Technological discussion on PS3 security and crack.*

I wonder how many PS3s that are out in the wild are still on 3.41?

I looked at a torrent site and the PS3 game that was downloaded most was RDR and it had about 1k downloads, compared to X360 which had 13k downloads, divided on 4 different releases. The PS3 RDR seemed to have only one release.

If we look at a game that was released after the jailbreak, I believe F1 2010 is one such title.

PS 3 : No release
X360 : Two releases @ 890 downloads

Pro Evolution Soccer 2011:

PS 3 : Two releases @ 845
X360 : No release

And not sure about jailbreak vs release date for NHL 11K but the numbers are

PS 3 : One release @ 457 downloads
X360 : Two releases @ 2680 downloads

I guess this is the wrong thread, feel free to move.

Them figures seem extremely low for 360, i doubt they give much of an accurate figure on how many hacked consoles there are. As i percentage though the PS3 piracy is quite high considering the time it has been out.

There's already a fake PSP emulator doing that. Not much different from people willing to run $RANDOM_WINDOWS_EXE downloaded from a shoddy site.

Except on Windows you have some protection from the OS and plenty of tools to protect you besides that and help you getting back up and running. And worst case scenario, reinstall. On the PS3 your screwed.

Besides, most Homebrew stuff is shady to begin with, at least until they free themselves from the SDK

Except on Windows you have some protection from the OS and plenty of tools to protect you besides that and help you getting back up and running. And worst case scenario, reinstall. On the PS3 your screwed.

Besides, most Homebrew stuff is shady to begin with, at least until they free themselves from the SDK

Just gotta be smart. Never be the first to try something and allways make sure what you get has been tested and confirmed by others. I've seen enough ps3s and xbox 360s brick themselves that I don't believe for a second that a hacked ps3 is more pronned to being bricked.

Heh, I was merely pointing user stupidity, not platform A vs B.

Some people seem to be working on an SDK alternative already. It will take a while to get there, though. Had all this happened 3 years ago I would have been very excited about playing with Cell + RSX. At this point not so much, not enough to even bother trying the hack.

Still, I'm looking forward to seeing the so wanted XBMC port to the PS3.

Just gotta be smart. Never be the first to try something and allways make sure what you get has been tested and confirmed by others. I've seen enough ps3s and xbox 360s brick themselves that I don't believe for a second that a hacked ps3 is more pronned to being bricked.

I know zero about the 360 hack, but from what i understand it´s pretty easy to brick the hacked the PS3, and there is afaik, no way back. Don´t know how it works with the 360, don´t even know how the hack works :)

I know zero about the 360 hack, but from what i understand it´s pretty easy to brick the hacked the PS3, and there is afaik, no way back. Don´t know how it works with the 360, don´t even know how the hack works :)

I wonder if this would help those bricked ps3's:

"French site PS3GEN has reported that PS3 Developer RichDevX, is working on a payload, to get the PS3 into Service Mode,here is a translated quote from the source:

As shown in this first image, we can see the red box on the XMB showing that the console actually went into service mode. In this mode, it is possible to run specific software, including one allowing the domwgrade (the opposite of update, ie back to a previous firmware). Who says so says downgrade opportunity to go 3.15 for the benefit of new and more otheros hack with PSGroove.

Payload through this, it is also possible to run each time you start the console, loading a file. Self from a USB key as explained above. This could allow the hack using only one time a dongle or other, then your USB stick could complete the task alone. Advances in the underground world push the limits even further, watch this."

source: http://www.ps3hax.net/2010/09/richdevx-service-mode/

about the fake PSP jailbreak bricking PS3. it seem that The ps3 can be revived by using the recovery menu, to flash to the same firmware version using the official file from sony. (according to posts on psx-scene).

i heard that some backup managers already bypass the check for moh, any truth to that?

One person claimed to have found a work-around for Medal of Honor, until he realized he was messing around with the 2007 Medal of Honor. That news got around a bit before he posted his apology.

And in other news, apparently someone leaked most of Sony's 3.41 SDK. One of the homebrew devs that helped leaked it was most interested in dynamic themes, so there's probably nothing earth-shattering in it. Still, it's not a good sign for Sony's ability to keep a lid on things.

One person claimed to have found a work-around for Medal of Honor, until he realized he was messing around with the 2007 Medal of Honor. That news got around a bit before he posted his apology.

And in other news, apparently someone leaked most of Sony's 3.41 SDK. One of the homebrew devs that helped leaked it was most interested in dynamic themes, so there's probably nothing earth-shattering in it. Still, it's not a good sign for Sony's ability to keep a lid on things.

Well SDK 341 had already leaked, this is just the final stage of leaking to the public. I wouldn't read too much into it though, if SDK 350 leaks then serious questions need to be asked about SCE's security net.

Nifty!

About the 3.42 games not working..

http://psgroove.com/?p=1631

I find the text in that article very optimistic, since it would in principle require a new hack of the 3.42 firmware in order to get anything decrypted? And the extra layer of USB protection kind of rules out the only known vector..

Well it doesn't necessarily need to hack the new firmware. As long as they can get the keys they don't care whether it's through brute forcing it or hacking or a leak. But yes it means 3.41 is not likely to play newer games for some time and they can make it even harder by adding new keys with every successive firmware that each game made after such date uses.

Ha ha, may be not just one person. ^_^

Who knows about the master key ? If he/she/them be missing, then Sony Ninjas may have already been dispatched since the first JB leak.

Ha ha, may be not just one person. ^_^

Who knows about the master key ? If he/she/them be missing, then Sony Ninjas may have already been dispatched since the first JB leak.
Theres also the question of what do they gain from leaking it?
The first Jailbreak got reversed in a few days, theres not to much opportunity for getting filthy rich.
This leaves pissing of Sony and placing yourself in the gun sight of a horde of lawyers.

Back