Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2011]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only watched up to TDU2 but I disagree with this:

Test Drive Unlimited 2 renders at native 720p on both formats, with the usual 2x MSAA anti-aliasing solution on the 360. Meanwhile, PS3 owners get what looks like a custom edge-smoothing solution that looks a touch smoother, albeit with some added blur that affects the whole screen, similar to the RSX's hardware quincunx anti-aliasing. The end result is that both versions feature a similar amount of jaggies, with a fair amount of edge shimmering in places, but the 360 game comes across as slightly cleaner.

Look at the bushes at 0:06 in the first vid. There also seems to be more "pop-in" in the 360 version which isn't mentioned.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-xbox360-vs-ps3-round-29-face-off?page=3

The bushes are being rendered differently. Seems like proper blending (or other) on PS3 vs alpha test.

I don't envy you guys about Crysis 2, there is no objective analysis yet but the internet has already exploded...

I don't envy you guys about Crysis 2, there is no objective analysis yet but the internet has already exploded...

DF or Crytek? XD

Pretty surprise about the resolution... in the video from now I have noticed more the subhd on crysis 2 ps3 version than homefront...
Could be a few things for Crysis 2: the frame blending, their edge post-process, and the upscale method. The HUD stretching that some folks have noticed may be indicative of them letting RSX upscale.

A software upscale needs to be cheap, so there may not be much interpolation going on that would have resulted in blur (i.e. sharper upscale result).

I haven't come across any decent footage of C2 to look at the edge post-process, but there was the siggraph presentation describing the alternatives they had in mind, including a screenshot example. It seemed more like a blur filter to me, but eh.

DF or Crytek? XD

Could be a few things for Crysis 2: the frame blending, their edge post-process, and the upscale method. The HUD stretching that some folks have noticed may be indicative of them letting RSX upscale.

A software upscale needs to be cheap, so there may not be much interpolation going on that would have resulted in blur (i.e. sharper upscale result).

I haven't come across any decent footage of C2 to look at the edge post-process, but there was the siggraph presentation describing the alternatives they had in mind, including a screenshot example. It seemed more like a blur filter to me, but eh.

Wait a minute, forgive me. You are saying the blur effect on the ps3 could be caused more to the custom AA than the upscaling? I understood right? The upscaling on the ps3 could be hardware, so RSX & not so dramatic ?

Wait a minute, forgive me. You are saying the blur effect on the ps3 could be caused more to the custom AA than the upscaling? I understood right? The upscaling on the ps3 could be hardware, so RSX & not so dramatic ?

I meant a combination of things, but their post-process solution was pretty blurry in the presentation example. I hesitate to point fingers though because I'm not clear on its use in the retail code. At least in motion, the frame blend & upscale can be particularly blurry on the view weapon if there's enough bobbing.

I meant a combination of things, but their post-process solution was pretty blurry in the presentation example. I hesitate to point fingers though because I'm not clear on its use in the retail code.

Thanks a lot. I hope at the end the PR 'statement' will be true (about the marginal differences). I found even COD: Blops not so bad after all on the ps3 compared to 360, a part low buffer. It seems this time the buffer will be good. I'm pretty curios wheter the resolution choice depend more for the better buffer or only for the GI...

MJP said:
They didn't use object motion blur, just a very simple form of camera motion blur.
Actually they did both. Object motion-blur was one of those things that mapped nicer to PS2 hw then D3D Vertex Shaders.

It had object motion blur too my friend

They didn't really use any object motion blur shader, for obvious reasons, but they had did have some sort of implementation that mimicked this particular effect.
Ofcourse it was like a hack..just like their HDR, fur shading and volumetric fog implementation.

Remember that it is the effect that matters, not particular code/api with which it is created.

The Digital Foundry comparison for Crysis 2 is up.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-crysis2-face-off

I have looked at their 3D examples, and Crytek really uses only three flat layers. Calling this "stereoscopic" is a complete and utter joke. The entire game environment is flat, with a cardboard cutout of a weapon floating in front of it.

Digital Foundry mentioned some super-subtle parallax in the game world, but I didn't see any. They don't appear to have a video up though, just the screenshots.

Crysis 2 runs at native 720p resolution on the Microsoft platform, PS3 operates at a base resolution of 1024x720.

So, it is actually 1280x720 on 360? In both single player and multiplayer? Wasn't it supposed to be 1152x720?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back