Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

...Then in this july, Crytek basically pulled the plug on the project, moved the development to the Frankfurt studio, and layed off about half the Budapest studio. Practically nothing has been published about the game after that, not even rumors.

Interesting ...

I wonder if it was a specific studio thing, or something broader.

Could be kinect reception was shown to be generating a certain basis for what to expect on the platform, thus something more traditionally "hardcore" in use would fall flat as the existing base of kinect buyers and marketshare are casual/kids/family and wouldn't appreciate the project thus it needed retooling.

or...

Crytek just got preliminary NG dev kits at about that time (July) and thought (or were told) it would be better to shift development to xb720.

Or a combination of both!

None of the above as far as I've heard, but I'd rather not elaborate. For example I could be wrong...

Interesting ...

I wonder if it was a specific studio thing, or something broader.

Could be kinect reception was shown to be generating a certain basis for what to expect on the platform, thus something more traditionally "hardcore" in use would fall flat as the existing base of kinect buyers and marketshare are casual/kids/family and wouldn't appreciate the project thus it needed retooling.

or...

Crytek just got preliminary NG dev kits at about that time (July) and thought (or were told) it would be better to shift development to xb720.

Or a combination of both!

The first theory makes sense as that much late into the system's lifecycle releasing an exclusive title that's a Kinect hybrid title (confirmed by Phil Spencer on an interview by GT at E3 IIRC) doesn't seem to be the best choice for the game's potential success - as you said will the Kinect audience buy that game or will this game make the core audience buy a Kinect? I highly doubt that, seeing a core/more mature Kinect game like Rise of Nightmares doing that bad sales wise maybe it's a sign for MS to see that they have to stop trying to merge core games with Kinect...curious to see what they'll do with also Steel Battalion and Project Draco after the Rise of Nightmares fiasco.

On the other hand things are not so clear as we have Laa-Yosh hearing different things about the game, I guess we'll find out what going on with this game in the next months.

I finally watched the Ryse video, and all I can say is Crytek needs to give up trying to make games. That had to be the most tedious and boring "QTE style 'Press this button'" crap I've ever had to watch. They even had to skip some of the game play "in the interest of time". LOL. They should stick to technology or whatever else they're good at because they really suck at making fun and compelling game play. This game is already an epic fail imo, regardless of what it looks like.

Does it really take 600 people this long to make a turd?

I finally watched the Ryse video, and all I can say is Crytek needs to give up trying to make games. That had to be the most tedious and boring "QTE style 'Press this button'" crap I've ever had to watch. They even had to skip some of the game play "in the interest of time". LOL. They should stick to technology or whatever else they're good at because they really suck at making fun and compelling game play. This game is already an epic fail imo, regardless of what it looks like.

its speculated that they had the work done for Kinect with all the animations they reused for the quick time events that other wise would have be scrapped.

I have no personal interest in the game tho

There are some gameplay videos (not the conference demo) and it looks like QTEs are not mandatory.

IMO Ryse "looks" great, but is one of those games that is more tech demo than game and won't justify a $60 purchase, but will make a fun $20 bargain bin game at some point. :)

IMO Ryse "looks" great, but is one of those games that is more tech demo than game and won't justify a $60 purchase, but will make a fun $20 bargain bin game at some point. :)

I need to know more about the game, the demo is not great (gameplay) but I need to know more about history and more gameplay.

I got the impression it was optional, and that it would be similar to how finishers were done in Gladiator: Sword of Vengeance i.e. if you wanted the cool looking/faster kill. There was also the one time when the prompt showed up on one guy and he waited to attack another guy to get the prompt on both of them (kinda like the Arkham games).

Maybe if the difficulty is ramped up the prompts don't appear until more damage is done. :p In the demo it was like two normal strikes and then instant win basically. XD

Are the QTE prompts only for finishing moves though or is that the entirety of combat?

Optional, they can be ignored and you can keep mashing away. Edit: When you do see them it is a sure thing to get the kill in two hits.

What I hope is true is that after the tutorial you can turn them off? I just really breaks up the feel of the game to see these button prompts keep popping up.

It was development hell, You can read about it here:
http://www.polygon.com/e3-2013/2013/6/10/4395790/ryse-seven-year-development

Game doesnt have QTE, those prompts are finishers that You can ignore.

And You cant complain about Crytek's games gameplay, because it was stellar till Ryse. But i do think that Ryse will fail, it was just too long and too many shifts to make it good game. They've basically started it over 4 times through 7 years. Their first idea for Kingdoms was much better than this, imho:

Early_Concept_2006.jpg

===
I got the impression it was optional, and that it would be similar to how finishers were done in Gladiator: Sword of Vengeance i.e. if you wanted the cool looking/faster kill. There was also the one time when the prompt showed up on one guy and he waited to attack another guy to get the prompt on both of them (kinda like the Arkham games).

Maybe if the difficulty is ramped up the prompts don't appear until more damage is done. :p In the demo it was like two normal strikes and then instant win basically. XD

It was because of conference AI setup. At Microsoft booth NPCs dont have such low life and it can be seen in gamersyde off-screen gameplay:
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_e3_ryse_gameplay-14197_en.html

BTW Kinect is completely optional and game will have Multiplayer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope that multiplayer is something like Spartacus S1 or 300. Or Coop something like a wave based Big big battle in ancient rome like in the gladiator movie fighting against lion elephants or roman soldiers.

Not sure how competitive they can make it with 1vs1 to something like 4vs4.

Completely disagree! Besides its state of the art graphics, Crysis 3 gameplay is one of the best across the FPS games I played in the last years. Crytek knows how to do great games.

To me, Ryse looked freaking fantastic and this is my number one X1 exclusive title so far!

The framerate was quite cinematic for running on a PC though.

Maybe they were going for a cinematic feel.

I refuse to believe 5GB of DDR3, 768 sps, and 16 rops is capable of making a 360 port look like that. It looks way better than Crysis 3 on PC to me.

Back