3D Gaming*

It would also be a synergystic device partnership, with buyers of Sony 3D TVs wanting a PS3, and subsequent software, to use it, so a sale of a TV would generate both profit on the device and increased PS3 user base. For all 10,000 3D TV buyers! :p

That's why I thought they should take the opportunity to implement co-op or split screen support at the same time. :)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/3729364/Stampede-to-3-D-despite-scant-content
Football fans in Australia will be able to tune into a 3-D broadcast of the All Whites-Socceroos pre-World Cup clash tonight, but New Zealand followers are out of luck.

Retailers began selling a range of Samsung models this month ranging in price from $3399 to $5499.

Samsung said thousands of televisions had been sold in New Zealand and it had had to ship extra product in to meet demand.
I havent had a TV for more than 10years so Im not that interested, but the price premium is lower than I thought it would be ~+35%, seems like the uptake is quite larges as well. thousands in NZ == 100,000s in the US

Just ask a person, who needs extremely different glasses for each eye...

Some time ago, I always got extreme headaches, when working on my computer... then I went to the optician (?), which deduced, that I needed new glasses... One eye was nearly correct, while the other was extremely off... after I got my new glasses, my depth perception rose INCREDIBLY. I don't know if this is placebo or anything else... but I guess this is comparable.

I am with you here, as I've had this problem all of my life, but it was due to an accident when I was five years old. Even with glasses on, with my left eye alone, I cannot see what I am writing here properly without serious concentration, yet my right eye is perfect. Without my glasses on I have no perception of depth at all. The 3D thing is all well and good, but watching Avatar for example, it's a pain to place one set of glasses on top of another set of glasses.

Avatar 3D coming in Nov 2010 but only exclusive to Panasonic 3DTVs for a period:
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4653

According to HollywoodinHidef.com, a 3D Blu-ray release of Avatar 3D will come out in November 2010, but at least for the several months it will only be available for the buyers of Panasonic 3D Blu-ray equipment. In turn, Disney is reportedly close to signing a similar deal with Sony Electronics to bundle the 3D Blu-ray of Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland with the purchase of Sony 3D hardware.

Siliconera explores western developer support for 3DS:
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/05/23/siliconera-sounds-off-western-support-for-3ds/

It's an interview with Renegade Kid (Dementium: The Ward) founder Jools Watsham:

Jools: Everyone seems very excited about the 3DS. I know I am. I think the beginning of any new platform’s life is the best time to release original games. They have a much better chance of selling due to the limited selection of games available. And, if you manage to release a good title, there’s the chance of releasing a sequel and a new brand is born.

Jools: Yes, I think the number of US developers supporting the 3DS is going to be larger than it has been for the DS in terms of teams who are focusing on creating original so-called “core” games. I think we’ll see a lot of the current Wii and iPhone developers adding the 3DS to their development plans. However, I don’t expect many 360/PS3 teams to move onto the 3DS due to what is assumed of its graphical power not matching that of the 360/PS3. But, for us the upgrade in graphical power is awesome and exciting.

i was going to make another thread about 3d rendering but saw there was already a 3d gaming thread so thought this was fine...

so true 3D rendering will utilize a unique render from two perspectives.

given the following scenario in front of you lays a wall parallel to your field of vision
image4e.jpg

since your left eye will be able to see the left side of the wall and the right eye the right side of the wall.

do 3d games currently on the market actually do this?

or do they just take the Z buffer data and just skew a 2d slice?
i made an image to demonstrate this
(*so the trick is to focus on something in the distance like the wall next to your monitor then without refocusing sorta move your eyes towards the image)
sonic3d.gif

also while close objects look different from two perspectives at some distance an object will look the same from both angles. I just see alot of potential to very efficiently render a 3D image though redundancy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything beyond 50 meters should be indistinguishable in real life, if I recall correctly. Would be nice to see that capitalized on in 3D games to reduce the overhead. Perhaps even the current driver based solutions could.

do 3d games currently on the market actually do this?

Yes almost all solutions today use completely independantly rendered image, it's by far the easiest way to retrofit existing games.

Samsung's 3D Plasma available now:
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Plasma/3D/Samsung/Samsungs_3D_Plasmas_Available_Now/4764

Both the 7000 and 8000 series plasmas offer 3D capability and extras like Internet@TV that let you access social media and video streaming services. They've got 1080p resolutions, an ultra-thin design and an increase in energy efficiency over last year's models.

