Technically it's all on PC's aka dev kits.

Plus he says nothing about it being Ryse. No game mentioned.
Ryse runs on the actual console, I know that for a fact. And the crashing ship is all 100% real time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M67wgVAavrI
Guys from this video confirmed that those finisher prompts can be turned off.

And rewards for finishers can be changed from Life, XP to Strength etc

--
If the game had you against the Roman empire, I'd like it a lot better :)

Its vengeance story, You start in Rome, go to up to Brits and that get back to Rome for final vengeance.

--
And the crashing ship is all 100% real time.

It must be, its their cloth tech from CryEngine 3.5

It's good that they can be turned off but if they are essentialto leveling your characters skills then you'd really benefit from using them. It's reminding me of the original version of Ninja Gaiden 3 with all the Steel On Bones that are triggered way too easily and frequently. Action games are typically my favorite genre so I like being able to mix up combos and use a flashy play style. This looks too scripted and limited. I thought the arrow part looked awkward and kind of lame. Visually I think it looks good in motion until you like at it closely in the high res screenshots where it starts to look like a buffed up current gen game rather than a next gen game like The Division.

The game looks amazing. Nice to see Crytek making something other than Crysis. If the gameplay is good I'm buying.

What is the problem with the gameplay? Did you guys watch the showfloor captures? Those qte's everyone whines about are finishers...like in every fighter game you know. You don't have to use it...although this would be a bit weird, because they look stylish?!?

Graphics look crazy good. The landing on Normandie-esque game segment was very cool and nice gamedesign! The turtle strategy defense part was a brilliant idea and historically accurate.

So...I really don't know what the problem is?!?

A game, I want to insta-play!

Ehhhh. I'm totally with Nesh on this one. I thought the demo was horrific. Sure, the graphics looked neat. But the entire thing seemed more like a JRPG than an actual action game. Everything looked cinematic and cut-screened and pre-determined and "HIT X NOW".

I was completely turned off by watching the game demo, it just doesn't look like anything I'd be interested in playing. Despite the graphics and the scope, it seemed more as if we were along for the ride rather than actually determining what happens.

Perhaps that will change, but I want to play games. Not interactive movies.

I'm still debating on pre-ordering the One, and one of the reasons it's still up for debate is because I'm not sure which launch title(s) I want to buy. Ryse isn't going to be one of them based upon what they showed at E3.

Worst game MS showed off at the conference, like a second rate God of War without the cool mythological elements.

Though to be fair, Crytek are hardly a particularly creative studio, they seem to work mostly on iterations on a theme.

Ehhhh. I'm totally with Nesh on this one.

I think you confused me with someone else. I didnt post in this thread :smile:

edit: Although coincidentally I was thinking about God of War 3 lately and how this one compares with it. And to be honest considering what GoW3 did and what this one does on a next gen console, it is still underdelivering.

In general I have not seen a game demonstration yet that made me go "WOW THATS NEXT GEN"

Wonder if they'll expand on controlling small groups of soldiers (beyond the tortoise)... It kind of had a Kingdom Under Fire vibe there, though I'm not expecting much given the circumstances.

Game has a lot to show before I'd buy it. Different moves, different weapons, different enemy types, counters, dodging? It looks so simplistic in the combat. Like 1 attack button and 1 block button simple, but with nothing to add variety.

Game has a lot to show before I'd buy it. Different moves, different weapons, different enemy types, counters, dodging? It looks so simplistic in the combat. Like 1 attack button and 1 block button simple, but with nothing to add variety.

Yeah it looks more like a tech demo than a game right now (the quick-timey stuff during the presser didn't help). All things considered, this level of visuals so early on is encouraging for this generation.

Yeah it looks more like a tech demo than a game right now (the quick-timey stuff during the presser didn't help). All things considered, this level of visuals so early on is encouraging for this generation.

Yeah, I'm not saying it won't have these things on release. Right now there's not a lot for me to get excited about.

Game has very strange [dumbed down] combat system:
I’m on the battlefield. I’m stomping through the corpses of my comrades swinging my sword at anything that moves. I begin a combo, I slash twice and then whooom slow motion is initiated, shit is about to get ‘cinematic’. A button prompt hovers elusively above the sword I’m about to drive into the throat of my enemy… argh I’m too slow! The prompt flickers, disappears.

I missed it. Damn.

But then somehow, for some reason, I still complete the cinematic ‘kill’.

What?

Maybe it’s a bug I think, but no. Next time I deliberately press the wrong button. The kill goes ahead, no consequences. Then I try hitting no buttons whatsoever. The kill goes ahead. I put the controller on the table in front of me, the kill goes ahead.

What is going on here?

I ask one of the Crytek people hovering at the booth – is this a bug? Why am I completing kills when I hit the wrong button prompt? Or, worse, no button at all. Turns out it was a deliberate design choice.

“We don’t want the player to feel frustrated,” I am told.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/06/why-ryse-is-the-most-frustrating-game-of-e3/
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=589916

Back