Deus Ex 3 (PC)

It doesn't seem to work very well anyway, at least not on my system. My firewall keeps blocking the program from accessing the internet, so I haven't seen any ads since installing the patch.

I managed to get my hands on a X1950XTX 512MB (a funky Crossfire edition at that). I've been wanting to experiment with modern D3D9 games and an old card. Yes the game runs fine on the card but it's not particularly playable most of the time. 12-25 fps with hitching too.

Settings were all normal. Added FXAA High (barely affects it), Vsync, Triple Buffering. 1680x1050. Run on a Phenom II @ 3.7 GHz.

So while yes it is Shader Model 3, it's not exactly within the reach of even this peak form SM3 card at this resolution.
(...)

Even with normal settings, it seems the game still looks better than the console versions.
Lowering the resolution to ~720p would probably give you a steady framerate. To think a 5 year-old card would run the game that well is impressive, to say the least. I guess the 6:1 PS-to-VS ratio really paid off in R580. G71 cards probably have less than half the performance of that.

Dont you have a child you could sell ?

I will pray for you
"Oh Gaming Gods take pity on one of your devout followers, bestow upon her the mooler/dosh/wonga to purchase the Gaming Goodness that was made in your honour
so she will not stray into the evil path of the console and let her be delivered back into the Glorious P.C Gaming Master Race"
So say we all..............

I guess the 6:1 PS-to-VS ratio really paid off in R580. G71 cards probably have less than half the performance of that.
It's hard to say for sure but yeah I imagine that most games now will run better on R580. But I have found some games that won't work on it which is disappointing. Maybe the chip has been rather future proof but AMD has abandoned it. Hard Reset doesn't render properly and Dark Athena runs at like 5 fps for some reason regardless of settings. I don't know if a 7900 GTX would run those games. Maybe I need to get one of those cards now lol.

I have a G70 card and at least in some Source based games the thing is really slow even on medium setting. I found that upping the shader quality is the real killer, AF also. There's just one simple explanations for all this -- lack of proper driver support. Hardware deficiencies are the other point. R580 actually has some significant drawbacks compared to G70/71, to be honest, but it's threaded pixel shader core compensates quite well most of them.

Well it's mostly the fill-rate (Z and TEX) and some features, like the lack of hardware FP texture filtering and VTF. Some one could probably point to the less flexible vector MADD co-issue in R500 arch.

Finished the game.

when I thought I'd get to use the plasma gun, rocket and grenade launchers, etc...

the game ends with no big boss to defeat...

oh well... but I really enjoyed the game

Back