If you pick up one of Samsung's plasmas in conjuction with a Samsung Blu-ray Player, you'll be able to pick up the 3D Starter kit – which contains a 3D Blu-ray version of 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and two pairs of 3D glasses – for free.

Sony soliciting user-generated 3D content:
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...tion_Gives_You_a_Shot_at_Fame_and_Prizes/4766

This one goes out to all the aspiring filmmakers out there. Or to the folks who aren't, but still want a shot at winning some cool stuff from Sony. The company needs 3D content to give out with their new TVs, and to generate that content, they're holding a contest that gives you a shot at some sweet Sony prize packages. They're looking for ten short videos (5-10 minutes) that demonstrate 3D in the best way possible. If you win, your short will be included on a disc given away with every 3D television Sony sells, which, if nothing else, is some great exposure. But don't worry, you can get stuff too. If you're in the top three, you'll get a 3D home theater system including a BRAVIA television. The next seven winners just get the BRAVIA.

Pop-Box settop box to offer stereoscopic 3D:
http://eon.businesswire.com/portal/...d=news_view&newsId=20100521005504&newsLang=en

PopBox™ today announced that in tandem with RealD Inc., a leading 3D technology provider for cinema, home and professional applications, it will equip all PopBox devices with the ability to display high-definition 3D content. PopBox is the first over-the-top set-top box to support the stereoscopic RealD Format for the delivery and display of high-quality 3D content. PopBox will ship 3D-ready at launch, so consumers can enjoy 3D content on all 3D-ready HDTVs.

PopBox builds on the success of Syabas’ award-winning Popcorn Hour lineup of Network Media Tanks, the Popcorn Hour A-200 and C-200. All Popcorn Hour A and C series devices will also have access to the RealD Format to enable 3D viewing.

PopBox will be available soon, and is currently available to pre-order at Amazon.com. PopBox retails for $129.99, and PopBox Wireless for $149.99.

EDIT: Where are the monitor guys ? They need to step up their 3D effort.

I still hope for Zalman to bring updated versions of their polarized light LCDs... especially with higher resolution, since their version halves resolution in 3D mode. I simply don't like those huge, heavy, battery eating, expensive shutter glasses... plus I already have glasses, and for polarized light, there are clip ons for people like me.

Sony, Samsung meeting seen focusing on LCD panels:
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUS... / US / Technology)&utm_content=Google Reader

South Korean media said Sony Executive Deputy President Hiroshi Yoshioka, Samsung CEO Choi Geesung and its chairman's son and COO Jay Y. Lee would also attend the meeting to discuss smooth panel supply for Sony as well as cooperation in 3D TVs.

For Samsung, cooperation with Sony in 3D content would be beneficial given the Japanese maker's strength in content and games as the South Korean company has a long way to go to beef up its content and software offering for phones and Web TVs.

huge, heavy

The Samsung glasses weigh 35 grams. Is that really so heavy? Also, apparently they don't need so much juice these days. Apparently they're single (large) grey LCD type pixels? I can imagine they don't cost much power.

I wear normal glasses... adding ANOTHER pair of glasses is ALWAYS huge and heavy... it simply sucks. Polarized glasses allow for battery free, cheap (under 10€), and lightweight glasses...

But... this is just me talking, once of the billion people wearing glasses^^

I wear normal glasses... adding ANOTHER pair of glasses is ALWAYS huge and heavy... it simply sucks. Polarized glasses allow for battery free, cheap (under 10€), and lightweight glasses...

But... this is just me talking, once of the billion people wearing glasses^^

Yes. I wear glasses too. I much prefer lenses, but my eyes seem to reject them unfortunately.

So far though, it hasn't bothered me at the cinema at all. The polarised glasses I wore were light, but those Samsung glasses are just as light! 35g is little!

My glasses weigh 30 g, but my glasses aren't as far forward on the bridge of my nose as separate glasses have to be.

Ideally someone should create clip on shutters (still with partial legs, so they can put the weight of the battery and electronics further to the back, just not fully extended to the ears ... structurally it would just hang from the clips).

PS. hell, if you're into DIY you could probably do this yourself.

I've said it before, but my partner wears glasses and the nvidia ones on top without issue. Sure it would be great without them, but they're not that heavy or bulky.

It's ages between recharges. Not even days, we're talking weeks. The LC appears to be the same kind you'd get in a solar powered pocket calculator. It really doesn't need much juice.

Back